The discussion I feel we need to have

DarkDragon2K04

If you want to be an unintelligent and useless bag of meat for your entire life, then sure.

Otherwise suck it up, buttercup.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Move to off topic

Yeah school sucks but it helps you do thingz

"we need to discuss this"

okay then open up the discussion, talk about the parts of the school system that you don't agree with, the parts that you would change and how you would change them, and then ask some questions of the readers so that we can actually form responses.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

There you have it!

One of the first things, useful things, school is providing: How to formulate your ideas in a constructive way! ?

So... You were saying that the idea of "school" needed to be discussed and eventually "killed"? ?

28 minutes ago, DarkDragon2K04 said:

Who else thinks that school is just a problem that needs to be killed and why? I feel like discussing this with someone right now. I don't care if you agree with me or not let's just talk about this. And be open minded.

School sets a foundation. Not a perfect one mind you, but one nonetheless. Aspects of it are useful to some, useless to others. But it sets a common standard people can shoot for and gives an indication on your level of understanding, not necessarily intelligence. 1+1 is 2 no matter where you go, so certain essential items need to be taught. Where you go from there, such as college, is up to the individual. Now if you're talking about college, well that could be another paragraph so I'll just leave my statement here.

32 minutes ago, DarkDragon2K04 said:

Who else thinks that school is just a problem that needs to be killed and why

it shouldn't because people need to be educated to have any chance of survival in the society that we have created. Your school years are some of the most important years of your life, they will shape you into who you will become later in life.

You might hate it, you might think school is stupid, but once it's over and you leave, you will look back and appreciate everything you learned and the people you met.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

It's not perfect, but it helps shape people. I mean in America it definitely needs reformed. I've done most of my learning outside of school.. 

If we just killed school off, you kids would be working in factories again. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

6 minutes ago, veldora said:

It's not perfect, but it helps shape people. I mean in America it definitely needs reformed. I've done most of my learning outside of school.. 

If we just killed school off, you kids would be working in factories again. 

Hit the nail on the head, in the UK the education system is fucking garbage. But it is essential, a lot of the syllabus needs to be changed though. Students are brought up in cookie cutters and educated the same, school just teaches you how to memorise something, you don't actually learn anything...

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

1 hour ago, RuffRuffmcgruff said:

Hit the nail on the head, in the UK the education system is fucking garbage. But it is essential, a lot of the syllabus needs to be changed though. Students are brought up in cookie cutters and educated the same, school just teaches you how to memorise something, you don't actually learn anything...

I can't speak for the UK educational system, but here in Sweden it wasn't just memorizing things. I'm not sure if things have changed since then but I'll go by my experience here.

School was memorizing things, and showing that you know how to apply it in certain situations. For example in Sweden pretty much everyone believes in evolution and the theory put forth by Charles Darwin. However, for a couple of lessons we studied the beliefs of creationism. In another subject we also studied debate techniques. Then half the class were tasked with arguing for creationism and half the class were tasked with debating for evolution. Both sides had to research their own arguments and we had a debate in the classroom. It was a really fun task everyone enjoyed and taught us a ton of great things such as how to form arguments, how to counter arguments, how to research and be source critical, how other people might view things in different ways, how to change your own mindset and debate for something you might not agree or believe in, and so on. Everyone had a blast.

Anyway, there isn't really anything wrong with memorizing stuff either. A lot of times you have to "memorize stuff" to be able to make other connections and form ideas. If I hadn't memorized how each letter looks and sounds I wouldn't be able to read, which in turn has enabled me to get understanding about a ton of other things.

If I hadn't memorized certain equations such as how to calculate percentages, I wouldn't be able to work on if something on sale is a good deal or not, or if someone is trying to trick me.

If I hadn't memorized some specific dates of historical events I wouldn't be able to understand cause and effect, what events lead to other events. If I didn't understand that, I might not have understood history the same way I do today, which in turn could lead to me having different opinions and views on things like political decisions, and situations.

Memorizing facts is sometimes crucial to understanding how other things work and relate to each other.

School is very important in my opinion. I do, however, indeed think that there are still many ways in which it could be improved.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

I can't speak for the UK educational system, but here in Sweden it wasn't just memorizing things. I'm not sure if things have changed since then but I'll go by my experience here.

School was memorizing things, and showing that you know how to apply it in certain situations. For example in Sweden pretty much everyone believes in evolution and the theory put forth by Charles Darwin. However, for a couple of lessons we studied the beliefs of creationism. In another subject we also studied debate techniques. Then half the class were tasked with arguing for creationism and half the class were tasked with debating for evolution. Both sides had to research their own arguments and we had a debate in the classroom. It was a really fun task everyone enjoyed and taught us a ton of great things such as how to form arguments, how to counter arguments, how to research and be source critical, how other people might view things in different ways, how to change your own mindset and debate for something you might not agree or believe in, and so on. Everyone had a blast.

Anyway, there isn't really anything wrong with memorizing stuff either. A lot of times you have to "memorize stuff" to be able to make other connections and form ideas. If I hadn't memorized how each letter looks and sounds I wouldn't be able to read, which in turn has enabled me to get understanding about a ton of other things.

If I hadn't memorized certain equations such as how to calculate percentages, I wouldn't be able to work on if something on sale is a good deal or not, or if someone is trying to trick me.

If I hadn't memorized some specific dates of historical events I wouldn't be able to understand cause and effect, what events lead to other events. If I didn't understand that, I might not have understood history the same way I do today, which in turn could lead to me having different opinions and views on things like political decisions, and situations.

Memorizing facts is sometimes crucial to understanding how other things work and relate to each other.

