Teenager tweets from smart fridge after mother confiscates her phone

Go to solution Solved by LAwLz,

Probably fake.

If you use the Twitter API you can change the "tweeted from" to anything you want.

Dorothy is a troll who has claimed to be a black, trans, lesbian, Muslim, among other things. She have also been caught having multiple accounts, claiming to have been multiple ages, have sent fake harassment stuff from one of her accounts to another one of her accounts, and so on.

Read this thread for more info:

Wanna make your own tweet from your "my mom's GUCCI vibrator"?
Follow the instructions here:

Spoiler

Register a new Twitter app here: Create an app.

Remember to name your app something funny!

Write down your API keys and access tokens. Make sure you gave them read and write permissions!

Here is a simple Python script I found on GitHub, which is even called "tweet from fridge".

#!/usr/bin/env python
import sys, os, time
import tweepy
keys = dict(
consumer_key='_YOUR_CONSUMER_KEY',
consumer_secret='_YOUR_SECRET_KEY',
access_token='_YOUR_ACCESS_TOKEN', 
access_token_secret='_YOUR_ACCESS_TOKEN_SECRET'
)

user = "@YOUR_USERNAME"

auth = tweepy.OAuthHandler(keys['consumer_key'], keys['consumer_secret'])
auth.set_access_token(keys['access_token'], keys['access_token_secret'])
api = tweepy.API(auth)

def tweet():
	message=input("tweet: ")
	api.update_status(message)
	time.sleep(1000)
if __name__ == "__main__":
	while 1:
		tweet()

Change the key and token fields to match your personal ones. Do this in the 4 lines near the top only.

Install Tweepy and then run the script.

Message added by vanished

I've pinned an important post in the interest of getting the full and accurate story

8 minutes ago, greenhorn said:

kids nowadays are dependent on electronic devices to such a degree that a subset of them would actually do something really stupid

Only if you let them. My kids will only have grandma phones until they are old enough to get their own through their own money....

depending on how their school operates some children just cannot work without some electronic devices

Not a problem here. Plus i can always setup a white listing firewall if need be.... Top it off with the right app i can lock down the settings menu so no rouge connections.

if you know what to look for

Simplest solution: antenna hidden in her room with a few filters to only react to signals used by phones and only if its above a pretty high threshold. As soon as the kid turns on the phone its over. (Im also an electronic hobbyist so it wouldnt be that hard for me to make such device.)

1 minute ago, jagdtigger said:

Plus i can always setup a white listing firewall if need be.... Top it off with the right app i can lock down the settings menu so no rouge connections.

Simplest solution: antenna hidden in her room with a few filters to only react to signals used by phones and only if its above a pretty high threshold. As soon as the kid turns on the phone its over.

Installing such a firewall will be beyond the capabilities of many parents. Techies can do it, other not so easily (unless there is some piece of software out there that requires little tech knowledge to operate).

The hidden antenna idea is nice, I would even consider adding a small amplifier and a blinking light or something annoying (just kidding, that could probably be considered to be a form of torture). The problem is that this antenna can be detected and rendered ineffective by smart kids (I think that I would have detected such a thing when I was a kid).

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

I just had a look, and a few of the fridges in LG's smart ThinQ (ugh) lineup has chrome ( •_(\

https://www.lg.com/us/support/video-tutorials/connecting-to-wifi-and-smartthinq-app-lg-instaview-refrigerator-CT00023125-20150599087869

so yeah i guess signing in to twitter isn't that hard 

EDIT: also, like, this is kinda less "news" for us and more "news" to parents to parenting their IT stuff about ._. nothing against OP here because I'd wager there'd be parents here figuring stuff out too 

It wouldn't show up as "sent from smartfridge" if you used the browser. It would show up as "Twitter Web Client" or "Twitter Web app". I have linked to examples of each.

It would only show up as "smart fridge" if there was a specific program written to identify as "LG smart refrigerator" and that directly hooked up into the twitter APIs. Which is to say, a twitter app for the fridge, or a fake app.

Twitter does not read the device info when making a tweet. What shows up in the client information is directly tied to the token generated when registering an app for development (like I outlined earlier).

This story is entirely fabricated. Even the DS post is fake, because that would also register as the twitter web client if you posted from the regular browser. It would only register as being sent from a Nintendo DS if the application itself (not a browser mind you) used the token registered at Twitter as being tied to a program called "Nintendo DS", and that does not exist on the DS (unless she modded it and sideloaded a home-brew client, but to do that she would need a computer).

The Wii U one is real though, because that actually has a real app which hooks into the Twitter APIs in a legitimate and possible way.

The TL;DR is this:

Look into how the Twitter API works and you will realize this story is entire fabricated by a person who has been caught trolling in the past.

