Parents Don't Like Phones At Schools

1 minute ago, Arika S said:

take phones to school, leave them in your locker. trying to trust kids to not just browse the internet or play games while they are supposed to be studying will not go well.

simple, quick and logical solution

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

47 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:
49 minutes ago, Arika S said:

take phones to school, leave them in your locker. trying to trust kids to not just browse the internet or play games while they are supposed to be studying will not go well.

simple, quick and logical solution

this is a common solution. it does not work, kids still take when with them and use them during class time.

you can't trust kids, KND is a excellent example of what kids do when adults aren't around...

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

1 minute ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

this is a common solution. it does not work, kids still take when with them and use them during class time.

you can't trust kids, KND is a excellent example of what kids do when adults aren't around...

and that's when teachers would confiscate and only give it back to the parents

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 hours ago, LienusLateTips said:

A 12 year old having an iPhone X is the city seal of Richmond. And you know that.

Don't forget the AirPods and Herschel bags. Then in 4 years time, they'll be driving the family Porsche like...

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Don't forget the AirPods and Herschel bags. Then in 4 years time, they'll be driving the family Porsche like...

SHIT WE FORGOT THE $2000 YEEZYS AND THE $3000 SUPREME BAG

we're hurting the feelings of richmond residents by ccp standards

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

When I was a kid I didn't have a mobile phone at school. Had no need for one. I don't see why a child needs to stay in touch, they're at school to learn not stay in touch. Kids don't need mobile phones, at a stretch I'd say maybe yes in 2nd school/high school if kids are travelling to and from school by themselves but not kids who are at primary school.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

1 hour ago, sof006 said:

When I was a kid I didn't have a mobile phone at school. Had no need for one. I don't see why a child needs to stay in touch, they're at school to learn not stay in touch. Kids don't need mobile phones, at a stretch I'd say maybe yes in 2nd school/high school if kids are travelling to and from school by themselves but not kids who are at primary school.

I'd surely hope they weren't talking about primary school. 

As someone in school now in the 'phone era' I definitely see why you would want to ban phones in school/class. I see kids who honestly cannot help themselves, they play games all day in class and don't speak to anyone at school because they only look at their phones.

On the other hand phones are enormously valuable to education, and it's not like they'll disappear in the work environment. At work you'll just be told you no longer have a job. 

There's no use mindlessly banning everything. Young people are still people, and they should be taught how to moderate instead 

That's an F in the profile pic

Yes seeing kids everywhere drooling on phones doing the dumbest shit and parents giving little fuck is sad. Really a big part is parenting, parents these days are just morons. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

When I was on school at age 12 up to 18, I didn't have a phone and it turned out pretty well. However, in this age of the easy accessible internet using phone it can be handy if you need to search for something but then again, do you really need a phone at such young age? Most young people/kids would post shit on instagram, snapchat and more of the other (a)social media crap behind their parents back.

But one thing is for certain, we had a lot of nice social contact without phones.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Personally, I was glad I didn't have a phone growing up.

Mainly, because my parents couldn't call me at midnight on a Friday or Saturday night and say "it's time to come home" like all my friends parents did.

Knowing that that call was coming, my friends all drank harder and faster, did more drugs, etc. They were always in a rush to cram in as much partying as they could before midnight.

I took my time and just had fun, knowing I just had to be home before my dad got up at 5am.

8 hours ago, mr moose said:

They want them banned because the social peer pressure is too strong to wade against(meaning if they take their kids phones they ostracize them socially while a school ban means everyone is without).  Victoria has new laws that ban phones in all government schools.  There is a fair bit of research going on at the moment and it will be interesting to see the results.  As someone who has worked in education over the last 8 years (years 3-10) I don't think it is a bad thing to ban phones whilst at school.  There are plenty of resources available to students that the phone is not an indispensable tool.

Idea: A flip phone that can be set to only send and receive calls and texts from family members, during certain hours.

So while you're at school, your phone can only send and receive calls from family members. Before or after school, it acts like a normal flip phone.

I say flip phone because even in my day cell phones were bad enough, giving your kid a smart phone is just a terrible idea in my opinion.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

proper use of the internet can be a significant help in school, but it can also be a significant distraction.

