Home theatre and 120Hz video

fmagdi

I know this was discussed about a year ago to some extent here:

However I was hoping there are new developments. Here's the deal:

1. I'm couch gaming with PC (1070Ti, 5.1 audio output via HDMI) to AVR (Marantz NR1042 with a 5.1 speaker setup, 1.4a HDMI, old I know), then AVR to TV via HDMI.
  2. Everything was fine on my older TV (1080p 60Hz), and my PC detects and sends audio to the AVR as 5.1
  3. I got a new TV (Samsung NU8000, 120Hz), set the PC to 1440p 120Hz video, and the image is dead. As I understand it, my AVR doesn't support 120Hz signal even in Pure Direct mode
  4. I have since connected the PC to the TV via HDMI to get the 120Hz video display, then audio from TV to the AVR via HDMI ARC port, resulting in only stereo output reaching the AVR (the PC dims the option to set spacial sound to anything but stereo once connected to the TV)

I'm planning to buy a new sound system if that solves the problem, so here are my ideas on the (hypothetical) options:

1. Find a new AVR that supports video passthrough of 1440p 120Hz, willing to wait if that's a near future possibility if not available yet.
  2. Switch to a Samsung surround sound bar (maybe with Atmos) + subwoofer setup if (and only if) that would make the PC see the TV as surround capable and send the audio as such. In which case:
    1. How much of a trade off in audio experience will that be considering the addition of Atmos and loss of the physical rear speakers? I heard mixed opinions about the whole surround vs sound bar.
    2. Is it possible to add extra physical speakers to a sound bar for rear surround?
  3. Somehow split the HDMI signal in 2 (Audio and Video), sending Video to TV and Audio to AVR. In which case:
    1. Is there a trusted product to perform this for a 120Hz video signal and 5.1 audio signal?
    2. Would it be recognised by the PC as surround capable?
    3. How much lag should I expect to be introduced in between the PC and TV?
  4. Did I miss an option? Any creative solutions out there that I didn't consider.

Thanks in advance

i have the samsung 7100 and a pioneer vsx-532
my avr will do 1080 and 1440 at 120hz and of course 4k at 60hz

as for sound you have to go into tv's audio/expert setup and tell it what to output. you should have a choice in hdmi audio input format of bitstream or pcm (i can only get pcm to work)

the below that is digital audio format with pcm and dolbys...im going to guess it will lock with pcm which is fine. i have yet to be able to select the dolbys (maybe toslink)
the only other option would be to run 2 hdmi. 2 from comp, one going to receiver one to tv. then use a toslink from tv to receiver for audio for the tv apps

with pcm im still getting surround even thou i cant choose anything on what to set on receiver. im guessing your actually setting it as stereo by trying to access the other formats...leave the receiver as pcm.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/22/2019 at 12:23 PM, fmagdi said:

I know this was discussed about a year ago to some extent here:

I'm planning to buy a new sound system if that solves the problem, so here are my ideas on the (hypothetical) options:

1. Did I miss an option? Any creative solutions out there that I didn't consider.

Thanks in advance

Not sure if you've resolved this, but it doesn't sound like a solution was reached. Can you not run the audio from the PC to the AVR with an optical cable, and just change your audio output device? You'd only need the 1 HDMI cable (video) and the 1 TOSLINK (optical) cable (audio). And then you can just mute the TV (or leave it at 1 if it constantly shows an icon when muted), or even disable the HDMI audio in the output settings.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)