Spotify refuses to fix a bad driving hazard, calls it a feature instead.

There is nothing better than the good old buy and store your music on your devices,i have no need for stupify :D

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Let's see if I understand this correctly.  Spotify used to keep the phone screen on at all times while playing (unless you manually locked it of course), but now it allows the screen to timeout as it normally would and go black and lock?

That appears to be the general idea, yeah. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

That appears to be the general idea, yeah. 

Well then I don't see this as the serious problem it would appear to be by the 5 pages of content.  Of course if it's revealed my initial understanding of this issue was incorrect then everything below is null and void, but under the assumption that it's correct, I'd say the following:

1. If you're just skipping through a playlist or pausing/playing, that can be done either using your car's built-in controls when over bluetooth, or by just using the buttons in the spotify "notification" on the lock screen.  No need to even unlock the phone.
  2. If you do need to unlock the phone though, I don't think the requirement to press your finger to the scanner for half a second is adding that much danger.
  3. You shouldn't be navigating through music in any way more serious than pause/skip anyway since that is surely going to take your eyes off the road for far too long, and this change does nothing about that
  4. If you make and/or pick the right playlist before you start driving you shouldn't have to mess with it beyond pausing and playing anyway

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

13 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well then I don't see this as the serious problem it would appear to be by the 5 pages of content.  Of course if it's revealed my initial understanding of this issue was incorrect then everything below is null and void, but under the assumption that it's correct, I'd say the following:

1. If you're just skipping through a playlist or pausing/playing, that can be done either using your car's built-in controls when over bluetooth, or by just using the buttons in the spotify "notification" on the lock screen.  No need to even unlock the phone.
  2. If you do need to unlock the phone though, I don't think the requirement to press your finger to the scanner for half a second is adding that much danger.
  3. You shouldn't be navigating through music in any way more serious than pause/skip anyway since that is surely going to take your eyes off the road for far too long, and this change does nothing about that
  4. If you make and/or pick the right playlist before you start driving you shouldn't have to mess with it beyond pausing and playing anyway

Beyond everything you’ve mentioned, touching the phone at all is irrelevant, since you can use voice controls available to all current iPhones (not sure about the 4 series, but newer ones certainly).

Thus, making this entire topic pointless.

There is actually legitimately no reason to touch the phone in any capacity to manage your music experience, since it can all be done via voice control. 

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

6 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Beyond everything you’ve mentioned, touching the phone at all is irrelevant, since you can use voice controls available to all current iPhones (not sure about the 4 series, but newer ones certainly).

Thus, making this entire topic pointless.

There is actually legitimately no reason to touch the phone in any capacity to manage your music experience, since it can all be done via voice control. 

Nice, didn't know that.  I have to ask though since I've been promised voice controls only to have it be utterly useless one time too many - do they actually work well?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Spotify's driving mode disagrees with you, but I digress.

At any rate, no one is advocating touching the phone.  I have no need to touch the phone.  The issue is whether it is safer or more dangerous for the phone's screen to turn off.  People in the Spotify community vote it is more dangerous.  That's the issue.

All that other guff you harp on about is irrelevant.

27 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

snip

One issue is that the phone shouldn’t be locking or fading if it’s plugged to power, but it seems that Spotify is using the lockout timer to go ahead regardless. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

24 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

One issue is that the phone shouldn’t be locking or fading if it’s plugged to power, but it seems that Spotify is using the lockout timer to go ahead regardless. 

This is EXACTLY the issue!!

EDIT:  Or more correctly, that is the issue that started all this to begin with.

Edited by IAmSandor
Clarification

Just now, ARikozuM said:

Well, I'd propose that it shouldn't be doing that regardless of the power situation.  I always turn that feature off.  I'm capable of clicking a button to turn the screen on and off when I want, I don't need a timer interfering.  So, if this is basing its action on the timeout timer, it wouldn't even happen for me.  They'd have to be adding their own timer which would be very strange, and that I suppose I could get behind hating xD  But, I would be locking it anyway.  Anytime I'm done using/holding my phone, I lock it.  I would never leave it sitting around unlocked, that would feel strange to me.  Especially on so many modern devices with OLED panels, that would really be wise.

22 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I always turn that feature off.  I'm capable of clicking a button to turn the screen on and off when I want, I don't need a timer interfering.  So, if this is basing its action on the timeout timer, it wouldn't even happen for me.  They'd have to be adding their own timer which would be very strange, and that I suppose I could get behind hating xD  But, I would be locking it anyway.  Anytime I'm done using/holding my phone, I lock it.  I would never leave it sitting around unlocked, that would feel strange to me.  Especially on so many modern devices with OLED panels, that would really be wise.

Ok, so your usage patterns just means you are not the demographic of people for whom this issue is relevant.

That doesn't invalidate any of those people's concerns.  

27 minutes ago, IAmSandor said:

Spotify's driving mode disagrees with you, but I digress.

Where is this driving mode? I can't find it in Spotify app. 

24 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

That should be an option on OS level not app level imo. Also Android removed that option many years ago and you can only enable that after you enable the hidden developer option. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

1 hour ago, IAmSandor said:

Ok, so your usage patterns just means you are not the demographic of people for whom this issue is relevant.

That doesn't invalidate any of those people's concerns.  