People by nature will rather be distracted. I mean... it's more fun to distract yourself with something stupid than learn something useful.

So the question we should be answering here is how do we teach kids to be responsible? How to we grab their interest of the internet and take it away from memes and social media to "oh my god I can learn whatever I want on this"?

If we can't achieve that it's not worth it... the kids will just be endlessly distracted and it won't end well.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Man my old highschool was built like a Faraday cage. You walk in and you have no signal, you walk out 10 feet and all the sudden you got a million and a half text messages.

My jobs like that too. It's quite obnoxious here since there are a lot of random things we need to google. But I can't imagine the same exact situation at school.

I did get into highschool right as Smartphones were taking off, and I still remember a kid being annoyed that he had to buy a $100 TI calculator (couldn't buy a Casio or HP, had to be a TI) rather then use a graphing calculator app on his phone. - and this was one of the actual good kids who never gave the teacher any trouble or anything.

10 hours ago, Beskamir said:

It should be up to the student to decide if they want their phone to be a distraction or a helpful tool. Being able to quickly google something can be better than stopping the entire class to ask a trivial or off topic question so even though most people would prefer to distract themselves with their phones I think we shouldn't punish those that would use their phone to aid their learning.

Unfortunately using your phone in class distracts other students as well. As for googling, it's better to ask a "trivial" question to the person who's there for the express purpose of teaching you than to use google and maybe miss a part of the lesson in the process. "Stopping the entire class" isn't a waste of time, other students also benefit from the answer to your question. Not to mention high school kids (let alone anyone younger) aren't really known for their self control and being able to pay attention in spite of distractions.

I wouldn't say we need to ban phones in schools, after all they can be useful in emergencies and there's no reason to prevent their use during breaks, but I also think it's a good idea to limit or completely disallow their use during the lessons.

10 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

make classes way less boring and inane and the kids might want to pay attention

Doesn't work, no matter how good of a teacher you are and how well the class is designed there will always be times where the students can't be arsed to pay attention, not to mention that many students are simply not interested in some subjects. Some things are just inherently boring to some people. As someone who had attention issues, I would often rather look at the birds out the window or pick at my fingernails than pay attention to anything that was being said, and not because the class was particularly boring. Imagine being able to just take out a phone and do whatever with the teacher not being allowed to stop me. You'd end up with a teacher talking to the void and all students ignoring him.

In university you're an adult and can do whatever you want with your opportunity at getting an education, in middle and high school you're there because you must learn the bare minimum to function in society. It would be negligent to allow you to throw that away, within reason of course.

10 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

I was a teacher, had to learn to entertain my students or they didn't listen. Teachers gotta learn too, learn how to be engaging. We should hold educators to a higher standard, it's too easy to be a teacher.

With that said, stricter requirements for teachers definitely wouldn't hurt, so I agree with you on that.

10 hours ago, Derrk said:

imo let the kids have phones, but punish them accordingly if they use them irresponsibly. It's a good tool for kids to have on them, such as to tell their folks that practice is over or was cancelled if they need a ride home

That would just end in an endless fight over the definition of "irresponsible" use, not to mention it would be impossible for teachers to tell if the kid is looking up a wikipedia page or just their facebook feed.

10 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

The solution starts with the parents. A 12 year old kid does not need the latest iPhone with a data plan. Why does a kid need the same caliber of device and mobile service as a CEO? 

I would argue a CEO doesn't need it either, but I digress :/

Either way, at that point it's up to the parent - what isn't up to the parent is 1) what their kid does with that phone once they are at school and 2) what other kids might do with their phones to disrupt the class and influence the quality of education offered.

9 hours ago, lewdicrous said:

Agreed.

Teachers have the power to make or break the learning experience, if the teacher isn't willing to put in the effort to actually engage with the students in a meaningful way, then they shouldn't expect every single student to be excited to learn new things or even improve in the subject.

Except the students are the ones who suffer the consequences. At the end of the day it makes no tangible difference to the teacher whether you learned anything or not - hence why some teachers just don't bother.

