Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

FanControl, my take on a SpeedFan replacement

20 hours ago, SuperStreetFighter said:

neat program, keep up to good work, would definitely buy if you make it a full fledged thing.

I've tried Argus Monitor, Gigabyte's terrible software, few other lesser known programs, but I have issues with all of them.

 

I've read a few pages of this thread and it seems like for the X570 Master it's a known issue that Sys_Fan 4 & 5 are greyed out, as is the D5 pump @ Sys_Fan 6.

 

Will these be added in a future update maybe ?

 

Maybe, I can't bake driver support out of thin air, support has to come from external libraries, reverse engineered manufacturer software and so on. My main driver right now is: 
https://github.com/LibreHardwareMonitor/LibreHardwareMonitor.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Works good with ASUS Rog Strix B350-F Gaming, suprised it detected all the fans even the gpu right away.

ASUS ROG STRIX B350-F Gaming | AMD Ryzen 3600 at 4GHz/1.2vMasterLiquid ML360R RGB | MSI GeForce RTX™ 3080 Ti SUPRIM X | Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 (2x 8GB) 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1000x | Intel 600p - 256 GB (M.2) | Samsung EVO 850 - 500 GB | Samsung EVO Pro 850 - 250 GB Fractal Design R6 Black (Silent) | 3x FractalDesign Dynamic X2 GW-14 & 3x CoolerMaster 120mm "RGB"

Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7 240hz/1ms, ACER Predator XB271H A 144hz/1ms. (Yeah i sold the Philips 273ELH to a friend XD)

Car(s): Volvo V70 D3 2016

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys. Love Fancontrol so far, made my profiles and works great. Two issues so far. 

 

1 - For the life of me I don't understand why "shared memory" feature is not working and not sure how to troubleshoot it. I placed plugins, unblocked them, I restarted both HwINFO and Fancontrol but still cannot see any change.

2 - When trying to control NVIDIA GPU I have, seems to conflict with something else as it starts and stops the fans in an odd way. Is it not enough to shut down Asus GPUTweakII? Should I completely uninstall it to make Fancontrol work?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, first of all, great job on the SW! This is exactly the feature set I was looking for.

 

For your motherboard compatibility list, happy to report that it's working on Asrock B550M Steel Legend. Just a minor glitch, a nonexistent fan control is shown. This may have something to do with the fact that the B550 (not M) Steel Legend does have another fan header. Probably something to be fixed in librehardwaremonitor and not Fancontrol?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dutchsnowden said:

Hi guys. Love Fancontrol so far, made my profiles and works great. Two issues so far. 

 

1 - For the life of me I don't understand why "shared memory" feature is not working and not sure how to troubleshoot it. I placed plugins, unblocked them, I restarted both HwINFO and Fancontrol but still cannot see any change.

2 - When trying to control NVIDIA GPU I have, seems to conflict with something else as it starts and stops the fans in an odd way. Is it not enough to shut down Asus GPUTweakII? Should I completely uninstall it to make Fancontrol work?

1) Shared memory only works when you got HwInfo running in sensor-mode AFAIK, and its now a paid feature.

2) No idea how that softwares works, but yes indeed, it seems like something else is trying to take over.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, overoptimizer said:

Just a minor glitch, a nonexistent fan control is shown. This may have something to do with the fact that the B550 (not M) Steel Legend does have another fan header. Probably something to be fixed in librehardwaremonitor and not Fancontrol?

The cards shown are based on the superIO chip on the board, which may or may not be used for all of its available channels.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, overoptimizer said:

Hello, first of all, great job on the SW! This is exactly the feature set I was looking for.

 

For your motherboard compatibility list, happy to report that it's working on Asrock B550M Steel Legend. Just a minor glitch, a nonexistent fan control is shown. This may have something to do with the fact that the B550 (not M) Steel Legend does have another fan header. Probably something to be fixed in librehardwaremonitor and not Fancontrol?

Yep, I get the same thing on the B450I gaming plus - heck even Task Manager reports 4 RAM slots when I have 2. I suspect most manufacturers are using the same config on lots of different boards.

Link to post
Share on other sites

V79

Improved upon my numeric up/down control with a + and - button :
image.png.6fbe2de6827dfd646daf22a0dfcaf4f8.png

 

Also support for up/down arrow keys when a numerical field is selected.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just updated to V79 and windows removed it because of a trojan.

 

wevjt7z.png

 

Basically I do not have any Fancontrol now. It removed V79 and do not have V78 anymore.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the work you've put into this!

It's working on the Msi B450M Bazoooka V2 and Asus Z170 Deluxe. 🙂

 

Also works on ASRock B450M Pro4 and Msi X470 Gaming Pro Carbon.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dutchsnowden said:

Just updated to V79 and windows removed it because of a trojan.

 

wevjt7z.png

 

Basically I do not have any Fancontrol now. It removed V79 and do not have V78 anymore.

Bleh, same thing just happened to me. Identified it as the exact same thing

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, TwistedKestrel said:

Bleh, same thing just happened to me. Identified it as the exact same thing

It actually just did it to me also, on the actual computer it is being compiled on lmao. Will investigate.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sent for review at Microsoft / Windows Defender, hopefully they will answer soon.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This looks absolutely awesome! I'ma try it once i got my watercooling setup.

 

Edit: I just tried it just to see and it was able to control the cpu fan based on gpu temp on the msi mpg z390 gaming pro carbon. Also no issues with windows defender.

 

i got some issues tho. after closing it (so actually making it a background task) or starting it minimized it wont open up. Need to kill it first in task manager to then open it. it cant control my gpu fans though it gets an exact readout and has all the sensors recognized as far as i can tell. Probably not much u can do for that specific gpu (msi radeon rx 5700 XT gaming X) i have. Also a factory reset button would probably be good which i couldnt find but deleting the useconfig.json file works too.