I think this ultimately boils down to if Spotify is using an internal timer of their own creation to time out the display, or if it's simply obeying what was set by the user at the OS level.  Conveniently I just happened to have a moment to test between the last post and now, and leaving my phone playing unlocked and on battery for over 30 minutes did not cause the screen to turn off, so that suggests to me that it is a case of the latter.  Because of that, this is actually not a problem but a bug fix.  In the current state, it obeys the system setting to either keep the screen on or time out, depending on what the user has set.  Before, if I understand correctly, it was keeping the screen on regardless.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I think this ultimately boils down to if Spotify is using an internal timer of their own creation to time out the display, or if it's simply obeying what was set by the user at the OS level.  Conveniently I just happened to have a moment to test between the last post and now, and leaving my phone playing unlocked and on battery for over 30 minutes did not cause the screen to turn off, so that suggests to me that it is a case of the latter.  Because of that, this is actually not a problem but a bug fix.  In the current state, it obeys the system setting to either keep the screen on or time out, depending on what the user has set.  Before, if I understand correctly, it was keeping the screen on regardless.

You are correct.  I just tested Apple Music player and it does it too ...go figure ... this must be a recent change.

The standalone YouTube Music player keeps phone screen on while the app is in the foreground - plugged into power or not, playing music or not.  It must have it's own timer and ignores the OS level one. 

Putting aside any car related arguments, I suppose for some apps ... like those playing video, people would be rightly pissed off if it tried to go to sleep every x mins.

1 minute ago, IAmSandor said:

You are correct.  I just tested Apple Music player and it does it too ...go figure ... this must be a recent change.

The standalone YouTube Music player keeps phone screen on while the app is in the foreground - plugged into power or not, playing music or not.  It must have it's own timer and ignores the OS level one. 

Putting aside any car related arguments, I suppose for some apps ... like those playing video, people would be rightly pissed off if it tried to go to sleep every x mins.

Yes, video is the one situation where obviously the screen should be kept on regardless of the OS setting.  I would think YouTube music is likely doing that because of the YouTube (video) aspect, otherwise it would join the rest in acting like this.

12 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I tested with iOS and Pandora, so there’s the disclaimer.

Lock Timer: 30 seconds

Pandora as active window

Unplugged: Did dim and lock after 25 and 30 seconds. 

Plugged to power: did not fade screen or lock after 30 seconds and stayed on for about 5 minutes before dimming. I’m not gonna keep an eye on it for longer than that. 

I’m happy that Pandora at least keeps the program/phone unlocked while plugged since power isn’t a priority.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

Pandora as active window

Plugged to power: did not fade screen or lock after 30 seconds and stayed on for about 5 minutes before dimming. I’m not gonna keep an eye on it for longer than that. 

I’m happy that Pandora at least keeps the program/phone unlocked while plugged since power isn’t a priority.

YouTube Music player stays on whether plugged in or playing ... as long as app is in foreground.

YouTube app stays on (makes sense cause who would want their video dimming every 30s).
I just found out Apple Music dims like Spotify however.  So, damn.

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

Pandora as active window

I suspect that that's due to OS behaviour and nothing to do with pandora.  It wouldn't surprise me if in the description of the screen timer, it says something about "when on battery", with the implication being it doesn't do that when plugged in, precisely for the reason you mentioned.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

I suspect that that's due to OS behaviour and nothing to do with pandora.  It wouldn't surprise me if in the description of the screen timer, it says something about "when on battery", with the implication being it doesn't do that when plugged in, precisely for the reason you mentioned.

I’m currently seeing if the same occurs with just stopwatch running.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I’m currently seeing if the same occurs with just stopwatch running.

Phone dims at 5 minutes and locks at 5:30. Will test with my usual 2 minute lockout tomorrow.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

First of all - it's your settings, not Soptify. I always turn off screen manually, never set "turn off after ... minutes". If I had a phone without that function, I would install separate tool to keep my screen on all the time (until I manually disable it) - that's the way I like to use my phone.

You want to keep your screen on all the time, but you don't want to setup your phone that way? And you want some kind of "fix" from Spotify?

I understand that you want automatic screen lock after x minutes excecpt when Spotify is running, but it's some kind of bad way to do that. Try to control your phone instead of rely on automatic functions.

11 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

The same thing happens with Apple Music app - even plugged in, the screen will shut off and the phone will lock. 

Its a music app. If we were talking about a video app that would be different. 

I don't see the problem. Don’t want the lockout? Disable it in phone settings. 

11 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Nice, didn't know that.  I have to ask though since I've been promised voice controls only to have it be utterly useless one time too many - do they actually work well?

I use Siri all the time. Works well for stuff like music control. You can do stuff like shuffle all music, skip, go back, restart song, pause, play specific song title, etc. 

On 8/26/2019 at 5:07 AM, dalekphalm said:

I tried pushing Sandor about this earlier because I genuinely could not think of a valid reason why the screen needed to be on at all times, or why you even needed physical interaction with your phone.

Here is the answer I got:

The real issue here is that people are people and they WILL want to see the cover art and song information and progress bar while driving.

The actual reason they gave for why the screen needs to be on is so that people can look at the album art and progress bar while driving... And apparently looking at the album art while driving is SOOOO important that if their phone gets locked, they will unlock it even if it puts them and others in an unsafe situation.

If anyone actually thinks that way I genuinely do not believe they should have a driver's license. If you don't know looking at album art or a progress bar is less of a priority than looking at the road then you shouldn't be driving.

Obviously I think that argument is completely made up and the real reason these people want the screen to be on is because they want to easily be able to scroll around on their music playlist and pick songs. But they can't say that they want to pretend being DJs in their cars because that won't make people take their side. So they act like this is Spotify putting people in danger when the only people putting others in danger are those who fiddle with their phones instead of focusing on driving.