Okay.  If we assume this is real, then the question I have is why is twitter & LG supporting undermining a parents efforts to discipline their child by retweeting?  For F#$% sakes, she set FIRE to the god damn house!  Lucky she's not black and blue all over for it.

I can understand twitter people being this stupid(cause they don't or can't have children of their own), but LG?  Really?  I guess they think the pre-teen market is chalk full of appliance purchasers so they can throw the parents under the bus.  Upper management at LG will probably take their belt to their twitter handlers and show them what disciplining is all about when they catch wind of this.

16 minutes ago, greenhorn said:

he problem is that this antenna can be detected and rendered ineffective by smart kids

Not if you hide it well. Someting innocent like their stereo, alarm clock, etc... ;)

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

EDIT: also, like, this is kinda less "news" for us and more "news" to parents to parenting their IT stuff about ._. nothing against OP here because I'd wager there'd be parents here figuring stuff out too

No pb ^o^'    I'm perfectly aware. Not learning anything here. Except maybe that I'll need to put my nose into Twitter... AS if I didn't had enough already with the rest of social media :-S

I'm sure that there are quite a few people who will learn a few things ?

I still remember when 10 years ago I was shopping for a new TV and almost all I could find were Smart TV with voice activated commands... Rings some memories back? I didn't want one unless there was a physical swith off, there wasn't one, of course. All the vendors were telling me that it was the future, it was secured, you could switch it off with the remote, etc.

I insisted... Finally 2 year ago ? News that Samsung and others were listening to their customers with them unaware for "research purpose".

Yeah! Right!

So... Nah! If I can't control it, physically, it's not entering my home.

I don't need my oven or my "smart hoover" to connect on the internet and share information that the builder has nothing to do with.

An image a like to give : Are you going to keep your home's door wide open for everyone to come and have a look in while you live your daily life? No... So why share it through the "smart" thingies and IoT?

Bigger question is why is this news. This has been a meme for years

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

28 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

all I could find were Smart TV

Same dilemma here when my old FHD died and started to look for a replacement( i settled for a 4k one after i seen that there is no dumb TV's anymore). Took the plunge and at the same time i ordered a pcengines apu3c4 board as a temporary pfsense router. Both the wifi and lan adapter of the tv has fixed address allocations and fixed entry's in the arp table. Meaning even if they try anything funny it still wont be able to connect anything outside the LAN....

Edited by jagdtigger

2 hours ago, VegetableStu said:
  1. Fire bad.
  2. don't split your attention for a dangerous or irreversible task
  3. Fire bad.

Fire washes the skin off the bone, and the sin off the soul.

The gene pool gets some free pruning as well.

35 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

We need to talk about that one night.

I'm not a parent okay! Wait.. how do you know?!

Spoiler

Obligatory /s

6 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

I talked to Odin and he claims you're the mother of an eight legged mac, monster.

Don't call my baby a monster!

I'm gonna have a talk with Odin when this is all done, this is unacceptable, how are you gonna call me a mother when I'm a man!

2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

You can thank Loki for that one. 

See the source image
I can call your baby a monster when this is the father.

Loki is gonna regret it.

Also, please don't post my selfie online. UNACCEPTABLE. 

4 hours ago, Princess Luna said:

Confiscates phone for disciplinary reasons...... leaves Nintendo DS and Nintendo Wii free to use.

Not really. It was their specific use case. Nintendos were kinda out of that (with the exception of sneaking a web browser on them I guess). Shows some restraint and balance from the parents.

[edit]

Or it can be fake. Lol.

6 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Hey, that's the dad.  He did to you what he did to Thor.

- snip -

At least I looked gorgeous...

Thor was furious for a damn long time because of it, he just tried to hide it when that pic was taken.

I wished I had a smart fridge.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Causing a stove top fire while cooking because you weren't paying attention isn't a small thing. Most people don't even know how to put out a fire properly, never mind a grease/oil fire. Taking away her electronics wouldn't be the only answer, she needs to learn to be exposed to the real world sooner than later.

This is hardly noteworthy. This kind of prank has been a thing for years.

I guess the idea of it being a smart device is funnier though.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

this isn't news nor is this surprising.

this was going to happen...

it was just a matter of when...

also the obligatory joke ending in the roblox oof meme:

the mother when her ban failed:

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

So basically there is nothing new in the internet,  its still mostly people just lying about things and trolling.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Well... I'm still waiting for the official "it's all a liiiiiiiiiieeeee !!!"

A tweet with a few screenshots doesn't a proof make!

atm I don't say "it's true" or "it's a liiiiieeeee!". I just don't know.

But either way, reward should be the same: a good spank on the bottom. Whatever the age! ?

And... IF it's a lie... Man... some newspapers will be embarrassed!!!   ?

On 8/14/2019 at 11:43 PM, Princess Luna said:

Confiscates phone for disciplinary reasons...... leaves Nintendo DS and Nintendo Wii free to use.

Nintendont do that