 

conclusion: i am really nutpicky rn but this is a great software. its not paid, it has a github page, you regularely update it and it just works. not like speedfan that is out of date. Ty for writing this softwaare.

Ping me or quote me in replys ples. Anyone talking about AiOs and trashing people for a front mount watch THIS JAYZTWOCENTS VID because u 99.9% skipped or didnt understand the Gamers Nexus vid...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Spoiler

Also pineapple doesnt go on pizza

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rem0o said:

Response:
 image.png.642af42584494452ba6d67f9b86b1841.png

 

Should be cleared in future Windows defender definition update.

I confirm all is working now, new version is alive. I will definitely consider donation for Remb0o! Thank you so much and hope you keep this app alive and kicking!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Rem0o for this awesome piece of software. SpeedFan wasn't having any of my new B550 board, so panic ensued. Found this instead. 🙂 I can report it works great with the Asrock B550 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ax and the good ol' Strix 1080 I'm stuck with.

 

Anyway, I've got one question and one feature request:

 

1. Using the graph control, if I want a steep drop off to stop the fan going below a certain threshold, say 60 degrees, what's the approach? I set e.g. 60° and 20% duty cycle and then 59° and 0% duty cycle? Because I haven't found a way to create a "staircase", hard drop-off between two points in the graph. So maybe this is also a feature request then... 🙂 To be able to change a line between two points in the curve to be "staircased", whatever we should call it, rather than a straight line. How about double right clicking the line to toggle it between those two points.

 

2. Regarding the HWiNFO plugin, can we add CPU Package Power and GPU Power to the list of sensors included? I'd like to use this for my ghetto modded PSU where I'm running the fan off of the motherboard instead, so I'd like to control the fan also based on actual power draw, rather than just "the GPU and/or CPU is/are hot, therefore they must be drawing power, therefore spin the fan some". (Why did I do this? Because the stock fan was terrible.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, InterClaw said:

 

1. Using the graph control, if I want a steep drop off to stop the fan going below a certain threshold, say 60 degrees, what's the approach? I set e.g. 60° and 20% duty cycle and then 59° and 0% duty cycle? Because I haven't found a way to create a "staircase", hard drop-off between two points in the graph. So maybe this is also a feature request then... 🙂 To be able to change a line between two points in the curve to be "staircased", whatever we should call it, rather than a straight line. How about double right clicking the line to toggle it between those two points.

It is effectively a stair case since the temperature is rounded to an integer, so it's a discrete function. Just set 59 deg to 0 and 60 to whatever you like.

12 hours ago, InterClaw said:

 

2. [...] I'd like to control the fan also based on actual power draw [...]

Last time I checked, spinning a fan doesn't reduce the power draw or affect it in any way. That's something my linear control class teacher would have said. Also, power draw values change wildly. Can go from 250W to 0 in a second. You would need a ton of smoothing, which at that point, might as well use the temperature.  Also, power range would be way different than temperature range, so I would need to support both and add a lot of complication for no benefit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

After what seems like many long months in the desert of no fan control, I am back here to report that there is still only partial support for the Gigabyte Aorus X570 Pro Wifi, with only half the fan headers responding to FanControl.  Unfortunate, as the compatibility issue is with a 3rd party library T_T

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Firstly it is great to see a potential SpeedFan replacement!

 

Is there some known list of issues? I.e. to give me some idea if I am screwing things up or there might actually be an issue? 😄

 

My Asrock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX doesn't seem to allow CPU fan control. I've made sure I know what fan it is, made a curve, and the fan control correctly says what % fan speed it should be, but the fan speed isn't actually following the curve. Again, correct fan is selected. SpeedFan does allow control of this fan.

 

I have no other fan control or monitoring software things running..

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright im retarded, is this an incompatibility thing or do  i just not know what im doing. i have no control tabs on first startup like it said there should be in the tutorial video.

fancontrol.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, just stumbled upon this and it's awesome. I've been working on a Fan Control app myself (but specific for Clevo laptops) and been looking everywhere for a graph-based curve editor like the one you have in this app (rather than using sliders at fixed temperature intervals). However I was not able to find your source code anywhere, how did you make the curve editor?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, djsubtronic said:

Hi, just stumbled upon this and it's awesome. I've been working on a Fan Control app myself (but specific for Clevo laptops) and been looking everywhere for a graph-based curve editor like the one you have in this app (rather than using sliders at fixed temperature intervals). However I was not able to find your source code anywhere, how did you make the curve editor?

It's a custom WPF control I made, based on a Canvas. I simply draw it "by hand", with ellipses (circles), lines and so on using the canvas "SetTop" and "SetLeft" functions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2021 at 3:51 PM, Rem0o said:

It's a custom WPF control I made, based on a Canvas. I simply draw it "by hand", with ellipses (circles), lines and so on using the canvas "SetTop" and "SetLeft" functions.

Ah I see, thanks! Are you planning on publishing your code anytime?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2021 at 3:45 PM, Rem0o said:

It is effectively a stair case since the temperature is rounded to an integer, so it's a discrete function. Just set 59 deg to 0 and 60 to whatever you like.

Last time I checked, spinning a fan doesn't reduce the power draw or affect it in any way. That's something my linear control class teacher would have said. Also, power draw values change wildly. Can go from 250W to 0 in a second. You would need a ton of smoothing, which at that point, might as well use the temperature.  Also, power range would be way different than temperature range, so I would need to support both and add a lot of complication for no benefit.

Fair enough. 🙂 Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×