Twitter bans and suspensions questions

Zev_7

So there's a group of people who enjoy harassing people online and keep trying to avoid their twitter suspensions/bans by using services such as VPNs, ProtonMail, and attempting to use VoiPs to spoof their phone numbers. This has gotten me a little curious on what exactly twitter collects on its users and i wanted to have a discussion about it.

Would any of those services actually work against suspensions and bans? As far as i know, twitter does collect IP addresses and knows when a user is using an android, iOS, or mobile client to log into twitter. 

7 minutes ago, 7even said:

So there's a group of people who enjoy harassing people online and keep trying to avoid their twitter suspensions/bans by using services such as VPNs, ProtonMail, and attempting to use VoiPs to spoof their phone numbers. This has gotten me a little curious on what exactly twitter collects on its users and i wanted to have a discussion about it.

Would any of those services actually work against suspensions and bans? As far as i know, twitter does collect IP addresses and knows when a user is using an android, iOS, or mobile client to log into twitter. 

that's like drinking cold tea in cold weather under a blanket, they ban your account, doesn't really matter where your account originates from.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

7 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

that's like drinking cold tea in cold weather under a blanket, they ban your account, doesn't really matter where your account originates from.

Same for suspensions? And how do they know? Cause that's the part I am curious about. 

I meant like creating a new account utilizing those services to avoid the ban/suspension on another account

Banned accounts are banned, meaning the person won't have access to that specific account whatever they do because it's been terminated. Suspensions work the same way since it's basically putting you in timeout.

Nothing prevent someone to use a VPN and burner email addresses to create new accounts since your origin point is different and that email address is not registered on their system. Unless the provider can actually tell two accounts are linked together, they will be treated as separate entities.

Current Build: SD-DESK-07

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy // PSU: SeaSonic SS-650RM // Motherboard: P8Z77-I DELUXE // CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k // Cooler: Corsair H80i // RAM: Patriot Intel Extreme Masters 2X8GB DDR3 1600MHz // SSD: Crucial M500 240GB // Video: EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti SC 2GB

39 minutes ago, Tribalinius said:

Banned accounts are banned, meaning the person won't have access to that specific account whatever they do because it's been terminated. Suspensions work the same way since it's basically putting you in timeout.

Nothing prevent someone to use a VPN and burner email addresses to create new accounts since your origin point is different and that email address is not registered on their system. Unless the provider can actually tell two accounts are linked together, they will be treated as separate entities.

Well that explains why it worked when i created a throwaway twitter, got banned there, then was able to keep my other accounts once i deleted the email.
Still, kind of defeats the whole policy system social media outlets have. 

49 minutes ago, 7even said:

Still, kind of defeats the whole policy system social media outlets have. 

No it doesn't. What you did was still against their policy. You're not allowed to create another account to circumvent a ban. Doesn't stop people from doing it, but it's still very much against their ToS. 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

6 hours ago, 7even said:

Ok, stuff works more or less like this:

a. VPN's own a large pool of IP addresses

b. Trolls and malicious actors use VPN's to avoid IP bans

c. Many of these IP's are blacklisted once banned, and they get banned from lots of services (don't believe me, find a free "proxy" and try to post just about anywhere.)

So it's in the VPN operators best interests to throw people off VPN's that abuse them for this purpose, because it quickly devalues their usefulness as a privacy solution.

Now throw-away emails are another thing. Free email providers that are popular with spammers, get blacklisted from everything (eg services hosted in Russia and China), but services like gmail, yahoo, hotmail/outlook.com remain not blacklisted because they would block too much of the english-speaking world by doing so.

So if you legitimately want to post anonymously somewhere, it gets pretty expensive to keep creating new anonymous identities.

And the quickest way to prevent this, is by making privacy extinct. So the trolls are the ones causing the erosion of privacy as big tech companies want to know more and more about you just to do simple things.

For example, ever visit a site for the first time, and have to "give an email address" just to read past the first page? That's not an innocent request. 

eBay/Paypal track every IP address, email address, and physical address you've ever entered into the site. I'm sure Amazon, Google, Twitter, Yahoo, etc all do the same. This information is never deleted.

If you lose your email or paypal account due to chargebacks or fraud, good luck ever getting another one. Twitter, Google, etc can do the same. Companies that have have access to that information via LexisNexis. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/29/2019 at 5:30 PM, Arika S said:

No it doesn't. What you did was still against their policy. You're not allowed to create another account to circumvent a ban. Doesn't stop people from doing it, but it's still very much against their ToS. 

I didn't create another account to avoid one I had one pre-existing for years.