10 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

A couple of thousands of years of education existed before cellphones, and the modern ones really are mostly distraction devices. So, at one level, they get in the way. On another level, they actually serve the major purpose of modern "education", which is really just housing students for 6+ hours a day.

Sounds like a certain country needs to invest more in public education.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

It would be a lot of work but would piss of a lot less people if schools banned phones for certain people or classes. I know I use my phone as a tool, but I know kids who never know what's happening or how to do the assignment because they're too busy on Snapchat or whatever.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 hour ago, Sypran said:

I did get into highschool right as Smartphones were taking off, and I still remember a kid being annoyed that he had to buy a $100 TI calculator (couldn't buy a Casio or HP, had to be a TI) rather then use a graphing calculator app on his phone. - and this was one of the actual good kids who never gave the teacher any trouble or anything.

Texas Instruments Calculators are quite the ripoff nowadays. A smartphone can be had for as low as $25 new. Granted, it's slow, but dual 1.2 GHz Cortex A7s >>>>> Z80/ARM9 derivative (FYI, the ARM9 was the main cpu for the Nintendo DS). Not to mention even the lowly 480P display still outstrips the 320P display in the TI.

While I understand that a calculator doesn't need more than an ARM9 anyway, there is absolutely no (technical) reason that a TI graphing calculator should cost more than $30 tops.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Except the students are the ones who suffer the consequences. At the end of the day it makes no tangible difference to the teacher whether you learned anything or not - hence why some teachers just don't bother.

That's the problem, shitty teachers have a "pass or fail, I still get paid" kinda mentality and that's just unacceptable; they're responsible for educating their students and they should be held accountable for their shortcomings as a teacher.

Of course, a number of teachers are still gonna act that way cause nothing will negatively affect their career as you mentioned, and well, who's gonna believe the students if they complain? Speaking from experience, the student is going to be blamed for the teacher's ineptitude. 

12 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

That's the problem, shitty teachers have a "pass or fail, I still get paid" kinda mentality and that's just unacceptable; they responsible for educating their students and they should be held accountable for their shortcomings as a teacher.

Of course, a number of teachers are still gonna act that way cause nothing will negatively affect their life/career like you mentioned and well, who's gonna believe the students if they complain? Speaking from experience, the student is going to be blamed for the teacher's ineptitude. 

Ok, but that's not really relevant to this conversation - that IS a problem, but students getting distracted by their phones is also a problem.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

12 hours ago, floofer said:

The survey, of just over 1,000 people, also suggested that the average value of gadgets taken to school by each child was £301.

This is the value that I do disagree with. 301 pounds is like around 400 USD or something like that. Its a large amount of value to give a kid, especially when it could get dropped or etc. Then again, value in phones has gone up in recent years. Just not sure about this value however. 

Just look at the price of iPhones and other flagship phones. To be honest I'm surprised it isn't higher. Perhaps it's because of the area I'm in, but in one (or perhaps more even) of my classes EVERYONE except me and ONE other person had an iPhone... We were 15, 16, 17 or so back then?....

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

All i can say as an Indian is

image.png.eb93451f4092f79594ccf6d655d3b504.png

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Ok, but that's not really relevant to this conversation - that IS a problem, but students getting distracted by their phones is also a problem.

It's kinda relevant in a roundabout way imo; if the student isn't being engaged or is not enjoying the learning process, then they'll find something else to fill their minds, phones are just one part of the issue, if the phone isn't there, then they'll talk to their friends, draw, sleep, etc.

Again, talking from experience as a student, we didn't have phones for the most part when I was younger and people still got distracted, could you argue that more kids are getting distracted nowadays because of phone? Yea, sure, but I don't feel like just taking the phones away is gonna solve the problem, like I said, phones are just one part of the issue.

13 hours ago, floofer said:

Half of parents 'want mobile phones banned in schools'

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49515632

Only 49% ? It's not enough...

