Found an old graphics card, need drivers

MagneticEnder

I found this thing while looking for an old pc to maybe repurpose into a media server. If I do find that old pc, im thinking to put this graphics card into it. Does anyone have the drivers for it? I can't find them
The card is a Zotac GT218-ION
Thanks in advance to anyone that tries to help

0818191340.jpg

0818191343.jpg

Setup:

Intel i7-7700 @ 3.60 GHz

MSI GeForce GTX 1060 3GB

Kingston 110 GB SSD

WD Blue 1 TB HDD

16 GB DDR4 RAM

2x 1920x1080 60Hz displays

I also don't know where to plug in power from the PSU. I don't even know if it needs a direct connection to the PSU, help with that will also be appreciated

Setup:

Intel i7-7700 @ 3.60 GHz

MSI GeForce GTX 1060 3GB

Kingston 110 GB SSD

WD Blue 1 TB HDD

16 GB DDR4 RAM

2x 1920x1080 60Hz displays

2 minutes ago, MagneticEnder said:

I found this thing while looking for an old pc to maybe repurpose into a media server. If I do find that old pc, im thinking to put this graphics card into it. Does anyone have the drivers for it? I can't find them

0818191340.jpg

0818191343.jpg

You got some ancient super weak gpu there. It's an nvidia ION card which was basically made as a gpu for those terrible first gen intel atoms. As a display adapter it should work however.

https://www.geforce.com/drivers

Go here and instead of geforce choose ION.

41 minutes ago, MagneticEnder said:

0818191340.jpg

0818191343.jpg

Deviating from what you suggested, I think it'd be better to just buy a cheap card than to repurpose this one.

Setup No. 1: CPU: AMD Ryzen 2200g 3.95GHz GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Dual FTW w/ EVGA ACX Cooler MOBO: MSI B350 Tomahawk Gaming Motherboard RAM: KingSpec DDR4 8GB Single Channel @ 2866MHz PSU: CS Series Modular CS 650M - 650 Watt Power Supply 80+ Gold Efficiency CASE: EVGA DG-73 STORAGE: 240GB Inland SSD, 320GB 7200 RPM Western Digital Hard Drive COOLER: Cooler Master ML240L - 240mm Liquid AIO MONITORS1x Dell 1920 x 1080p 24" Widescreen 60Hz, 1x Dell 1920 x 1080p 22" 60Hz KEYBOARDCheap Inland USB Keyboard MOUSE2400DPI Anker Gaming Mouse RGB CHAIR: Ikea MARKUS Office Chair 

Setup No. 2: CPU: Intel i5-4950 GPU: Powercolor Red Devil RX 570 4GB VRAM MOBO: Asus B85 RAM: Ripjaws 8GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz Single Channel PSU: Insignia 450 Watt 80+ Efficiency Power Supply CASE: Thermaltake Versa N21 STORAGE: Samsung 860 EVO 240GB SSD COOLER: bequiet! Pure Rock Slim MONTIROS: 1x HP 24" 1680 x 1050p 60Hz KEYBOARD: Apple USB Keyboard MOUSE: Anywhere MX Logitech Mouse

14 minutes ago, Ciuwas said:

Deviating from what you suggested, I think it'd be better to just buy a cheap card than to repurpose this one.

If you put forth even the slightest amount of effort to read the OP, you'd have realized it's for a media server, which it would be fine for.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

1 hour ago, MagneticEnder said:

I believe GT218 was the chip used for the GT 210/GeForce 210/G210/310/etc. I would guess an ION variant is cut down in some way, but for a media server this card is more than enough. You may consider testing it out and listing it on eBay if it works. A true PCIe x1 card can get your some money there. Most of the true x1 GPUs are old NVS cards that are totally worthless as even 720p video cards. There are lots of "x1" GT 210s that are made with an x16 card and (no joke) a Dremel. They tend to last roughly 32 days, just long enough for eBay's guarantee period to lapse.

You can replace this card for $8-10 if you find an R5 240 OEM variant out there, or if you find an old PC with integrated or on-board graphics, you don't even need to replace this.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

1 hour ago, aisle9 said:

I believe GT218 was the chip used for the GT 210/GeForce 210/G210/310/etc. I would guess an ION variant is cut down in some way, but for a media server this card is more than enough. You may consider testing it out and listing it on eBay if it works. A true PCIe x1 card can get your some money there. Most of the true x1 GPUs are old NVS cards that are totally worthless as even 720p video cards. There are lots of "x1" GT 210s that are made with an x16 card and (no joke) a Dremel. They tend to last roughly 32 days, just long enough for eBay's guarantee period to lapse.

