This is done out of love, but I think there it a bit of a problem with the WAN show...

So a quick glance through the comments on the latest WAN show will highlight the issue..... It's the eating and chewing of Savage Jerky whilst on microphone. For me and a lot of others is makes the show unwatchable and I personally had to skip the majority of the show. It can't be good for business for Savage - some people are literally saying that they wouldn't buy the product because of it!

I've added a few of the comments below, this is from 3 mins of looking....

Let's just get this straight, I LOVE the WAN show but this can't go on....

Screenshot_20190902_102333.jpg

Screenshot_20190902_102641.jpg

Screenshot_20190902_102548.jpg

Screenshot_20190902_102524.jpg

Screenshot_20190902_102443.jpg

Screenshot_20190902_103014.jpg

Screenshot_20190902_102416.jpg

Screenshot_20190902_102739.jpg

mocking-spongebob-1556133078.jpg?crop=0.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

It doesn't bother me at all but, they probably should only eat it while doing the sponsor spots so people who are sensitive to this kind of thing don't have to skip around.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

Yea, I hate that noise. Usually that means I skip the sponsor spot(s) where they eat it and any news articles afterwards. 

Apparently that's just 'a thing' some people have - hating other people eat and such.

I'm also not a fan of when - after the ad spot - they start talking about their difficult bowel movements because of the jerky.

Those two things alone make me not want to buy that product, good thing they can't even send it to where I live - this food lacks the necessary health certificate.

I understand they like this food and would prefer not to starve during the show, but it almost seems like they should just take a 5 minute intermission to eat, instead of (IMO) ruin the next ad spot(s)/news article.

But they can do whatever they want, I'm probably just unreasonably bitching.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

20 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Apparently that's just 'a thing' some people have - hating other people eat and such.

But they can do whatever they want, I'm probably just unreasonably bitching.

It is a real thing:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misophonia

But yes i have also stopped watching the Savage jerky show.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

Huh. I don't think I've ever even noticed the noises they make when eating savage jerky. I'm not sensitive to such things. That said, I do have a thing where I see people chew on lollipop-sticks/those wooden sticks from ice-cream/similarly stiff, hard/semi-hard sticks; seeing such causes my stomach to turn, makes me feel queasy and if I continue to watch I'll get a spontaneous gag-reflex as well. Makes me wonder if it tickles the same stuff in one's brain as misophonia.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Easy enough to solve, just close the browser.  Works for me, I do it as soon as I notice that SJ is a sponsor.  I just wait until Sunday and watch TWiT instead. 

I honestly didn't even notice that he was eating jerky during a long period. Why are they concentrating on the eating noise instead of what they are actually saying? It's not hard to tune out noise.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I don't think this is a actual "Issue" per say, more just an annoyance. I hate the sounds of eating with a passion as I'm sure a good majority of people do but it doesn't take away from the quality of the content and if anything, it makes the WAN show more of a chill content experience rather than some over produced generic podcast.

1 minute ago, VegetableStu said:

that's what I'm thinking too, but there's a few out there who might have a severe psychological reaction to that (and I don't really want to use the "how are they still around" train of thought because that's probably too insensitive) ._.

I understand that completely but lets be real here, almost anything can have a severe physiological reaction to it. If they were to try to avoid all the things that can cause that, there would be no content left.

Just now, VegetableStu said:

yeah I respect where you're coming from too. it's something that really has no absolute answers (especially in a "hate if they remain, hate if they yield" situation)

Exactly, there is no "correct" way to go about avoiding or not avoiding those types of things. There will always be someone not happy with the outcome.

I clicked on this thread expecting some BS reasoning about how someone thinks the WAN Show should change, but this is actually a very valid point and I completely agree. In the past it's been a minor annoyance but in the latest episode it was particularly bad. Eating on camera takes skill and deliberate attention to taking small bites, chewing quickly and quietly, and then swallowing before speaking. The food being jerky definitely does not help.