In France, it's 82% of parents who want mobile phones banned in schools : https://www.generation-nt.com/telephone-ecole-82-francais-veulent-interdiction-actualite-1967872.html

EDIT : Google Translate : https://translate.google.fr/translate?hl=fr&sl=fr&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.generation-nt.com%2Ftelephone-ecole-82-francais-veulent-interdiction-actualite-1967872.html

PC #1 : Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI | i7-7700 | Cryorig C7 Cu | 32GB DDR4-2400 | LSI SAS 9211-8i | 240GB NVMe M.2 PCIe PNY CS2030 | SSD&HDDs 59.5TB total | Quantum LTO5 HH SAS drive | GC-Alpine Ridge | Corsair HX750i | Cooler Master Stacker STC-T01 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz (plugged HDMI port, shared with PC #2) | Win10
PC #2 : Gigabyte MW70-3S0 | 2x E5-2689 v4 | 2x Intel BXSTS200C | 32GB DDR4-2400 ECC Reg | MSI RTX 3080 Ti Suprim X | 2x 1TB SSD SATA Samsung 870 EVO | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li PC-A77 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 144 Hz (plugged DP port, shared with PC #1) | Win10
PC #3 : Mini PC Zotac 4K | Celeron N3150 | 8GB DDR3L 1600 | 250GB M.2 SATA WD Blue | Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB | Samsung Blu-ray writer USB | Genius SP-HF1800A | TV Panasonic TX-40DX600E UltraHD | Win10
PC #4 : ASUS P2B-F | PIII 500MHz | 512MB SDR 100 | Leadtek WinFast GeForce 256 SDR 32MB | 2x Guillemot Maxi Gamer 3D² 8MB in SLI | Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA | 80GB HDD UATA | Fortron/Source FSP235-60GI | Zalman R1 | DELL E151FP 15" TFT 1024x768 | Win98SE

Laptop : Lenovo ThinkPad T460p | i7-6700HQ | 16GB DDR4 2133 | GeForce 940MX | 240GB SSD PNY CS900 | 14" IPS 1920x1080 | Win11

PC tablet : Fujitsu Point 1600 | PMMX 166MHz | 160MB EDO | 20GB HDD UATA | external floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 800x600 touchscreen | AGFA SnapScan 1212u blue | Win98SE

Laptop collection #1 : IBM ThinkPad 340CSE | 486SLC2 66MHz | 12MB RAM | 360MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

Laptop collection #2 : IBM ThinkPad 380E | PMMX 150MHz | 80MB EDO | NeoMagic MagicGraph128XD | 2.1GB IDE | internal floppy drive | internal CD-ROM drive | Intel PRO/100 Mobile PCMCIA | 12.1" FRSTN 800x600 16-bit color | Win98

Laptop collection #3 : Toshiba T2130CS | 486DX4 75MHz | 32MB EDO | 520MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" STN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

And 6 others computers (Intel Compute Stick x5-Z8330, Giada Slim N10 WinXP, 2 Apple classic and 2 PC pocket WinCE)

16 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

It's kinda relevant in a roundabout way imo; if the student isn't being engaged or is not enjoying the learning process, then they'll find something else to fill their minds, phones are just one part of the issue, if the phone isn't there, then they'll talk to their friends, draw, sleep, etc.

Again, talking from experience as a student, we didn't have phones for the most part when I was younger and people still got distracted, could you argue that more kids are getting distracted nowadays because of phone? Yea, sure, but I don't feel like just taking the phones away is gonna solve the problem, like I said, phones are just one part of the issue.

Of course phones aren't the only issue, but since they are an issue why not act on that considering it's much easier and faster than doing other things? As we both said, students are going to get distracted no matter what - but it's easier and more disruptive to do that with a phone.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

There are some good and practical reasons to have a phone in schools... It can be used to learn extra stuff, especially good for schools on a low budget that can't get a computer or tablet to each students.

But lets face it, it's not used correctly most of the time.

I'm of the mindset that unless you literally have actual responsibilities that require you to always be available (like if you have kids of your own... which is unlikely for the large majority of kids in school...), your phone should either stay in your locker or be left in the possession of the teacher if they do have responsibilities until whenever said class ends. They can play with it during recess and lunch time, not during class.

Class time should exclusively be reserved for learning, not for texting or webbrowsing unrelated content.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro