Windows 10 1803 fails to update to 1903

LewisSpring

Hey all,

I've got a laptop on 1803, which is wanted to be updated to 1903.

However, Windows Update gives the error code 0x80070005.

Google searches haven't help fixed the problem unfortunately.

I've tried DISM, SFC and the media creation tool. DISM and SFC complete sucessfully as far as I know, and the media creation tool gives a error message "Windows 10 installation has failed".

I'm not wanting to reinstall, since the laptop is not mine.

Thanks!

UTC/GMT (Except during BST)

1 minute ago, Cvet76 said:

I've had a problem last year when my wind10 wouldn't update from 1709 (or whichever) to 1803 and I formatted the whole system and reinstalled it with a fresh image downloaded from MS. No problem since.

I'll keep that in mind. I hope I don't have format it for the person though.

Hit up Microsoft support, preferably their live chat, they can probably help.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

Hit up Microsoft support, preferably their live chat, they can probably help.

Not the first time i've spoken to them recently.

Will do.

48 minutes ago, TheLewisS1 said:

Hey all,

I've got a laptop on 1803, which is wanted to be updated to 1903.

However, Windows Update gives the error code 0x80070005.

Google searches haven't help fixed the problem unfortunately.

I've tried DISM, SFC and the media creation tool. DISM and SFC complete sucessfully as far as I know, and the media creation tool gives a error message "Windows 10 installation has failed".

I'm not wanting to reinstall, since the laptop is not mine.

Thanks!

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-error-0x80070005-need-a-fix-click/e4cb8700-f215-4f1a-8bd4-6457ac619c19

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

31 minutes ago, TheLewisS1 said:

Not the first time i've spoken to them recently.

Will do.

This is uncle billys will for us,, to suffer and use his OS.  THe 1809 was a disaster.  I upgarded the first release and it had many bugs and I was seeing deleted stuff come back.  For some it would delete all their data.  Anyhow at third release effort they fixed everything and updated the original 1809 so no real issues but not perfect.  With 1903 they really fixed a lot of stupid bugs and some changes.  I would definitely recommend doing the once every 6 month huge update.  See what chat support says.    

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I spoke to a "Windows Advisor" and they directed me to the Windows Update Tool (something I wasn't aware of) - I'll try this if that doesn't work

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

This is uncle billys will for us,, to suffer and use his OS.  THe 1809 was a disaster.  I upgarded the first release and it had many bugs and I was seeing deleted stuff come back.  For some it would delete all their data.  Anyhow at third release effort they fixed everything and updated the original 1809 so no real issues but not perfect.  With 1903 they really fixed a lot of stupid bugs and some changes.  I would definitely recommend doing the once every 6 month huge update.  See what chat support says.    

2 minutes ago, TheLewisS1 said:

I spoke to a "Windows Advisor" and they directed me to the Windows Update Tool (something I wasn't aware of)

Just now, TheLewisS1 said:

I spoke to a "Windows Advisor" and they directed me to the Windows Update Tool (something I wasn't aware of) - I'll try this if that doesn't work

Thanks!

Also try Microsoft Upgrade Assistant and it will begin the process of upgrading you to 1903.  good luck

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

1 minute ago, Turtle Rig said:

Also try Microsoft Upgrade Assistant and it will begin the process of upgrading you to 1903.  good luck

That't what I meant. I've never really taken into account the banner that mentions it, I've always skimmed it, believing that it was the same as the Media Creation Tool.

The more you know!

2 hours ago, Cvet76 said:

It worked out for me because I was upgrading and changing some drives. Make sure to back things up. From what I've read about your problem, you have some permissions problem. If you see it's too much hassle and you're wasting more time than needed, a new system can be up and running in a couple of hours. Make sure you back stuff up beforehand, though.

Will do, thank you

I think I might be looking at having to reinstall, unfortunately. I'll have to discuss it with the person, so if there's any final things to try let me know :)

Thanks all.