The newest windows update doesn't suck (entirely)

Handmeat
Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,

-- Thread lock. --

We have a thread for Windows Insider builds here:

Features in Insider program are not final, and can change at any time. In addition, Microsoft does A/B testing. As nothing is final, even announced features which can be removed or moved to the next version release, we don't talk about Insider builds on the Tech News section. It does nothing but create confusion.

You can discuss Insider builds of Windows 10 in the above thread.

Thank you.

If you, like me, are depraved enough to be on the insider fast track, you might have noticed that snipping tool is now being replaced by snip & sketch (unless you use shareX like every good nerd should). Microsoft has finally boarded the wagon headed for built in keyboard shortcut accessed screenshots! Windows key + Shift + S brings up a handy dandy screenshot tool with border detection etc and then automatically copies that screenshot to your clipboard.

Microsoft is also finally making it easier (or in some cases possible at all) to re-bind the built in keyboard shortcuts (you can make Ctrl + Space do nothing!).

Quick read: 

https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-build-18950-rolls-out-fast-ring-bringing-snip-sketch-improvements?amp

Unnecessary but apparently obligatory quote from windows central: "Key customization: We've improved the discoverability of key assignment settings. Also, based on feedback, we've updated the default assigned value of Ctrl + Space to be "None". Ctrl + Space can still be used for toggling IME-on/off by changing the value through its setting."

Full windows blog:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2019/07/31/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-18950/#4yVAlph14C1lkpgf.97

IDK, snip and sketch is far worse than the sniping tool IMO.

Instead of just being able to take a screenshot and then share it, now you need to 1)take a screenshot, 2)click on a notification about that screenshot, 3)Click on a tiny "copy" button.

The whole workflow feels much more sluggish, and aimed at grandmas, instead of being an actual tool.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

5 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Instead of just being able to take a screenshot and then share it, now you need to 1)take a screenshot, 2)click on a notification about that screenshot, 3)Click on a tiny "copy" button.

No you don't.. It's already in your clipboard when you take the screenshot.

I found Snip & Sketch so convenient I have set it as the default action of my 'Screenshot'-button. I just press it, select what I want to printscreen (or in the rare occasion I need to take a fullscreen I press that button) and boom, I can paste it (like on this forum). Or if I want to save it, I could open that notification and save it there.

Usually I don't use the 'Sketch'  feature or Snip & Sketch, but that can sometimes be helpful and I found this to be fairly quick to do via the notification (plus, I don't even use that tiny 'copy'-button, I just press Ctrl+C to copy that edited screenshot).

Snip & Sketch + the Clipboard feature in Windows has made my workflow on forums and Discord much quicker and more convenient.

I am all for hating on companies for change, but these changes are in my honest opinion very good. 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 minutes ago, Minibois said:

No you don't.. It's already in your clipboard when you take the screenshot.

I found Snip & Sketch so convenient I have set it as the default action of my 'Screenshot'-button. I just press it, select what I want to printscreen (or in the rare occasion I need to take a fullscreen I press that button) and boom, I can paste it (like on this forum). Or if I want to save it, I could open that notification and save it there.

Usually I don't use the 'Sketch'  feature or Snip & Sketch, but that can sometimes be helpful and I found this to be fairly quick to do via the notification (plus, I don't even use that tiny 'copy'-button, I just press Ctrl+C to copy that edited screenshot).

Snip & Sketch + the Clipboard feature in Windows has made my workflow on forums and Discord much quicker and more convenient.

I am all for hating on companies for change, but these changes are in my honest opinion very good. 

What if you want to take multiple screenshots and save them to your computer? 

Instead of snip+ctrl_s snip+ctrl_s , you now need to snip, click on notification, ctrl_S etc

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

12 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

What if you want to take multiple screenshots and save them to your computer? 

Instead of snip+ctrl_s snip+ctrl_s , you now need to snip, click on notification, ctrl_S etc

1). Open Snip and sketch

2). Click on new

3). Capture some area

4). Ctrl+S

5). Return to step 2 for another screenshot

Pretty sure this is the same workflow as Snipping Tool, right?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 hour ago, Handmeat said:

[...]Windows key + Shift + S brings up a handy dandy screenshot tool with border detection etc and then automatically copies that screenshot to your clipboard.[...]