Sorry I should've been more specific when i said "memorizing stuff", i meant it in terms of examinations. That's all school is in the UK making sure you pass your gcse's the amount of stress and pressure put on students is ridiculous. The state just wants young adults to repeat the same as the same that came before them, shut up, work your arse off, pay your taxes and die. "Great" Britain totally...

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

12 hours ago, DarkDragon2K04 said:

Who else thinks that school is just a problem that needs to be killed and why? I feel like discussing this with someone right now. I don't care if you agree with me or not let's just talk about this. And be open minded.

Oh no we can't 'kill' school, we wouldn't get programs like this on TV otherwise xD 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

There's lots of changes that could be made to greatly improve upon school and the education system itself. But that teeters on political and socioeconomic subjects that would likely result in disciplinary action from mods (because it goes against the forum rules to talk about it).

But I will say this: You're in school still. Love it up while you can. Take advantage of the fact that you have no bills to pay. No insurance to pay, no gas to pay, no rent, no utilities, nothing. You pay jack shit for the roof over your head and food on your plate. You have free "Uber" to go just about anywhere. You don't pay for any vacations. When you graduate and have to start paying for these things, then you'll look back and wish you were still in school. Back to the good ol' days of shooting the shit with friends, getting into weird antics and trouble, and not having to worry about bills, payments, and holding down a full time or multiple jobs to get by while you live in a vastly over priced and shitty one bedroom apartment in that sketchy part of town where the wheels to your car have already been stolen twice. 

That's all I'm going to say about it. Again, I'm not going to get into the nitty gritty of anything. Just my buck and half up there; that's all.

56 minutes ago, RuffRuffmcgruff said:

Sorry I should've been more specific when i said "memorizing stuff", i meant it in terms of examinations. That's all school is in the UK making sure you pass your gcse's the amount of stress and pressure put on students is ridiculous. The state just wants young adults to repeat the same as the same that came before them, shut up, work your arse off, pay your taxes and die. "Great" Britain totally...

What other system or solution do you propose?

Sadly, what you're describing is kind of the way life is. Not just in the UK but all first-world countries. Once you become an adult you will have to get a job. You will have to pay taxes. You will have a boss who tells you what to do and maybe how to do it, or else you get fired. If things did not work that way things would not work.

10 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Sadly, what you're describing is kind of the way life is. Not just in the UK but all first-world countries. Once you become an adult you will have to get a job. You will have to pay taxes. You will have a boss who tells you what to do and maybe how to do it, or else you get fired. If things did not work that way things would not work.

Thanos system, wipe out 50% of the worlds population and everyone revert back to the stone age lol

People defintely didn't live as long as we do now but they probably had a happier life. Not counting being hunted by big cats etc lol

Homo Sapiens didn't evolve to live this life

44 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I respectfully disagree with you here.

There are other kinds of schools which lean to teach kids, their value, make them discov er their own creativity and develop confidence in themselves to stand on their own. And not all schools like the one I described are private schools.

It's true that most educational systems are not like that, Most of the time Education is just an extent of the "training" system from the government. And please don't just jump on what I'm saying, but it's true.

School is a place where kids are going to learn academics, but most of all, "schools" are the place they are going to learn social behaviour. You learn, you are taught to "fit in"!

But that is mainly the problem of schools where you have hundreds and thousands of students. And it's just as desctructive for the teachers as for the students. But it's "good" for the kind of society we are in now.

There are other kinds of schools, different kinds of schools, different ways of teaching. They exist, they work and they are more than fine and successful. My daughter goes in a school like that, BUT... Is it "convenient" to have them generalized? That's another story.

Edited by Guest
Added details in italics

grain of salt as I am in homeschooling but I am on the robotics from the middle school and it seems that it does help. I have heard some teachers needed to be investigated more. USA.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

I will say that school in the US and other places needs to be changed.

But, school is also an essential element in ones life

Everyone learns differently, and school isn’t a 1 size fits all thing

IMO schools need to cater to each student’s needs, and get more funding if needed

but then teachers can be absolute shit too

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

14 hours ago, DarkDragon2K04 said:

:D bad choice in words there buddy.

the school system in a lot of places has its problems but i feel like even if the system was perfect most students wouldnt like it. :D 

anyway no. we cant just get rid of schools if anything i think we need more of it but maybe later in life. kids arent really receptive to mostof the taught topics yet. so we force the knowledge into them. i feel like later in life when you realize more of the world around you people actually get more curious and interested about how things work. but in general id say we need more of it and since most parents arent capable of doing i think we also need to teach kids more about actual life. i  mean the joke is pretty old at this point but i feel still true. i had absolutly no use for the polination cycle of the bees but i wished someone had told how to exactly do my taxes or manage my money in general or prepare me in any way for the real business world.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Even if you completely dismiss what everyone else here is saying (that you need school to become educated, duh), even more important is the fact that it will make you money. School is important for anyone who wants to make enough money to actually have hobbies, eat well etc. School is unimportant for people who like to live in a semi-ghetto,  eat the most basic shit, and have to work really hard to find a job, and when you find that job, it's flipping burgers at its best.

36 minutes ago, Fredrik Svantesson said:

Even if you completely dismiss what everyone else here is saying (that you need school to become educated, duh), even more important is the fact that it will make you money. School is important for anyone who wants to make enough money to actually have hobbies, eat well etc. School is unimportant for people who like to live in a semi-ghetto,  eat the most basic shit, and have to work really hard to find a job, and when you find that job, it's flipping burgers at its best.

Tell that to all the PhDs who can't find any job and are finally "flipping burgers" at the end of the day... And there are a LOT like that...