First crime committed in space: online identity theft?

spartaman64

Summer Worden, a former Air Force intelligence officer living in Kansas, has been in the midst of a bitter separation and parenting dispute for much of the past year. So she was surprised when she noticed that her estranged spouse still seemed to know things about her spending.

Ms. Worden put her intelligence background to work, asking her bank about the locations of computers that had recently accessed her bank account using her login credentials. The bank got back to her with an answer: One was a computer network registered to the National Aeronautics and Space Administration.

Ms. McClain acknowledged that she had accessed the bank account from space, insisting through a lawyer that she was merely shepherding the couple’s still-intertwined finances. Ms. Worden felt differently. She filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission and her family lodged one with NASA’s Office of Inspector General, accusing Ms. McClain of identity theft and improper access to Ms. Worden’s private financial records.

Ms. McClain, now back on Earth, submitted to an under-oath interview with the inspector general last week. She contends that she was merely doing what she had always done, with Ms. Worden’s permission, to make sure the family’s finances were in order.

“She strenuously denies that she did anything improper,” said her lawyer, Rusty Hardin, who added that the astronaut “is totally cooperating.”

Mr. Hardin said the bank access from space was an attempt to make sure that there were sufficient funds in Ms. Worden’s account to pay bills and care for the child they had been raising. Ms. McClain had done the same throughout the relationship, he said, with Ms. Worden’s full knowledge. Ms. McClain continued using the password that she had used previously and never heard from Ms. Worden that the account was now off limits, he added.

Ms. Worden filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission, accusing Ms. McClain of committing identity theft — though she saw no sign that anyone had moved or made use of the funds in the account.

The couple’s dispute revolved largely around Ms. Worden’s son, who was born about a year before the two met.

Ms. Worden, who had previously worked at the National Security Agency, resisted allowing Ms. McClain to adopt the child, even after they were married at the end of 2014.

In early 2018, while the couple was still married, Ms. McClain went to a local court in the Houston area to ask a judge to grant her shared parenting rights and “the exclusive right to designate the primary residence of the child” if the parties could not reach a mutual agreement, according to records. She contended that Ms. Worden had an explosive temper and was making poor financial decisions, and she wanted the court to “legally validate my established and deep parental relationship” with the young boy.

source: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/23/us/nasa-astronaut-anne-mcclain.html

I'm not a legal expert and I don't know if this constitutes identity theft but McClain should have asked her former wife whether or not she is still allowed to access her bank account and it seems by the situation the answer would have most likely been no and McClain would have known that. Also it seems she might also be trying to gather evidence against her former wife in a child custody case and without a court order that would probably be obtaining evidence illegally. And even though this happened in space each astronaut is still subject to the laws of their country including cyber laws.

legal side of this story makes my brain hurt.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

10 minutes ago, AlexOak said:

I thought space was lawless? 

"space", as in all the area outside of the legal height limits of a country's airspace, has the same legal structure, at least for residents of Earth, as when you are at sea outside of any country's legal jurisdiction (12 nautical miles for sea). That means when aboard a vessel (a ship, spaceship, or space station) you follow the laws of the country the vessel is registered with (and the captain of the vessel has additional authority while at sea / in space). For the ISS, half is registered as US and half is registered as Russian. Astronauts from other countries technically have to follow the laws of the nation of whichever half they are in, as well as the laws of whichever half they are an invited guest of, as well as their own country's laws. If there is a dispute between those laws, it usually gets worked out by the legal representatives of the space agencies, because noone wants that type of issue to become escalated up to the ambassadors or the heads of state.

While this may be the first civil crime to happen from space, it really is not noteworthy beyond the fact that the person involved happened to be in orbit. Astronauts are assigned times and specific computers for personal use. The connection only came from "NASA" because the main internet connection for that half of the station is via NASA.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

You are going through a breakup with a significant other and you know they have some of your passwords and have used them before. What idiot doesn't change there password? Worked at NSA. Quick someone go see if you can log into the NSA with Password as the Password.  

2 hours ago, Schnoz said:

Actually, the ISS falls under international law (I thonk). If you live there, you live under international law. So that still means no bank fraud, unfortunately.

