Privacy again - Mercedes Tracking Customers.

Seems the three pointed Swastika have been fitting covert gps systems to their leased and credit purchased cars here in brexit central. While it is illegal in the whole EU to track anyone or anything g in this way, it seems the slime balls at Mercedes weasel their way around the law by slapping a waiver hidden in the huge contract agreements. 

From the PCmag article.

Mercedes-Benz is using an unorthodox approach to making sure customers keep up on their car payments: tracking vehicle location in the event it needs to be repossessed.

According to UK newspaper The Sun, Mercedes-Benz has been fitting sensors inside new and used vehicles, which can pinpoint their exact whereabouts. That information can then be shared with bailiffs and third-party recovery firms.

Mercedes have yet to say who they are sharing the data with, and how often they are collecting it.

Still, it raises some questions about potential surveillance of customers. So far, Mercedes-Benz hasn't elaborated on whether all company cars have been fitted with the tracking technology. But the automaker's spokesperson and the brand's privacy policies do note that Mercedes-Benz will collect customers' vehicle location to power certain features like navigation or emergency services.

"We place great importance on the responsible and transparent use of customer data. The customer determines which services he wants to use and which data he wants to pass on —either by consent, by contract or at the push of a button," the automaker's spokesperson said.

According to Mercedes-Benz's privacy policies, you can opt out of the tracking, but it requires contacting the automaker or deactivating the affected services.

So they suggest they are collecting data also for navigation purposes. While this is little new, google do it to map traffic jams etc, this certainly feels a bit big brother from Mercedes. With google maps or to TomTom navigation you can simply switch it off. Mercedes offer an opt out “if” you now you are being tracked in the first place, and if you go to the automaker, pay them a fee and also loose some of the features of your car.

A lot of new cars are fitted with an emergency help button that sends your location to the emergency services. In most cases this is only transmitting your details when you are screaming in pain upside down in a ditch and jabbing the button with your blood stained pinky. I would guess the Mercedes system has to be always on, so we have to trust them to only collect the data when they deem fit. What they deem acceptable may not match what we feel is acceptable.

As a company car driver myself, although currently driving a Toyota, it does pose the question as to whether Mercedes are tracking company car drivers. These vehicles are also leased in most cases, so if it is the policy of the brand then company car drivers will not have seen the lease contract. As such how could this group of drivers make a decision and opt out? Unfortunately Mercedes will not say whether or not company cars have been fitted with these devices.

With more tech entering our cars, including cameras inside and outside of the car as well as audio recordings many are concerned our privacy is being eroded faster than global warming. It certainly seems odd that every time a Tesla crashes they know whether the driver was at fault very quickly.

6 minutes ago, Phill104 said:

So they suggest they are collecting data also for navigation purposes. While this is little new, google do it to map traffic jams etc, this certainly feels a bit big brother from Mercedes. With google maps or to TomTom navigation you can simply switch it off. 

Not really, Audi did a tech demonstration of car mesh networks sharing traffic data, couple of years ago and I am dead certain, BMW, Audi, VW gathers location data too. Also out of all news websites, thesun is the definition of clickbait. I wouldnt trust anything they release.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Yup.. thesun is utter garbage ?

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

9 minutes ago, Levent said:

Not really, Audi did a tech demonstration of car mesh networks sharing traffic data, couple of years ago and I am dead certain, BMW, Audi, VW gathers location data too. Also out of all news websites, thesun is the definition of clickbait. I wouldnt trust anything they release.

I totally agree about The Sun, it could only get worse if The Daily Mail wrote it... That is why I used the PCmag article rather than directly quote the tabloid trash.

However numerous news sources have approached the other German brands and they have stated they are not tracking customers. Mercedes have also responded.

Since posting above I found a news report from the eloquent John Cadogan on the subject. Made me chuckle. You have to respect the straight to the point talking of your average Aussie 

legal or not, tracking cars that arent payd off seems like a reasonable proposition

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

6 minutes ago, Maslofski said:

legal or not, tracking cars that arent payd off seems like a reasonable proposition

Not really. Not unless you fully disclose how that data is used and where it is shared. Does the driver have a right to k ow they are being tracked? Why should being a company car driver give third and fourth parties the right to track your every move and share that data?

If the system was only active in a recovery situation then fine, but it sounds like it is always on.

11 minutes ago, Maslofski said:

Depends on the agreement. In the UK once 1/3rd of the payments have been made the vehicle becomes protected and it required a court order to recover it. Tracking it and turning up with a spare set of keys would be theft, even though they still legally own it.

