Cooling my 3900X

Ive got the H150i installed on my 3900X.
While video encoding and playing a game load hits like 85%.
CPU will keep running at 3.8GHz tho, but its getting up to 73°C. I like to keep CPU temps under 70, can i do this with a 12-core?

Im thinking of adding an extra 2 120mm fans to my case (3+3 on AIO already installed)

Good to know: the rad gets intake air going trough so GPU heat shouldnt be that much of a problem ?

Any ideas on how to get better temps?

I am here to learn, please correct me if im wrong or you see me putting bs on your screen!

4 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

Better fans, higher pump speed, maybe just a better cooler overall.

pump is on max already, what cooler are u thinking about?

I am here to learn, please correct me if im wrong or you see me putting bs on your screen!

Try a 1.24 Volt undervolt in BIOS, you shouldn't get any noticeable slowdown, then keep decreasing frequency to 1.2, (reboot and retest between each 100 mv undervolt between 1.25 and 1.20) and you should keep performance, whilst losing a degree or two from your temps...

Custom fan settings

I have my 3900x in a Corsair 500D, which is a mediocre case when it comes to thermals but i didn't get it for the thermal performance. I use a Corsair H150i with 6*120mm fans. With another 120mm fan in the back and two 140mm fans at the top of the case. My PSU draws power from the case, though i can only do this because my PSU is total overkill for my system.

At 4.3GHZ all core, 1.4125 volt.

Max fan speed, about 1750rpm on the 120mm fans and about 1400rpm on the 140mm fans. My CPU sits at around 78-80 degrees C. For workloads requiring fewer cores, such as gaming. I get away with the ''quiet'' setting. Lowering fan RPM to about 700, barely audible.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

Yeah thats pretty much spot on for that..

You could possibly try running with lower voltage to see if that helps might be able to get the temps down a bit with that.

8 hours ago, BelgianNoise said:

CPU will keep running at 3.8GHz tho, but its getting up to 73°C. I like to keep CPU temps under 70, can i do this with a 12-core?

update the BIOS. 

and 73*C is a very fine temp under load. 

I think it also depends on what you're using to record temps. I think Ryzen Master records the temps of the hottest core as the total CPU temp so it might not be as bad as you think. But yeah, like others have stated, 73 degrees on that chip is fine. For my 3700X at stock I get 63 degrees on R20, 55 to 60 degrees on BFV and ~85 degrees on Prime95 small FFT. These chips do get hotter than previous gen but that also has to do with moving down to 7nm lithography and trying to pack so many cores into it; from what I've read around the internet at least that's what most reviewers suspect to be the cause of the temps. You can check this by looking at the AIO liquid temps.

Don't worry too much about your temps because you're still a decent way away from the thermal limit (95 degrees).

21 hours ago, Do you really wanna know said:

Try a 1.24 Volt undervolt in BIOS, you shouldn't get any noticeable slowdown, then keep decreasing frequency to 1.2, (reboot and retest between each 100 mv undervolt between 1.25 and 1.20) and you should keep performance, whilst losing a degree or two from your temps...

I already heart that 3th gen should perform better with a slight undervolt to 1.25V. I tried this, but my CPU is only getting up to 3.7GHz that way.

22 hours ago, BelgianNoise said:

Ive got the H150i installed on my 3900X.
While video encoding and playing a game load hits like 85%.

Im thinking of adding an extra 2 120mm fans to my case (3+3 on AIO already installed)

Good to know: the rad gets intake air going trough so GPU heat shouldnt be that much of a problem ?

Any ideas on how to get better temps?

More fans will not really help much i own the same cooler on my 3700X and see around the same temps at max load. Have you noticed how are aio temp is low? Mine is lower then it was on a 2700X but the CPU runs hotter