Living on another planet? The habitat your country's space program set up falls under your law. Once you step out of it, you're in international waters.

Keep in mind McClain went through a NASA network and accessed info in the US.  Now, if it had been a crime committed solely in space (say, one astronaut killed another), then you'd have greater ambiguity.

tz7l1mijili31.jpg

(obvious sarcasm)

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

How dumb do you have to be to do this at work?

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

It's that damn unsecured space wifi. Speaking of unsecured, I bet you're wondering if this segway is secure. And thanks to PIA, it is. PIA, Private Internet Access, lets you browse the web anonymously, and safely. Using military grade encryption to keep your internet traffic safe and secure. Learn more at the link below: https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/linus-tech-tips

(i'm sorry plz don't ban me ;-; )

26 minutes ago, Andreas Lilja said:

How dumb do you have to be to do this at work?

If you're on the ISS for 6 months, then every connection you make will be "from NASA" (or "from RosCosmos"). She didn't do it while "at work", she did it during the regularly scheduled personal time. Astronauts on orbit are scheduled to work "normal" hours - more than 40 per week, but not much more.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

Why didn't she change her account passwords?  If we're being real and they're both accustomed to managing the finances, this is precisely what one should expect to happen until a divorce is finalized.  Especially when there are children, mortgages and property taxes in the mix. 

Wreaks of sensationalism and mud slinging drama.

7 hours ago, MoonSpot said:

Why didn't she change her account passwords?  If we're being real and they're both accustomed to managing the finances, this is precisely what one should expect to happen until a divorce is finalized.  Especially when there are children, mortgages and property taxes in the mix.  

Wreaks of sensationalism and mud slinging drama. 

Not sure I agree here.

If me and my partner broke up, and I still had the key to their apartment, I wouldn't just go into it and then claim ignorance. "What, you never took back the key so therefore I assumed I was authorized to walk into your apartment while you were at work to snoop around".

I don't think the argument that "she didn't know" holds water.

Once you break up, it should be on both people to establish what they can and can't do. I know my partners phone password, but if we broke up I wouldn't just assume I was still allowed to log into it, even if they didn't change the password. Especially not if I did it secretly without their knowledge.

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Not sure I agree here.

If me and my partner broke up, and I still had the key to their apartment, I wouldn't just go into it and then claim ignorance. "What, you never took back the key so therefore I assumed I was authorized to walk into your apartment while you were at work to snoop around".

I don't think the argument that "she didn't know" holds water.

Once you break up, it should be on both people to establish what they can and can't do. I know my partners phone password, but if we broke up I wouldn't just assume I was still allowed to log into it, even if they didn't change the password. Especially not if I did it secretly without their knowledge.

A jointly-held financial account is something different, though.  Those are partly your resources, not just theirs.

While I wouldn't presume to know every little detail of the situation, it sounds like Worden didn't quite understand that a joint account means... the other person has access.  (And they're entitled to it, too.)  McClain wasn't pilfering money from the account, she was apparently checking in like any adult curious about their finances.  You can't maintain a joint account and then complain that the other person knows about your major spending patterns.

wait can I use a vpn to the ISS? That would be epic!

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

This seems like a stupid dispute between two people going through a breakup the fact that one is acusing the other for identity theft for accessing an account they both used regularly seems like there might be ulterior motives. I think a good password change and telling them they can no longer access the account would have sufficed in resolving this issue. 

On 8/25/2019 at 12:50 PM, Levent said:

legal side of this story makes my brain hurt.

Can’t say it any begter

1 hour ago, will4623 said:

wait can I use a vpn to the ISS? That would be epic!

Must get NordVPN now to try this.. Would be cool if you could :D

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

Just now, Derkoli said:

Must get NordVPN now to try this.. Would be cool if you could :D

mention me and tell!

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

1 hour ago, will4623 said:

mention me and tell!

10 kbps vpn PogChamp

Just now, cj09beira said:

not gonna lie the Ms. Ms. thing threw my head around way too much, guessing the child is adopted then

We'll get used to it given enough time

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 hour ago, cj09beira said:

not gonna lie the Ms. Ms. thing threw my head around way too much, guessing the child is adopted then

the child is worden's she had him before they got married