You can replace this card for $8-10 if you find an R5 240 OEM variant out there, or if you find an old PC with integrated or on-board graphics, you don't even need to replace this.

The GeForce 210 is a different chip compared to what OP has. From what I remember, the original Nvidia ION was a 9400GT-based GPU largely made for netbooks for video acceleration.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 hour ago, flibberdipper said:

If you put forth even the slightest amount of effort to read the OP, you'd have realized it's for a media server, which it would be fine for.

Oh I did, the card is just old imo and I would personally just take it behind the barn and shoot it

Setup No. 1: CPU: AMD Ryzen 2200g 3.95GHz GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Dual FTW w/ EVGA ACX Cooler MOBO: MSI B350 Tomahawk Gaming Motherboard RAM: KingSpec DDR4 8GB Single Channel @ 2866MHz PSU: CS Series Modular CS 650M - 650 Watt Power Supply 80+ Gold Efficiency CASE: EVGA DG-73 STORAGE: 240GB Inland SSD, 320GB 7200 RPM Western Digital Hard Drive COOLER: Cooler Master ML240L - 240mm Liquid AIO MONITORS1x Dell 1920 x 1080p 24" Widescreen 60Hz, 1x Dell 1920 x 1080p 22" 60Hz KEYBOARDCheap Inland USB Keyboard MOUSE2400DPI Anker Gaming Mouse RGB CHAIR: Ikea MARKUS Office Chair 

Setup No. 2: CPU: Intel i5-4950 GPU: Powercolor Red Devil RX 570 4GB VRAM MOBO: Asus B85 RAM: Ripjaws 8GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz Single Channel PSU: Insignia 450 Watt 80+ Efficiency Power Supply CASE: Thermaltake Versa N21 STORAGE: Samsung 860 EVO 240GB SSD COOLER: bequiet! Pure Rock Slim MONTIROS: 1x HP 24" 1680 x 1050p 60Hz KEYBOARD: Apple USB Keyboard MOUSE: Anywhere MX Logitech Mouse

4 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

The GeForce 210 is a different chip compared to what OP has. From what I remember, the original Nvidia ION was a 9400GT-based GPU largely made for netbooks for video acceleration.

Calling the ION a "GPU" is being really nice to it. I remember stumbling across some little Shuttle mini-PCs NIB a while back and seeing NVIDIA ION graphics plugged on the side with things like, "Now you can work in full 1080p HD!". It's like, I get it, but the ATI Radeon HD4200M graphics on my ancient Pentium 4 board can push 1080p in desktop use. How crap are the GMA graphics on your D525?! 

For some reason I thought the 9400 GT and GT 210 used more or less identical silicon. Regardless of what nameplate NVIDIA puts on it, I think we'd both agree that anything tied to the GT218 chip and its pre-die shrink fraternal twin that was used in low-end GPUs at the time absolutely blew donkey balls instantly upon release.

4 minutes ago, Ciuwas said:

Oh I did, the card is just old imo and I would personally just take it behind the barn and shoot it

Why shoot a horse that someone will buy from you?

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

Just now, aisle9 said:

Calling the ION a "GPU" is being really nice to it. I remember stumbling across some little Shuttle mini-PCs NIB a while back and seeing NVIDIA ION graphics plugged on the side with things like, "Now you can work in full 1080p HD!". It's like, I get it, but the ATI Radeon HD4200M graphics on my ancient Pentium 4 board can push 1080p in desktop use. How crap are the GMA graphics on your D525?! 

For some reason I thought the 9400 GT and GT 210 used more or less identical silicon. Regardless of what nameplate NVIDIA puts on it, I think we'd both agree that anything tied to the GT218 chip and its pre-die shrink fraternal twin that was used in low-end GPUs at the time absolutely blew donkey balls instantly upon release.

Why shoot a horse that someone will buy from you?

True. But I'd do it for memes.

3 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

From what I remember, its main selling point was that it could handle 1080p Blu-ray hardware encoding without any issue. Which, for a netbook, actually wasn't that bad. It also had quite a bit more grunt than the iGPUs of the day, which made it a little more appealing if you were rocking a dual-core Atom.

It's largely being pedantic nowadays, as even the integrated GPU from a Haswell Intel CPU can beat its ass, but it's still interesting.

