Want to install an additional 1TB HDD for RAID 0 but don't know how.

Abronymous
Go to solution Solved by madknight3,

Care to assist me how? I'm not experienced at doing this kind of this.

It sounds like you already have your OS on the SSD with the SSD currently being the only drive in your computer. If that is correct, just put the WD 1 TB HDD in your computer, boot into windows or whatever OS you're using, and set it up to be a secondary drive (you can use Disk Management program that comes with Windows assuming that's the OS you're using).

Greeting fellow fans of LinusTechTips.

I have an additional WD Black 1TB HDD and I now just recently got an extra SATA cable to be able to install the hard drive but I don't know how to install into RAID 0. If I am not mistaken, this is what I think what I should do but I came here to confirm this. What I was originally thinking was completely wiping the 120GB SSD currently installed on my computer (formatting it clean) and plug in the extra HDD and reinstall windows but I became skeptical of whether I should do that or not.

May I have some assistance on this please? It'd be much appreciative.

Explain what all drives are in, or will be in the RAID 0. 

You should not RAID 0 together a 120GB SSD and a 1TB HDD if that's what you are thinking. That'd be bad.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Explain what all drives are in, or will be in the RAID 0. 

You should not RAID 0 together a 120GB SSD and a 1TB HDD if that's what you are thinking. That'd be bad.

Not OP, but could you explain why it'd be bad? Would it decrease the performance? I'm not very smart.

I'm not really sure what I should do. I just want to increase my storage space without making my SSD useless.

Not OP, but could you explain why it'd be bad? Would it decrease the performance? I'm not very smart.

I would imagine it's because half the bytes are being written to a slower hard drive thus reducing performance greatly. The SSD's speed becomes limited by the HDD's speed.

Greeting fellow fans of LinusTechTips.

I have an additional WD Black 1TB HDD and I now just recently got an extra SATA cable to be able to install the hard drive but I don't know how to install into RAID 0. If I am not mistaken, this is what I think what I should do but I came here to confirm this. What I was originally thinking was completely wiping the 120GB SSD currently installed on my computer (formatting it clean) and plug in the extra HDD and reinstall windows but I became skeptical of whether I should do that or not.

May I have some assistance on this please? It'd be much appreciative.

If you have a single 1TB HDD and a single 120 GB SSD, then install the OS on your SSD for your boot drive and use the WD 1 TB HDD as a second drive for mass storage.

If you have 2 SSDs or 2 HDD's then you can pair them in raid. But you don't pair an SSD and HDD in raid.

What Madknight3 said. 

If you would be writing to the HDD and the SSD, the write speed would be limited to the point where it would be like 2 HDD's. Thus making the SSD pointless because the HDD can't keep up. 

That, and it would make 880GB of the HDD inaccessible. Because RAID 0 has to be between same size volumes. And accessing the other 880GB while the other 120GB is in RAID 0 would make RAID 0 pointless because it would make it even slower.

It's just a terrible idea in general. There are only negatives that can come from it.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Edited by Abronymous

It sounds like you already have your OS on the SSD with the SSD currently being the only drive in your computer. If that is correct, just put the WD 1 TB HDD in your computer, boot into windows or whatever OS you're using, and set it up to be a secondary drive (you can use Disk Management program that comes with Windows assuming that's the OS you're using).

Thank you for the assistance. I will be back momentarily.

I'm not really sure what I should do. I just want to increase my storage space without making my SSD useless.

you can do that anyways, you can install stuff to the HDD and still run them on windows installed on your SSD.  Or you could make a bloody huge cache for your 1TB drive LOL. 

I'm having issues. I have it detected in my bios load up but it doesn't pop up in the Hard Drives