Do I have to screw in all motherboard holes?

Go to solution Solved by sazrocks,

Not really, unless it's one of the ones on the top and you have a particularly heavy cooler (like and NH-D15).

I was able to screw my motherboard into all the standoffs except for one, for some reason this last one just won't reach it just keeps going, but I've secured all the remaining screws. So now there are 5 screws, 6 including the one in the middle which holds it in place. Do I really have to get this last one? I'm starting to get frustrated by this :/

Not really, unless it's one of the ones on the top and you have a particularly heavy cooler (like and NH-D15).

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

No but the concern isn't so much that it isn't screwed in and more why won't it screw in?

If the standoffs are installed correctly and the board is installed correctly then there should be no reason why all screws shouldn't screw straight in. If one won't reach then the board must be twisted, warped or not sat down properly. You should check it's not sat on a wire or something.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

NO, you don't need to have all.

You would probably be fine with just two, on diagonal opposites on the motherboard. More screws just align the motherboard better with the case, so it makes it easier to add extension cards and everything.

Having standoffs in the first place is more important, because it's not good for the motherboard to flex when you insert extension cards into slots or cables into connectors

For example, you could leave the bottom right standoff out, because in that tiny corner there's no heavy components and you only insert light connectors, so you don't have to put pressure to insert those front panel connectors into the header.

But, you should have the standoffs in the area under the pci-e slots or near the 24 pin atx connector, because those are areas where there's pressure applied when inserting things, and there's potential for flexing the motherboard.

It's possible the thread in the case panel got damaged a bit or you inserted the standoff at a small angle causing the thread to not go right and damage the threading as you screwed the standoff, so now that standoff is just spinning as you turn the screw at the top.

Or maybe you accidentally used the wrong standoff ... typically there's UNC 6/32 standoffs used (which work with screws used on mechanical drivers and for screwing extension cards to case and psu to case)... but it's possible to have M3 standoffs which have finer thread and they're a bit smaller diameter (and they use screws normally used for optical drives)

you dont HAVE to, but the ones at the top are very important because of you cpu cooler's weight

Endeavor the best effor to fit all the screw, without compromising the torque balance. 

The weight of your cooler sits on your board; the tensile could be brutal if you are planning a twin tower air cooler. 

Insert/remove graphic card, IO cables, etc could have mislocate the board, if it is not at least triangularly secured. 

Part of the weight of your graphic card sits on your board too. 

I only put the top right corner and bottom left corner if i'm lazy.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

You can get by with just two or three depending on the build but more is better and makes plugging in cables and moving the PC about less scary

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Thanks, everyone! My computer works fine and all is good, so I guess I'll just leave it as it is then if it's fine since the only one missing is the one in the bottom left corner because it's really too much of a hassle. I'm not using any heavy cooler just a single fan EVO 212.