57 minutes ago, Arika S said:

gee, good job hiding your bias

Not really a bias, lots of people call them that even in Germany where up until recently my employer was (they split into UK and Europe just before one of the brexit deadlines sadly). I am also happy to insult any other motor brand, even the good ones. Since dieselgate they have all been fair game. Before that Audi, Merc and BMW were mainly just insulted for being owned by drivers that were happy to sit 3mm from your rear end or do 120mph in a 70. That says a lot about the kind of owners those brands attract here in the UK. Oddly, in other parts of the world different car brands attract the same type of driver while the likes of Merc seen as cars to be owned by the rich, older driver. With peer pressure and the ability to lease Smaller Merc and Audi’s with big engines are driven by younger, spoilt 20yr old lads with little experience to handle a powerful rear wheel drive car. One particular insurance company here in the UK stated that 36% of all their speed related fatalities were involving a Merc. This is not down to the safety of these cars, they are extremely good on that front, but the type of driver they seem to attract. It is also partly the reason they have ended up with that nick name. 

1 hour ago, Phill104 said:

Not really a bias, lots of people call them that even in Germany where up until recently my employer was (they split into UK and Europe just before one of the brexit deadlines sadly). I am also happy to insult any other motor brand, even the good ones. Since dieselgate they have all been fair game. Before that Audi, Merc and BMW were mainly just insulted for being owned by drivers that were happy to sit 3mm from your rear end or do 120mph in a 70. That says a lot about the kind of owners those brands attract here in the UK. Oddly, in other parts of the world different car brands attract the same type of driver while the likes of Merc seen as cars to be owned by the rich, older driver. With peer pressure and the ability to lease Smaller Merc and Audi’s with big engines are driven by younger, spoilt 20yr old lads with little experience to handle a powerful rear wheel drive car. One particular insurance company here in the UK stated that 36% of all their speed related fatalities were involving a Merc. This is not down to the safety of these cars, they are extremely good on that front, but the type of driver they seem to attract. It is also partly the reason they have ended up with that nick name. 

3mm? Still plenty of room there :/

3 hours ago, Phill104 said:

Not really a bias, lots of people call them that even in Germany

Um, no?

I've lived in the Stuttgart area my whole life and I've never heard this before.

31 minutes ago, Yeroh said:

Um, no?

I've lived in the Stuttgart area my whole life and I've never heard this before.

I suppose then it is the area I worked in. Please, it is the brand, not the German people I was insulting. Like Aussies, I appreciate the straight talking attitude of the German people as a whole. As I said, it is a brand that often attracts those who have little care for others here in the UK.

24 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

I get the feeling you're not a fan of Mercedes.... ?

I am not a fan of any automotive brand. To me they are just transport. I am certainly not a fan of the types of driver that tend to purchase the perceived luxury brands here in the UK, which are typically the German ones. Not suggesting bell ends don’t also drive other brands, but if you drive the kinds of high mileages I do you will soon see the number of cars that are doing a ton up on the motorway are made up of a high percentage of Audi, BMW and Mercedes drivers.

I do however lambaste brands when they do silly things like this. I also cannot understand how other brands such as Jeep dare to launch a car that gets a one star safety rating, or any of the brands that lied about their emissions. In the case of VW I actually think it has improved them as a company and are now seemingly more open and are investigating more than any other company in EV. 

Here in the UK there is still pressure on company car drivers to go with big Diesel engined cars, and that frustrates me. For instance, my company car list includes 4ltr Audi and Merc diesels, huge diesel land rovers and jags etc. What is not on our lists are any full EV cars, so a Renault Zoe is our of the question. The only hybrids we can have are from Toyota, so I choose to go that way. From speaking to someone at a lease company (so this is here say to some extent), the “luxury” brands apply pressure on some lease companies, as well as giving them good deals, to push those engines. If true, and I tend to believe it and to some extent understand it, this doesn’t earn them my respect. The traditional car makers have a huge number of employees in their factories which are hard to convert. German laws also are some of the best in the world when it comes to employee rights so again, that makes it hard for them in many ways to move forward. But don’t forget, it is these brands that have pushed the image of ever bigger luxury cars, and have enabled people to get them on finance. Here in the UK at least, many business users are expected to fit in with that Image (many of my colleagues do), and they then pass that on to their children and wives. For me there is absolutely no need for a 500ML on UK roads, or in fact any other massive car. Certain people at work every time car renewal comes try and push me in the direction of either a luxury German car or something from JLR, then ridicule me when I order a small hybrid. One chap in particular has then had to hold his head in shame when he wanted some help moving his daughter as he couldn’t fit some of her stuff in his huge Jag with a boot designed to just fit a set of golf clubs.