10 minutes ago, Ciuwas said:

Pretty ignorant/idiotic thing to say. Who gives a fuck how old it is when it's going into a server. Not like you'll be daily driving one.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

5 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

From what I remember, its main selling point was that it could handle 1080p Blu-ray hardware encoding without any issue. Which, for a netbook, actually wasn't that bad. It also had quite a bit more grunt than the iGPUs of the day, which made it a little more appealing if you were rocking a dual-core Atom.

It's largely being pedantic nowadays, as even the integrated GPU from a Haswell Intel CPU can beat its ass, but it's still interesting.

I remember someone advertising it as a netbook graphics gaming solution. I'm not sure how well that marketing campaign worked out for them. I mean, DOS gaming, sure, but anything at the typical 1280x800 netbook resolution would have been a huge stretch. But yeah, for the most part I remember netbooks with ION being marketed as a means of stable 1080p video and everyday use.

If I weren't in the process of moving and selling/dumping as much of my computer stuff as possible, I'd be inspired to hit up yard sales next weekend, find an ION-powered netbook, give someone $5 for it, then bring it home and see what it can do.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

I remember someone advertising it as a netbook graphics gaming solution. I'm not sure how well that marketing campaign worked out for them. I mean, DOS gaming, sure, but anything at the typical 1280x800 netbook resolution would have been a huge stretch. But yeah, for the most part I remember netbooks with ION being marketed as a means of stable 1080p video and everyday use.

If I weren't in the process of moving and selling/dumping as much of my computer stuff as possible, I'd be inspired to hit up yard sales next weekend, find an ION-powered netbook, give someone $5 for it, then bring it home and see what it can do.

I've always wanted to get my hands on an Ion netbook. They've always intrigued me and I wonder what it could do nowadays.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I've always wanted to get my hands on an Ion netbook. They've always intrigued me and I wonder what it could do nowadays.

I've never had an ION netbook, just the Shuttle mini-PC. It was...underwhelming. Although maybe incredible. I mean, I guess it depends on your expectations. Does the NVIDIA name get your attention and raise your expectations, or do you understand that there's no way anything remotely close to even the GT 610 in performance would make its way into a netbook?

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

I've never had an ION netbook, just the Shuttle mini-PC. It was...underwhelming. Although maybe incredible. I mean, I guess it depends on your expectations. Does the NVIDIA name get your attention and raise your expectations, or do you understand that there's no way anything remotely close to even the GT 610 in performance would make its way into a netbook?

I understand that they're pretty fucking weak nowadays (the Haswell iGPU analogy above says that) but I've always just wondered what kind of grunt the Ion GPUs have even though they were pretty low end by 2009 standards.

19 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

Pretty ignorant/idiotic thing to say. Who gives a fuck how old it is when it's going into a server. Not like you'll be daily driving one.

My opinion. I said my opinion.

o·pin·ion
/əˈpinyən/

a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I understand that they're pretty fucking weak nowadays (the Haswell iGPU analogy above says that) but I've always just wondered what kind of grunt the Ion GPUs have even though they were pretty low end by 2009 standards.

Money where your mouth is?

Just kidding. Absolutely no reason to spend anywhere near that much on an Atom board in 2019.

Also, @MagneticEnder, just gonna leave this here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZOTAC-GeForce-GT-218-Nvidia-ION-PCIe-Graphic-Card-512MB-DVI-VGA-GT218IONGPU-A-E/232903826567?hash=item363a265c87:g:2wgAAOSwIFRbgM7Q

2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Money where your mouth is?

Just kidding. Absolutely no reason to spend anywhere near that much on an Atom board in 2019.

Also, @MagneticEnder, just gonna leave this here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZOTAC-GeForce-GT-218-Nvidia-ION-PCIe-Graphic-Card-512MB-DVI-VGA-GT218IONGPU-A-E/232903826567?hash=item363a265c87:g:2wgAAOSwIFRbgM7Q

I actually saw that and, I'll be honest: I can justify $34 on something just to dick around with. That being said it's not very high priority so I'll wait a little bit unless I can score a great deal on something.

I actually saw that and, I'll be honest: I can justify $34 on something just to dick around with. That being said it's not very high priority so I'll wait a little bit unless I can score a great deal on something.

Atom boards can get down pretty cheap if you're willing to stalk an auction. The hard part would be figuring out which ones have ION built in and which ones are GMA boards that can't hold 30 FPS on a blank screen.