Ryzen threadripper 1920x for gaming and future proofing?

Go to solution Solved by Lurick,

Why not a 3900X?

It's 10 12 cores and would give you a much better base/boost clock over the threadripper

Edit:

Thanks @MMKing

Hi,

I am building a new pc sometime soon I was unsure to get a 9700k or a threadripper 1920x for gaming. I am hoping for this build to last 5 years, so I was unsure if all 12 cores of the tr will ever become useful. I won’t be overclocking. Video editing/ gaming

Just now, tods2006 said:

Hi,

I am building a new pc sometime soon I was unsure to get a 9700k or a threadripper 1920x for gaming. I am hoping for this build to last 5 years, so I was unsure if all 12 cores of the tr will ever become useful. I won’t be overclocking.

No such thing as future proofing.

any reason your avoiding Ryzen 3000 series?

Just now, The Torrent said:

No such thing as future proofing.

any reason your avoiding Ryzen 3000 series?

No not at all I just forgot to look into them, I only just started the reasearch. Would they be the best option?

1 minute ago, tods2006 said:

No not at all I just forgot to look into them, I only just started the reasearch. Would they be the best option?

Yes and I think no one will disagree.

look at 3700x or 3900x

Why not a 3900X?

It's 10 12 cores and would give you a much better base/boost clock over the threadripper

Edit:

Thanks @MMKing

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

My 12 core 3900x is easily beating the 16 core 1950x in cinebench 20. Checking out some reviews, the 8 core 3700x is not significantly behind the 1920x.

The first generation threadripper is simply outdated, unless they are
a) cheap (very)
b) you require a large amount of pci-e lanes at a low cost.
or c) You need to install allot of memory.

For pure processing performance, they are not a good buy in 2019.

@Lurick 12 core*

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

10 minutes ago, tods2006 said:

Hi,

I am building a new pc sometime soon I was unsure to get a 9700k or a threadripper 1920x for gaming. I am hoping for this build to last 5 years, so I was unsure if all 12 cores of the tr will ever become useful. I won’t be overclocking.

Is it just for gaming? Threadripper does AWFUL in gaming. I would suggest either 3600 or a 9700k. Theres really no point in paying 400-550$ for a CPU for just gaming when you arent doing anything else.

2 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Is it just for gaming? Threadripper does AWFUL in gaming. I would suggest either 3600 or a 9700k. Theres really no point in paying 400-550$ for a CPU for just gaming when you arent doing anything else.

he never said gaming and went to asking about intel flagship and thread ripper so doubt its just gaming

10 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Video editing and gaming

38 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

he never said gaming and went to asking about intel flagship and thread ripper so doubt its just gaming

Look in the Title. Please read before typing that :P Intel Flagships are pretty much the gaming kings, and have been for nearly a decade. Ryzen 3000 certainly puts up a good fight and i expect them to be even better going forward. 

33 minutes ago, tods2006 said:

Video editing and gaming

Again you really dont need much. You want to build your audience first with what you have or make small purchases rather then make a big purchase and have nothing to show for it. 8700k, 9700k with Quick sync on Adobe Premiere is a lot better. If you use Davinci resolve or others then Ryzen works just as well too. Fit what you can afford. Still reccomend Ryzen 5 3600, use what you have in your budget and dont overspend.

1 minute ago, Shimejii said:

Look in the Title. Please read before typing that :P Intel Flagships are pretty much the gaming kings, and have been for nearly a decade. Ryzen 3000 certainly puts up a good fight and i expect them to be even better going forward. 

Again you really dont need much. You want to build your audience first with what you have or make small purchases rather then make a big purchase and have nothing to show for it. 8700k, 9700k with Quick sync on Adobe Premiere is a lot better. If you use Davinci resolve or others then Ryzen works just as well too. Fit what you can afford. Still reccomend Ryzen 5 3600, use what you have in your budget and dont overspend.

accident 'just gaming' it should say

Maybe he has an audience and is a big youtuber. Maybe hes just loaded and has cash to spend let a guy spend what he wants. I understand changing parts, im not a fan of persuading people to do a lesser build because 'they dont need it', im a fan of get the best you can afford.

15 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

accident 'just gaming' it should say

Maybe he has an audience and is a big youtuber. Maybe hes just loaded and has cash to spend let a guy spend what he wants. I understand changing parts, im not a fan of persuading people to do a lesser build because 'they dont need it', im a fan of get the best you can afford.

No you dont just let a guy spend what he wants when its not smart too. Its a waste of money where you can spend it better. Sure if you buy a 3900x its going to be better then a 3600. But what is that value when you arent making revenue back? More then likely they are just starting out and trying to figure out what to do. Big youtubers would just get sponsored or buy one rather then build one 9 out of 10 times. Worst comes to worst he buys a 3600 with a x570 board, makes enough money to sell the 3600 and get an even better 4000 series CPU when its working out well and you can afford it. Worst comes to worst you didnt spend a Ton of money on the system and its doing everything you ask of it and will last a while :)

19 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

No you dont just let a guy spend what he wants when its not smart too. Its a waste of money where you can spend it better. Sure if you buy a 3900x its going to be better then a 3600. But what is that value when you arent making revenue back? More then likely they are just starting out and trying to figure out what to do. Big youtubers would just get sponsored or buy one rather then build one 9 out of 10 times. Worst comes to worst he buys a 3600 with a x570 board, makes enough money to sell the 3600 and get an even better 4000 series CPU when its working out well and you can afford it. Worst comes to worst you didnt spend a Ton of money on the system and its doing everything you ask of it and will last a while :)

Can be spent better? Yes on the pc.

i don’t agree with messing with the budget.

no use? of course he’ll get use out of it! Futureproofing as per his title maybe you should read his title next time!

buy what u need when u need it, and spend much as u can not reserve urself waiting for something better as I’ve been told so many times on these forums.

If u ain’t aiming to make it super big, don’t bother going Into becoming a youtuber.

and if ur gonna do something. Do it properly. Do it full on. Full mindset. If ur gonna do it, actually do it not ‘don’t spend too much money incase u don’t make it’.