Minus the border detection, that already exists and has for many years.  I noticed it got a lot more polished and featureful in 1903, with notifications in the action centre and options for doodling on it rather than just a straight copy in the background, under the assumption the user knows what just happened, but yeah, I've been doing it for a while now.

Edit: also, please ensure your post complies with the posting rules for this subforum:

Edited by Ryan_Vickers

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

19 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Minus the border detection, that already exists and has for many years.  I noticed it got a lot more polished and featureful in 1903, with notifications in the action centre and options for doodling on it rather than just a straight copy in the background, under the assumption the user knows what just happened, but yeah, I've been doing it for a while now.

Edit: also, please ensure your post complies with the posting rules for this subforum:

Doesn't matter cause once Goodbytes sees this it'll be assimilated into the Windows insider thread anyway.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, Tataffe said:

Greenshot all the way

This^

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

Can this Win+Shift+S somehow be made to save the captured image to a file automatically, instead of having to pop it out of the clipboard and so on? It just automatically storing the image to a file would be useful, it'd save a bunch of redundant steps -- especially if you're doing what I am doing, ie. where you need to capture a long series of pictures.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

14 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Can this Win+Shift+S somehow be made to save the captured image to a file automatically, instead of having to pop it out of the clipboard and so on? It just automatically storing the image to a file would be useful, it'd save a bunch of redundant steps -- especially if you're doing what I am doing, ie. where you need to capture a long series of pictures.

I know Win + PrintScreen saves the whole image immediately without involving the clipboard, but it saves the whole display, not just a selection.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I know Win + PrintScreen saves the whole image immediately without involving the clipboard, but it saves the whole display, not just a selection.

Yeah, that's why I asked; I have to go and edit the captures, if I use that, and thus that's an even worse option. I'd really, really like to be able to just capture specific window and have it saved into a file without any extra steps involved. Perhaps someone on the insider-track could suggest that an option for them to implement?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Yeah, that's why I asked; I have to go and edit the captures, if I use that, and thus that's an even worse option. I'd really, really like to be able to just capture specific window and have it saved into a file without any extra steps involved. Perhaps someone on the insider-track could suggest that an option for them to implement?

They really should and it's kind of amazing that they don't have it yet.  All they'd have to do is add to the current system one line of code that also saves the image to a file.

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

They really should and it's kind of amazing that they don't have it yet.  All they'd have to do is add to the current system one line of code that also saves the image to a file.

Interestingly they added the ability to save directly to OneDrive a few updates ago, that seems like WAAAAAY more work than a "save to file" option.

I know very little about coding but even I could Google how to open a file save dialog box in C# in a few minutes.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Cool and all, but yeah some things should've been unified by now as far as UI and better UX workflow. Good they improved things, would be good to see some finished more rather than partially for X update. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I take screen shots by hitting print screen, opening paint and cropping the section I want... takes a few seconds.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

3 hours ago, Handmeat said:

unless you use shareX like every good nerd should

+1 for ShareX. Best screenshotter around.

New-ItemProperty -Path "HKCU:\Control Panel\Keyboard" -Name PrintScreenKeyForSnippingEnabled -Value 1 -Force

Or you can use this powershell command, and it will map the Print Screen button to open up the new Snipping tool.

6 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I added an obligatory quote but I feel like my summation of the article is representative enough of the referenced content not to need one. Am I missing anything else?

1 minute ago, Handmeat said:

I'm sorry, but greenshot is hot garbage compared to ShareX.

I'm sorry, but sharex is hot garbage compared to Greenshot.

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

I'm not too happy about this. As it was I was really happy using the built-in Win+Shift+S and Alt+PrtScrn hotkeys for screenshot to clipboard and highly preferred it over ShareX due to it just being an integrated feature. Now this... The tool was fine and though snip and sketch was the occasional handy tool it sure as hell wasn't something I used every day, especially not when I'm used to a hotkey-drag screenshot solution that Windows already has. I'm going to dual-boot an Insider Build to check this out, I hope it doesn't suck :/

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

17 minutes ago, RuffRuffmcgruff said:

I'm sorry, but sharex is hot garbage compared to Greenshot.

Alright, State your case, I'm listening....

2 minutes ago, Handmeat said:

image.png.f624252343549831f920656e8dca8080.png

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

8 minutes ago, Handmeat said:

i press prntscreen and it does a prntscreen so i can copy and then paste that prntscreen if i needed to copy and paste a prntscreen