What are secrets of your job?

Mooshi

Not secrets that break any NDA, but something about what you do that the general public isn't really aware of.

I work with a large US cellular company, let's call them "red check mark". At random, customers are sent a satisfaction survey via text about how we did blah blah blah. The thing is, these things are anything but transparent with the wording. Customers have no idea that any score below a 9 out of 10 is treated the same. That "8" you thought was good goes against us in the same way if you gave out a 1. It's the biggest insult you can give without realizing it. This ties to our bonuses which means what you felt was a good score only screws us out of bonuses in the hundreds.

Remember that next time you call in and liked the rep, but we're upset at something else. We can't control wait times, our queue is back to back. Failing us on that only helps the company not pay out while encouraging the cycle of turnover leaving that queue full.

Bonus: They're sending customer satisfaction surveys to non customers now which have the same bonus impacting weight as an actual customer. Let that madness sink in. Imagine going to Pizza Hut and them handing you a survey for Popeye's. Yes, this is real.

So... In fact, from what you tell, the problem is not the customer and the answer he gives the fake survey, but the company which uses the fake survey as a mean to deprive the employees of their bonuses...

I work for the gov't.

We waste money like it's going out of style. (big surprise I know)

What the gen public may not know, is that it's often done on purpose.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

48 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I work for the gov't.

No, we know that too unfortunately :(

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

4 minutes ago, jstudrawa said:

No, we know that too unfortunately :(

Ah. Okay, how about this one:

In the private sector, Bankruptcy is the level which the economy will no longer tolerate incompetence. This does not hold true for the gov't sector.

In other words, your pay, and the continued existence of the dept you work in, isn't linked to your performance or even your competence.  

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I'm an attorney, but I don't know if this is universally true or if it's just my area. Obviously, this is civil suits. Criminal law us quite different.

You know all that information and evidence you handed your lawyer? Yeah, your opponent's lawyer has that information now, too. People working within the same legal areas talk to one another and there's generally an interest in total information transparency within a given case. You're never going to present a smoking gun in the court room itself. Your opponents legal team has had ample time to prepare for everything.

Also, your lawyer and your opponents lawyer are probably going to go out for lunch and golf right after the case.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

*Whispers*: Pssst, I have free coffee in my workplace

system out println("Please don't drop it Linus!");

Setup:

Thinkpad W530 😕 

sus not cis

Some comic sans because why not

3 minutes ago, Megumin4317 said:

*Whispers*: Pssst, I have free choffee in my workplace

What's choffee?

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

4 minutes ago, jstudrawa said:

choffee

Coffee with a typoo ?‍♂️

Setup:

Thinkpad W530 😕 

sus not cis

Just now, Megumin4317 said:

Coffee with a typoo ?‍♂️

Oh :( hoping it was some cool chocolate coffee thing awesomeness :(

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

Other Tech:

Just now, jstudrawa said:

Oh :( hoping it was some cool chocolate coffee thing awesomeness :(

That would be awesome to have for free 

Setup:

Thinkpad W530 😕 

sus not cis

the mark up really surprised me. the list price of the sinks my company sells to normal people is on average 40% higher than what we sell to retailers and we make a good 20 or so % profit on sales to retailers

I work at a half-retail half-restaurant place and the items we tend to push at the register (for example, candies or sodas) are generally things that companies (or corporate) want us to push for that time of the year.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Ah. Okay, how about this one:

In the private sector, Bankruptcy is the level which the economy will no longer tolerate incompetence. This does not hold true for the gov't sector.

In other words, your pay, and the continued existence of the dept you work in, isn't linked to your performance or even your competence.  

There are a ton of private companies like this too. They go bust eventually, but they can limp along for a surprisingly long time.

I can see promos before they go live. Most of the time, they require a new line or unlimited data to qualify which makes them useless for most.

10 minutes ago, Monkey Dust said:

eventually

That's the key...eventually they all go under. This is not the case with the gov't. They keep getting an influx of cash regardless of "profitability"

Working at subway we saw gross prices of sandwiches. Like how much it usually costs to make one versus how much you pay for one. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

1 minute ago, veldora said:

Working at subway we saw gross prices of sandwiches. Like how much it usually costs to make one versus how much you pay for one. 

When you compare the cost of a customer paying for the sandwich vs the cost of making a sandwich do you also take into account the cost of purchasing or renting the store location, the cost of installing equipment in the kitchen and dining area, and the cost of paying you your salary?

yeah what would i know about cameras or cinematography compared to you tech people.  i've only done this work for nearly 20 years, won a few awards, worked in over a dozen different countries and a few multi million dollar projects

2 hours ago, Volbet said:

I'm an attorney, but I don't know if this is universally true or if it's just my area. Obviously, this is civil suits. Criminal law us quite different.

You know all that information and evidence you handed your lawyer? Yeah, your opponent's lawyer has that information now, too. People working within the same legal areas talk to one another and there's generally an interest in total information transparency within a given case. You're never going to present a smoking gun in the court room itself. Your opponents legal team has had ample time to prepare for everything.

Also, your lawyer and your opponents lawyer are probably going to go out for lunch and golf right after the case.

I thought this was a normal procedure where both prosecution and defense has access to details about the case and the evidence collected so that they can review and make sure neither side is doing anything improper.

yeah what would i know about cameras or cinematography compared to you tech people.  i've only done this work for nearly 20 years, won a few awards, worked in over a dozen different countries and a few multi million dollar projects

4 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

I work for the gov't.

Any political or government institution "waste" money because of the way they allocate budget and in many places if one office/department has extra money they can't transfer it to another office/department that may need the money.  They don't want to deal with the paperwork that is involved in redistributing the budget to where it may be more needed and that red tape exists to reduce corruption and funds being misappropriated.  Does it always work to keep things transparent and accountable?  NO it doesn't.  And at the end of the budget year if the money hasn't been spent (for example they didn't really need it this year) they will get less budget allocated the next year (and if that next year they really need to spend more money they may not be able to ask for more) so they have to or try to spend it all by the end of each budget year.  Unlike most businesses that depend on profits, sales, demand, etc. for surviving, political and government institutions don't have to worry whether they are getting their money's worth with whatever they do or how they function because basically they run the show (in some ways).

My work secret: because I work freelance, I get more work when the end of the budget year is closing in because then the clients who hire me do so in order to spend the money left in their budget.

10 hours ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

I thought this was a normal procedure where both prosecution and defense has access to details about the case and the evidence collected so that they can review and make sure neither side is doing anything improper.

It's absolutely proper procedure, but you would be surprised at how many clients I've had that don't know this. I've had people deliver documents to me under the guise of it becoming a huge surprise in the court. While it might be a surprise to the opponent, the lawyer will have known about it for months.

It usually comes up when I discuss cutting excess evidence from the case with my clients, since I will have discussed it with the other party first.

A lot of clients are also shocked when I act friendly with the other side's lawyers. I honestly blame all the court room drama shows.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

1 minute ago, Volbet said:

A lot of clients are also shocked when I act friendly with the other side's lawyers. I honestly blame all the court room drama shows.

There are a few good shows, but I agree,  Many court/crime drama shows do not portray the real world accurately.  Biggest example: CSI.