As some have mentioned I do actually suffer from Misophonia - I find the noises can border on actually causing my physical discomfort - I know that's totally my issue but it does seem that quite a few people are fed up of 'the savage Jerky show'

5 minutes ago, David Plowie said:

As some have mentioned I do actually suffer from Misophonia - I find the noises can border on actually causing my physical discomfort - I know that's totally my issue but it does seem that quite a few people are fed up of 'the savage Jerky show'

Yah, I don't have physical discomfort but chewing/smacking like that can cause me to go from 0 to rage mode pretty quick in a lot of cases, after this last WAN show I found myself cussing up a storm at nothing because of it before I just stopped watching realizing it was going to take up the last half hour of the show. Most of the time I can ask politely that people stop (and they usually do) but when I'm trying to watch the WAN show and it's recorded, I can't really do that.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

7 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Huh. I don't think I've ever even noticed the noises they make when eating savage jerky. I'm not sensitive to such things. That said, I do have a thing where I see people chew on lollipop-sticks/those wooden sticks from ice-cream/similarly stiff, hard/semi-hard sticks; seeing such causes my stomach to turn, makes me feel queasy and if I continue to watch I'll get a spontaneous gag-reflex as well. Makes me wonder if it tickles the same stuff in one's brain as misophonia.

It's just a personal thing some people have..

The thing you mentioned kind of reminds me of that feeling that most feeling have when people use their nails on chalkboard.

Personally I have that same feeling when dealing with cotton balls.. Just typing this out makes me.. Feel annoyed/hurt in a weird way. Or the candy 'Maltesers' which are small cookies-like balls covered in chocolate. Hate those things, because of the crunchy noise they make..

Or sometimes I personally even experience this feeling with sheets paper.

6 hours ago, TetraSky said:

I honestly didn't even notice that he was eating jerky during a long period. Why are they concentrating on the eating noise instead of what they are actually saying? It's not hard to tune out noise.

The latest WAN Show was okay, but there were some episodes in the past which just made me not want to watch it anymore because of the constant 'smacking' noises during the talking.

I really wish I could tune that sound out, but it's like a loud obnoxious 'trigger' sound to me.

7 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Yah, I don't have physical discomfort but chewing/smacking like that can cause me to go from 0 to rage mode pretty quick in a lot of cases, after this last WAN show I found myself cussing up a storm at nothing because of it before I just stopped watching realizing it was going to take up the last half hour of the show. Most of the time I can ask politely that people stop (and they usually do) but when I'm trying to watch the WAN show and it's recorded, I can't really do that.

It's like when people are slurping noodles or soup, absolutely disgusting :/?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 hours ago, Minibois said:

It's like when people are slurping noodles or soup, absolutely disgusting

I think you'd absolutely despise me when I eat some cheap-o ramen. xD

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

@LinusTech This might be worth you being aware of?

There is a lot of love for the WAN show out there but it seems that despite its lack of nitrates, there isn't too much love for the Savage Jerky ASMR show.

@LinusTech   @Slickyou might want to see this pls stop having the gerkey on the wan show for the whole thing pls keep it to the sponser part love the WAN Show apart from that as many people have said thanks ben

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

Anybody know of a way we can get any LMG staff to see this? I'm not really sure of the best way.

9 hours ago, David Plowie said:

Anybody know of a way we can get any LMG staff to see this? I'm not really sure of the best way.

the names in orange, like in the post above yours, means they're tagged.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

23 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

Easy enough to solve, just close the browser.  Works for me, I do it as soon as I notice that SJ is a sponsor.  I just wait until Sunday and watch TWiT instead. 

Well the point of criticism is so that something can improve. If everyone just stopped watching without explaining why LTT would have no idea what they did wrong.

22 hours ago, TetraSky said:

For some people it is hard to tune out. Imagine if a teacher was dragging their nails along a chalkboard and when someone asked them to stop just went "listen to what I am saying instead of the noise my nails are making". It would just seem rude and disrespectful right?

During the next WAN show I want you to put this on in another tab, on a fairly high volume, and then come back to me and say "nope, I just tuned it out and it didn't harm the watching experience at all".

21 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

for them to do live, they're going to need a push-to-mute or -lower every time they're eating or drinking. which going by the extra work that they'd have to remember to do...

Or just not eat it after the sponsor segment.

20 hours ago, Minibois said:

It's like when people are slurping noodles or soup, absolutely disgusting :/?

It’s called miso phobia or something. 

I work in wine where it’s absolutely required to slurp as you drink (it aerates and releases quite a lot of flavour).

For soup, similar thing, it aerates and cools hot soup allowing you to drink the soup at it’s hottest, freshest and most flavourful. It’s how you’re meant to drink soup and in many Asian cultures it’s (very) rude to not slurp soup/noodles.