Rant over.

Seems to me that GDPR is going to cause them some problems here.

Like, I doubt it's fine for a big car company to track cars that are sold to customers without any agreement of the customer.

Also, what happens to 2nd hand cars? It's perfectly possible the first owner agreed to the tracking stuff but the second one isn't. How are they going to handle that?

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

8 hours ago, Phill104 said:

I am also happy to insult any other motor brand,

So because you don't like a brand, you think it's acceptible to say their logo is analogous to the symbol for the nazi party? 

The hell is wrong with you? Why is nazi the go to for this generation of people. Don't like someone or something? Say they are a nazi. Bam got 'em, now everyone else can dogpile on them for me. 

It's lost all meaning because people like you just slap it on anything. 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

It’s perfectly acceptable to track unpaid cars like this. You don’t actually own the car yet if you’re still paying it off. Technically, they are tracking the bank’s or the dealer’s car.

9 minutes ago, Arika S said:

So because you don't like a brand, you think it's acceptible to say their logo is analogous to the symbol for the nazi party? 

The hell is wrong with you? Why is nazi the go to for this generation of people. Don't like someone or something? Say they are a nazi. Bam got 'em, now everyone else can dogpile on them for me. 

That's something a Nazi would say!

/s

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

14 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Seems you have lost any sense of humour or perspective. There is no intent to take away from the atrocities of the holocaust. I am simply repeating a current comment that is being used about a brand. In many ways, using comments in this way helps us remember what went on. If we do not talk about such things whether it be in jest or not,  then we risk letting the deaths of millions of innocent people be forgotten, and risk a repeat.

Oh, and I dislike the automotive industry in general, not just Mercedes. It just happens to be the subject of this news. 

7 minutes ago, floofer said:

It’s perfectly acceptable to track unpaid cars like this. You don’t actually own the car yet if you’re still paying it off. Technically, they are tracking the bank’s or the dealer’s car.

Exactly. People seem to be ignorant that a lease means they don't own it, the bank, dealer, or whoever you negotiated with to pay off a car over a time period, owns it. There's also agreements with what you can do and can't with your car (e.g. bolting on performance mods or body kits) that the leasing company says, otherwise rates go up or they can repo it.

Want to be the one that owns the car and no one else and do whatever you want with it? Buy it outright, in whole, and at the negotiated final sale price instead!

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

1 minute ago, Phill104 said:

Seems you have lost any sense of humour or perspective. There is no intent to take away from the atrocities of the holocaust. I am simply repeating a current comment that is being used about a brand. In many ways, using comments in this way helps us remember what went on. If we do not talk about such things whether it be in jest or not,  then we risk letting the deaths of millions of innocent people be forgotten, and risk a repeat.

Humour or not, it's bad taste mate.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

11 minutes ago, Jurunce said:

Humour or not, it's bad taste mate.

It is only bad taste if you choose to take it that way. Some people would take offence at another wearing leather, or drinking milk. If people are offended so what, that is their choice.

Ricky Gervais said

Most offence is either caused by people mistaking the subject of the joke with the actual target or taking the joke personally. People love freedom of speech until they hear something they don't agree with.

The role of satire is to make people think. Any comment that seems in poor taste does just that, makes people think. 

3 minutes ago, Jurunce said:

Exactly. People seem to be ignorant that a lease means they don't own it, the bank, dealer, or whoever you negotiated with to pay off a car over a time period, owns it. There's also agreements with what you can do and can't with your car (e.g. bolting on performance mods or body kits) that the leasing company says, otherwise rates go up or they can repo it.

Want to be the one that owns the car and no one else and do whatever you want with it? Buy it outright, in whole, and at the negotiated final sale price instead!

While that is true, any such system should only be activated in the event of a breach. It appears in this case it is not. Nor should users have to worry about loosing features if they decide they don’t want unknown parties tracking their every move. Nor should company car drivers be tracked by unknown third parties simply because they have a benefit car. Nor should second owners be tracked after they have paid off the car. When Facebook or Apple get accused of any infringement on people privacy they get attacked, but when loved car brands do the same they get defended by many. Very duplicitous.