Motherboard / CPU Area slowly starts to click over time.

So recently my pc has started to sound a bit funny and is starting to worry me.

Specs just incase:

Intel i5 4460 @ 3.2ghz 

8GB Hyper X Beast

ASUS Z97-K

H75 Cooler (Corsair)

EVGA 650W 80+ GOLD

ASUS STRIX 1060 6GB

KINGSTON 120GB SSD

WD BLACK 1TB

So anyway, When I turn my pc on, this sound is not to be found at all. As time goes on a small clicking / rattling noise coming from the cpu area. I have checked both fans already on the cooler and removed them entirely just to check and it is infact the motherboard area.

I've reseated my cpu, my mobo, gpu and ram (from slots 2/4 to 1/3 and so)

EDIT: If I restart my pc the same pattern happens again, nothing at first then gradually builds.

The longer it's on the more the sound appears, becomes faster and more constant rather than just 1-2 clicks earlier on.

Try unplugging your HDD, see if it persists

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

It's definitely not the pump from your H75? If it's from the CPU/Mobo area then the only thing I could think of is the cooler or the retention lock for the CPU... 

Edit: I didn't think about the HDD because of the location, but thanks GrockleTD for reminding me, the HDD does usually tick as it boots up and starts to read/write from storage. It could just be the sound of the HDD.

5 minutes ago, vK 3 1 RON said:

It's definitely not the pump from your H75? If it's from the CPU/Mobo area then the only thing I could think of is the cooler or the retention lock for the CPU... 

Edit: I didn't think about the HDD because of the location, but thanks GrockleTD for reminding me, the HDD does usually tick as it boots up and starts to read/write from storage. It could just be the sound of the HDD.

The hard drive is at the bottom front of the pc underneath the shell, as i use an NZXT S340 so it's at a completely diff location.

Yeah, I'm really torn between it being either the cooler or motherboard.

Motherboard doesn't have moving parts, on the other hand:

You have an Corsair H75 AIO, which pumps water around at a very fast speed.

Depending on how old your AIO is, it could be either air bubbles in the loop (most probable), or your pump is dying.

Where is your radiator mounted in the case?

The tubes should be at the bottom of the radiator, not the top, so rotate the radiator if needed.

17 minutes ago, chawndi said:

The longer it's on the more the sound appears, becomes faster and more constant rather than just 1-2 clicks earlier on.

Definitely air bubbles.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

1 minute ago, Origami Cactus said:

Motherboard doesn't have moving parts, on the other hand:

You have an Corsair H75 AIO, which pumps water around at a very fast speed.

Depending on how old your AIO is, it could be either air bubbles in the loop (most probable), or your pump is dying.

Where is your radiator mounted in the case?

The tubes should be at the bottom of the radiator, not the top, so rotate the radiator if needed.

Oh, my pipes have always been at the top. I'll give the radiator a switch around and see how that works. And the radiator sits on the back case fan slot.

Just now, chawndi said:

Oh, my pipes have always been at the top. I'll give the radiator a switch around and see how that works. And the radiator sits on the back case fan slot.

Yeah, that is bad, definitely rotate that. As AIO's age, they get a little emptier, so when the tubes are on the top, they can't reach the water basically.

19 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Yeah, that is bad, definitely rotate that. As AIO's age, they get a little emptier, so when the tubes are on the top, they can't reach the water basically.

Just flipped the rad and put the pipes to the bottom, will update if anything happens or if the same thing happens again :)

Thankyou :D 

Just now, chawndi said:

Just flipped the rad and put the pipes to the bottom, will update if anything happens or if the same thing happens again :)

Thankyou :D 

Keep me posted! ^_^

1 hour ago, Origami Cactus said:

Keep me posted! ^_^

Update: It's been since I last posted and the clicking noises have returned, would this maybe stop after time as the pipes are on the bottom?

I hear what some might describe as a clicking noise from my AIO so that may be it.

But I was wondering if you've ruled out your GPU.  On mine the fan would strike the fan or LED cable so I had to push it out of the way.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Just now, nick name said:

I hear what some might describe as a clicking noise from my AIO so that may be it.

But I was wondering if you've ruled your GPU.  On mine the fan would strike the fan or LED cable so I had to push it out of the way.  

GPU is fine, have tested it without the gpu.

17 minutes ago, chawndi said:

Update: It's been since I last posted and the clicking noises have returned, would this maybe stop after time as the pipes are on the bottom?

Well if it is the air bubbles, they would need time to clear out yes.

But if you hear the clicking, can you put your hand against the pump, do you feel the clicks?

1 minute ago, chawndi said:

GPU is fine, have tested it without the gpu.

Hmmmmmmmmm.

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

16 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Well if it is the air bubbles, they would need time to clear out yes.

But if you hear the clicking, can you put your hand against the pump, do you feel the clicks?

Can feel some sort of clicking ish, in about 3 hours of uptime in total the clicking is horrendously fast and loud.

You might be suffering from a bit of permeation then.  Corsair has 5 year warranties on their AIOs -- how old is yours?

22 minutes ago, nick name said:

You might be suffering from a bit of permeation then.  Corsair has 5 year warranties on their AIOs -- how old is yours?

I think maybe 4 close to 5.

Don't have the receipt nor box for it anymore.

Just now, chawndi said:

I think maybe 4 close to 5.

Don't have the receipt nor box for it anymore.

@Corsair Nick can you help out here?

51 minutes ago, chawndi said:

Can feel some sort of clicking ish, in about 3 hours of uptime in total the clicking is horrendously fast and loud.

F. The pump might be gone. Let's see what @Corsair Nick thinks of it.

47 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

F. The pump might be gone. Let's see what @Corsair Nick thinks of it.

Alright, If there's no way they can help with replacing I may aswell switch to a simple 212 Evo until I buy the new gen set of Intel processors anyway :)

But hope there's a fix to it somehow.

Just curious, what are your CPU temps like?  Higher than usual?  Our AIO's should run the full length of the 5 year warranty, if not longer.  I would submit a ticket through our support site, just in case you need to replace the unit.  This will get the ball rolling.

https://support.corsair.com/

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out:

AIO's don't last last.  I had a h100i GTX for out. Made clicking sounds. Took it apart it had horrible plasticizer build up in the block and pump. Cleaned it all out refilled it and it worked perfectly.

4 minutes ago, Corsair Nick said:

Just curious, what are your CPU temps like?  Higher than usual?  Our AIO's should run the full length of the 5 year warranty, if not longer.  I would submit a ticket through our support site, just in case you need to replace the unit.  This will get the ball rolling.

My temps remain fine, it's just that the cooler gets super noisy as time goes on.

Try running the system on it's side with the radiator elevated above the pump, tubes at the bottom, and the logo on cooler facing the ceiling for a few hours.  See if the noise goes away.

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out:

28 minutes ago, Corsair Nick said:

Try running the system on it's side with the radiator elevated above the pump, tubes at the bottom, and the logo on cooler facing the ceiling for a few hours.  See if the noise goes away.

I'll give that a try and see how it performs.