Honey Extension - Does it ever feel unethical to you?

Chett_Manly

I've been using the Honey extension for a few weeks now. For most things it seems to just give me the coupons I already got in an e-mail or advertised on the site. Which is great.

Yet then there is this $20 coupon I keep getting at Safeway from it. A coupon Safeway has never sent me, and I cannot find anywhere. Yet it works. Which gave me this feeling that I am somehow pulling one over on Safeway, that I have somehow gotten this secret code that I am not supposed to have and using it to cheat them of $20 a week. I mean who gives out an unlimited use coupon of $20 off any order no strings attached?

What if the code is only for employees, and it says so on the employee handout that had it, would Honey be committing some sort of fraud offering it? Woud I for using it? I do not know what circumstances it was given out, but certainly suspect that it was not for general public use.

I guess the question is, is it unethical to use coupons you were not supposed to receive? 

If the business accepts the coupon then it's on them, is the way I see it.

Employee coupons etc. in my experience almost always require some kind of verification that you actually work at the place in question. The only exception I've found is things like periodic "friends and family" discounts where an employee grabs a book of coupons (or a coupon code) and gives them to friends and family. Someone COULD just post that code out for a while.

If it troubles you so much and if you think that the service you're getting from that business is worth full price then just don't use Honey there ;)

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

35 minutes ago, HarryNyquist said:

Employee coupons etc. in my experience almost always require some kind of verification that you actually work at the place in question. The only exception I've found is things like periodic "friends and family" discounts where an employee grabs a book of coupons (or a coupon code) and gives them to friends and family. Someone COULD just post that code out for a while.

Can confirm. Walmart required me to have a physical card, State Fair Board required me to have a name badge, and Office Depot required an employee ID number. Most employee discounts are regulated, I'm pretty sure for tax reasons.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Since Honey (supposedly) makes it's money from the websites it partners with, isn't it safe to assume that said website is cool with whatever codes Honey is allowing people to use?

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

If you obtained the code legally then I would use it.  If Safeway are not cool with it, then when they work it out they can decide if they have made a mistake or if they have been done wrong by honey.  Either way you obtained the code legally and Safeway are accepting it at purchase.

EDIT: also don't forget Safeway (like all large companies) will be the first to tell you how beneficial capitalism is for the economy, so capitalize on their services while you can.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

50 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

Since Honey (supposedly) makes it's money from the websites it partners with, isn't it safe to assume that said website is cool with whatever codes Honey is allowing people to use?

That's exactly how it works. The website pays Honey a commission for each coupon used - the idea is that honey will generate more business than without honey.

Personally, I tried Honey and found the damn thing useless. Every site I tried, it either had a bunch of coupons that didn't apply or didn't work, or simply didn't have any coupons at all.

Aside from the ones where it gives me like $0.01 or $0.05 discount. I found the extension more annoying than useful, because it would always pop up asking for me to check coupons, and inevitably come back with nothing useful.

Keep in mind: Canadian here - so maybe Honey sucks for Canadians.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I think its mainly where you can use it. Like its awful for Amazon, always trying to make me buy through 3rd parties. And a lot of other big retailers. Beyond the ridiculous $20 per order savings on my Groceries, I've not gotten anything great out of it beyond a 30% off coupon I used on a clothing site.  

All told its saved me about $80 in 3 weeks. If this Safeway thing continues on, it may make me $1000 by next year. ?

On 8/19/2019 at 2:55 PM, dalekphalm said:

I found the extension more annoying than useful, because it would always pop up asking for me to check coupons, and inevitably come back with nothing useful.

american here, i had the same issues. i tried it for a little while,  but since i do a lot more browsing than actual shopping, it just got super annoying and invasive.  completely ruined my browsing experience.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

On 8/19/2019 at 12:14 PM, HarryNyquist said:

In my past experiences, if I had an employee coupon that actually was designed to be used online, I usually have to either log in to an account with my work e-mail to use it directly, or type in a secondary code provided by work that's unique to me (eg. employee ID), in addition to the generic coupon for it to work.

CPU: Vulnerable to Meltdown | Motherboard: Has LEDs that I can't see | RAM: Bought too much | GPU: Mostly satisfactory so far in our relationship | Case: Shiny, black, very heavy and tall, with a Firefox sticker | Storage: Has too many old HDDs | PSU: Hasn't blown up yet like it's predecessor | Displays: Mismatched from Craigslist | Cooling: As many Noctuas as there are fan headers | Keyboard: Keys are fading |  Mouse: Needs cleaning |

Wait, what are the conditions?  Do you even know or is it sort of handled behind the scenes?  What I'm wondering is could you break up what you were going to buy anyway into many smaller orders and get $20 off each of them, rather than just once on the whole... xD

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

8 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Wait, what are the conditions?  Do you even know or is it sort of handled behind the scenes?  What I'm wondering is could you break up what you were going to buy anyway into many smaller orders and get $20 off each of them, rather than just once on the whole... xD

All I know is the code Honey provides works. So it is possible I could use the $20 off on a smaller order, and do multiple orders, but then you are also dealing with cost of delivery and the actual hassle of getting your order in multiple parts.