20+ hours of continuous rendering (Cinema4D) on Ryzen 2700X (are constant high temps harmful?)

Go to solution Solved by ashinu77,

Thank you so much everybody. It really helps. I'm a bit calm now haha, since I didn't wanna be under that constant worry that my new CPU is being killed everyday. But as a few of you mentioned, down the line over the next couple of months or so I might invest in a better CPU cooler like the BeQuiet Dark Rock series or one of the triple fan liquid cooling ones (Jayztwocents once showed that single and dual fan radiators sometimes don't make much of a difference if we're really going down the liquid cooling route).

Thank you once again to everybody who responded! I really appreciate it :)

PS: if you're curious what the render was all about, I've attached a video. That's the final result of it all :D

Hello everyone,

This is my first post ever after joining the LTT forum community :) and I need your help since I couldn't find any concrete answers anywhere else.

Last month I brought a budget PC for myself with the following configuration:

CPU: Ryzen 2700X (on stock prism cooler, with an aggressive fan curve)

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2060 (Aorus Gigabyte twin fan version)

RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz (clocked to 3000Mhz)

MoBo: Aorus B450 Pro Wifi (ATX)

1 x 256GB Aorus RGB M.2 Nvme SSD

1 x 250GB WD Green SATA SSD

1 x 1TB 5400rpm Laptop hard drive (that I salvaged from the potato laptop I owned before this build)

1 x 2TB 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda HDD

Cooling solutions: I have 3 Antec case fans I bought and 1 corsair fan that came with the case. It's a Corsair 175R. Config is as follows: Two Antec fans at the front blast inwards, top Antec fan blow it up and out, and rear fan is also out.

I live in Mumbai, India, with my room's ambient temperatures always siting around 26-29 degrees (yea I know).

I'm an avid AAA title gamer and also a productive person with my work needing me to fire up softwares such as Adobe After Effects, Premiere Pro, FL Studio, Keyshot, Cinema4D.

The idle temps of my build is around 42-43 degrees.

Here's my problem: Sometimes, I have renders that take more than 20+ hours and my temperatures sit at 70-72 degrees for the whole duration. My question is - is that alright? Or will that trouble me in a huge way in the future? I do think about liquid cooling but right now, after buying this PC, my girlfriend will kill me if I invest any more money into a computer :P I have already taken the front panel out and that helps a lot with the cooling as it was around 76 - 80 degrees with the front panel attached.

Also, for those few who need more technical details, please find some screenshots attached. As for the overclocking bit - I've left it to the motherboard to do it on auto for me; so on lower temps I get a nice 4.25Ghz on all cores (at least that's what it shows on Ryzen Master).

Another last note - any game I play doesn't get the CPU this high, it sits comfortably around 55 - 59 degrees. I've played SOTTR, Far Cry 5, New Dawn, AC Origins and Odyssey, etc. So no problem gaming and I game only for 3 - 4 hours daily on an average.

So please help me guys - is a 70 degrees on a Ryzen 2700X continuous for more than 20+ hours harmful?

Screenshot (40).png

Screenshot (41).png

Screenshot (42).png

70c is fine. nothing wrong with that for rendering. 

85+ is when its not safe for longer periods

1 minute ago, Saksham said:

70c is fine. nothing wrong with that for rendering. 

85+ is when its not safe for longer periods

Oh really? I see. But is that so even if it's 70c continuous for 20+ hours?

I wouldn't say so. Of course lower temps are better for hardware longevity but 70c is really not that bad considering many stock thermal solutions for cpus allow much higher temps than this and the chips are still backed by warranty. 

Quote or tag me @Lemtea so I can see your reply. 

PSU Tier List

DAYBREAK: R5 5600X | SAPPHIRE PULSE RX 6700XT | 32GB RAM | 1TB 970 EVO PLUSCRUCIAL MX200 1TB SSD | 4TB HDD | CORSAIR TX650M | PURE BASE 500DX | Win 10
FIRESTARTER: I5 760 @ 4.0GHZ | XFX R9 280X DD | 8GB RAM | CRUCIAL MX500 250GB SSD | OCZ ZX 1000W | CM 690 IIIWin 10
KEYBOARD & MOUSE | CORSAIR STRAFE RGB (MX RED) | GLORIOUS MODEL D | STEELSERIES QCK XXL
LAPTOP: DELL XPS 15 9570 i7 8750H | GTX 1050TI MAX Q | 16GB RAM | 500GB PCIE SSD | 4K TOUCHSCREEN Win 10 PRO

It's a bit on the warm side, if I were you I would buy a good AIO or an air cooler that can keep the thing under 60 celsius. 70 celsius won't hurt it too mutch but it can shorten it's lifespan.

system out println("Please don't drop it Linus!");

Setup:

Thinkpad W530 😕 

sus not cis

Some comic sans because why not

70 degrees is fine.

It's not a MacBook where when you render for 10 minutes the GPU desolders from the board after running at 110°C.

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

I get those temps when i render for a few days too. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

5 hours ago, Pohernori said:

I get those temps when i render for a few days too. 

do u render spacex starship simulations or what lol

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

Heat has kind of always been a debate with electronic parts. Some will say what wears them out faster is heating up, cooling down and heating up again. This is why some people don't shut their computers off. As long as it is in a safe range it really shouldn't hurt it it. I just uses more electricity.

You can wear out a display though, they have a finite life span before they start to get dim. Same with SSD's I think, they can only handle so many writes I think before they start to fail, but with most it is so high you won't hit it before you end up replacing it with something better anyway.

Oh, and when I worked at a computer store back in the 90's if we had a big customer like a business or a school or something we would actually burn the systems in for at least 24 hours before we even delivered them just to make sure there were not any issues. So no, I don't think a 20 hour workload is going to hurt anything, especially at those temps. It isn't going to help the ambient temp of your room though lol.

8 hours ago, thicc_boi said:

do u render spacex starship simulations or what lol

Well unfortunately no :/

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Thank you so much everybody. It really helps. I'm a bit calm now haha, since I didn't wanna be under that constant worry that my new CPU is being killed everyday. But as a few of you mentioned, down the line over the next couple of months or so I might invest in a better CPU cooler like the BeQuiet Dark Rock series or one of the triple fan liquid cooling ones (Jayztwocents once showed that single and dual fan radiators sometimes don't make much of a difference if we're really going down the liquid cooling route).

Thank you once again to everybody who responded! I really appreciate it :)

PS: if you're curious what the render was all about, I've attached a video. That's the final result of it all :D