Who would want a keyboard like this? – Chassepot C1000 Review

James

Cool design, too bad it has some major flaws.

The best way to get as much mouse room as possible would IMO be a 60% keyboard, with a function row added up top (I still often need that), but with the numpad on the left side (instead of the right side). The navigation cluster (including arrow keys) would probably work out nicely above. Or you could differentiate on the arrow keys by integrating something like a joystick or trackball, where the arrow keys normally are. With a layout as such, you are not making sacrifices (you still get all the same keys as a standard 108 keyboard), you just have some stuff moved elsewhere.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I wouldn't. I'm typing blind and will not deal with shenanigans like moving buttons around. Also, I'm only interested in ergonomic keyboards and pretty satisfied with the Natural 4000. If there's one complaint it's that the button clicks are too loud. I'd prefer a completely silent keyboard.

And here I sit using a layout that has the <> keys squeezed in between shift and Z. Wouldn't want a actual arrow key there instead, would be so confusing.

Though, moving the windows key is almost sacrilegious to be fair...

I do have to agree that the design seems like it were made by people that doesn't have much experience with keyboards at all.

Since they have moved so many things around almost arbitrarily to be fair.

Though, I rock a Logitech G110 with a Scandinavian layout, so not all that normal per say. (If only it had the green part of RGB....)

This one should work fine as the 2nd/3rd keyboard for extra macros - it still has the key amount of the full-sized keyboard but takes much less space on the desk...as far as I understood

Linus's french is amazing...

I'd considered a tenkeyless for work given lack of space, but I rely on the nums pad way too much for shortcuts, so I just slammed mouse sensitive to the max. Given practice, I'm going fast enough with the inventory management software that my boss's jaw kind of dropped a bit watching me, and kind of intimidating several co-workers. :/

I'd been asked several times to teach others to go as fast, but a) I wouldn't ever recommend anyone else subject their wrists to this unless absolutely certain they can take it, and b) how do I teach what is effectively muscle memory? Clicking very tiny icons with sensitivity on max took me time to do reliably and quickly.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I think it goes without saying that Seasonic is proud to have Linus in FULL SEXY MODE overlaid on top of the advertising they paid for. ?

image.thumb.png.fcd2beb299e46c2a40877df5a254a73a.png

Get me drunk at a German biergarten and I'll be calling that keyboard the Scheissepot

Curious about the "00" key not being reprogrammable....I got a USB num pad to reprogram for macros (some whatever brand on amazon that isn't even there anymore).  It has a "00" key, but what I found is rather than it sending a signal for "00" when pressed, it's hard wired to send "0" multiple times quickly, so my driver software just see's the "0" key.

I wonder if this keyboard is using a similar system.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

When I initially saw this I thought YAY, as it looked like it might have promise as an editors or other speciality keyboard. 
The ability to reach up and stab a few keys at the top programmed to need.

Then it just went downhill with the details. The layout for typing alone would be horrible.
There are reasons Qwerty in its total design does so well. 

Its not my fault I am grumpy, you try having a porcelain todger that's always hard! 

When I initially saw this I thought YAY, as it looked like it might have promise as an editors or other speciality keyboard. 
The ability to reach up and stab a few keys at the top programmed to need.

Then it just went downhill with the details. The layout for typing alone would be horrible.
There are reasons Qwerty in its total design does so well. 

Its not my fault I am grumpy, you try having a porcelain todger that's always hard! 

4 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

Curious about the "00" key not being reprogrammable

I'm more curious why is there such key in the first place... this feels so 90's and old scientific calculators like.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

general question open to public: would you guys prefer a keyboard with a driver that does the macros through GUI, or would you guys prefer coding macros into the firmware into a QMK-based keyboard? o_o

The second one.  I won't even use a mouse or keyboard if you need to run software in the background to get full functionality out of it.

19 hours ago, Princess Luna said:

I'm more curious why is there such key in the first place... this feels so 90's and old scientific calculators like.

It's apparently a big thing for financial/accountant needs (just from what I saw in product descriptions while shopping)

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

17 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

general question open to public: would you guys prefer a keyboard with a driver that does the macros through GUI, or would you guys prefer coding macros into the firmware into a QMK-based keyboard? o_o

well, for my number pad I mentioned above, I use a usb control program. This is all on a mac, btw...I have programmed sets for numerous different programs, that I can switch on the fly (actually using another usb keypad to act as the switch controls for the other).  The main advantage of this has been the cost....both keypads together have cost me around $15, with the software $25....and the same software also lets me alter my mouse buttons, and media keys on my keyboard, any gamepad I plug in and so on.

Note: I'm not doing pro-level work with this stuff, nor competitive gaming, so performance differences (if there is one) isn't important to me..also, most firmware flashing keyboards seem to be purely windows based (a number can be used on a mac, but the changes have to be done on windows).