Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello everyone I'm Founder and CEO of Benjamin Curtis Kelly LLC.  A small Graphic Design and Marketing business in the USA we just purchased a Dell Power Edge R710 and are trying to get it up and running we could definitely use some assistance we are trying to get FreeNas loaded and operating but first we need to figure out what drives to stick in the server its 2.5 bay we want solid state if we can but we could really use the help we emailed Linus Media Group and are awaiting a response if someone can help us sooner that would be great.

Joel Ward 

Founder & CEO 

Benjamin Curtis Kelly LLC.

20190809_145251.jpg

23 minutes ago, CEOJoelWard said:

great

You are not really asking any questions here....

what is it you need to know?

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

You are not really asking any questions here....

what is it you need to know?

What I want to know is what types of hard drives are best for the Dell Power Edge R710 and whats the best way to set up FreeNas to store local files 

55 minutes ago, CEOJoelWard said:

What I want to know is what types of hard drives are best for the Dell Power Edge R710 and whats the best way to set up FreeNas to store local files 

FreeNAS doesn't really play well with RAID (only) cards.  The R710 will either come with the H200 or H700 RAID controller by default, these do not run in HBA mode (the non integrated H200 can be firmware flashed to do so)

With that in mind, you will need to find out which of the two cards you are using.  I wouldn't personally recommend using FreeNAS with a RAID card as it uses ZFS and ZFS does not play well with RAID it will be expecting pass-through ATA/AHCI instead.

It would probably be smarter to advise us on what you want to do with the unit and we can suggest some hardware to suit.  FreeNAS in my opinion in is quite poor, I certainly wouldn't be looking to run business critical data on it.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

1 hour ago, CEOJoelWard said:

Any hard drives will work. SSDs if you can afford them. Check the owner's manual for max supported size

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

3 minutes ago, Falconevo said:

FreeNAS doesn't really play well with RAID (only) cards.  The R710 will either come with the H200 or H700 RAID controller by default, these do not run in HBA mode (the non integrated H200 can be firmware flashed to do so)

With that in mind, you will need to find out which of the two cards you are using.  I wouldn't personally recommend using FreeNAS with a RAID card as it uses ZFS and ZFS does not play well with RAID it will be expecting pass-through ATA/AHCI instead.

It would probably be smarter to advise us on what you want to do with the unit and we can suggest some hardware to suit.  FreeNAS in my opinion in is quite poor, I certainly wouldn't be looking to run business critical data on it.

We are looking to use it as a local Storage device and what about UNDRAID

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Any hard drives will work. SSDs if you can afford them. Check the owner's manual for max supported size

Thank you we want to try and use SSD because they are better in my oppion

Just now, CEOJoelWard said:

We are looking to use it as a local Storage device and what about UNDRAID

I'm going to assume you mean network attached storage if you were planning on using FreeNAS.  The clue is in the name, FreeNetworkAttachedStorage.

Can you be a little less vague on what your requirements are, none of us can magic up things out of thin air with out specifics of what you want to do.

Answer these for me, it will be helpful to progress further;

1.  Do you require access to the content remotely from multiple devices?

2.  What devices are you currently running that will require access to the storage, Windows, MacOSX, Linux?

3.  What is the total capacity you require?

4.  How would you like the content displayed on the 'client' devices?

5.  What kind of network capacity do you have connected to the R710?

1 minute ago, Falconevo said:

I'm going to assume you mean network attached storage if you were planning on using FreeNAS.  The clue is in the name, FreeNetworkAttachedStorage.

Can you be a little less vague on what your requirements are, none of us can magic up things out of thin air with out specifics of what you want to do.

Answer these for me, it will be helpful to progress further;

1.  Do you require access to the content remotely from multiple devices?

2.  What devices are you currently running that will require access to the storage, Windows, MacOSX, Linux?

3.  What is the total capacity you require?

4.  How would you like the content displayed on the 'client' devices?

5.  What kind of network capacity do you have connected to the R710?

Windows 10 

yes we require remote access on at least 10 devices

at least 10 TB

as far as network goes we have it connected to a 500 gb Comcast Business line 

and I am a little lost on what you mean on how we would like it displayed 

Just now, CEOJoelWard said:

Windows 10 

yes we require remote access on at least 10 devices

at least 10 TB

as far as network goes we have it connected to a 500 gb Comcast Business line 

and I am a little lost on what you mean on how we would like it displayed 

Would you like it simply displayed as a network share on the Windows 10 devices?

Just now, Falconevo said:

Would you like it simply displayed as a network share on the Windows 10 devices?

Yes that would be the Ideal way 

12 minutes ago, CEOJoelWard said:

Yes that would be the Ideal way 

FreeNAS is not really for you then.  I would recommend the following just taking an educated guess on TBW requirements, expected performance and redundancy, this is based off you wanting SSDs and assuming you have a H700 RAID controller *SO PLEASE CHECK THIS FIRST*;

• Purchase 8x 2TB Samsung 860 Pro's *this assumes your R710 has 8x 2.5" bays as your picture does not clarify* (these are not Dell certified SSD's but I can give you certainty they work perfectly in Dell Chassis as I have run over 5,000 of them in production)
  • Configure the 8x Samsung 860 Pro's in RAID6 (enable write caching but disable read caching) This will give 12TB RAW and approx 11.4TB formatted
  • Install Windows Server 2016 or above
  • Configure your network, setup a static IP outside of your DHCP pool ideally and use network teaming and/or LACP if your switching supports it
  • Configure Windows Server as a File Server
  • Configure Folders as network shares
  • If you don't already have a Windows Domain you can setup local users for granular permissions for each user
  • Map drives from Windows 10 machines using '\\SERVERNAME\SHARENAME' and their appropriate user credentials

If you have a Windows domain already, it would be much simpler but FreeNAS doesn't sound like the product for you.  A simple file share using SMB via Windows Server would be better suited.

1 minute ago, Falconevo said:

FreeNAS is not really for you then.  I would recommend the following just taking an educated guess on TBW requirements, expected performance and redundancy, this is based off you wanting SSDs and assuming you have a H700 RAID controller *SO PLEASE CHECK THIS FIRST*;

• Purchase 8x 2TB Samsung 860 Pro's (these are not Dell certified SSD's but I can give you certainty they work perfectly in Dell Chassis as I have run over 5,000 of them in production)
  • Configure the 8x Samsung 860 Pro's in RAID6 (enable write caching but disable read caching) This will give 12TB RAW and approx 11.4TB formatted
  • Install Windows Server 2016 or above
  • Configure your network, setup a static IP outside of your DHCP pool ideally and use network teaming and/or LACP if your switching supports it
  • Configure Windows Server as a File Server
  • Configure Folders as network shares
  • If you don't already have a Windows Domain you can setup local users for granular permissions for each user
  • Map drives from Windows 10 machines using '\\SERVERNAME\SHARENAME' and their appropriate user credentials

If you have a Windows domain already, it would be much simpler but FreeNAS doesn't sound like the product for you.  A simple file share using SMB via Windows Server would be better suited.

Thank you so much for your assistance in this matter and helping us figure out what software is best for us if I require further service when the process is in motion I wont hesitate to message you again 

11 hours ago, Falconevo said:

They also ship with the PERC6i but that is also a RAID card that cannot be flashed to IT mode

12 hours ago, CEOJoelWard said:

You can easily purchase a pre-flashed LSI card for cheap I personally don't think you would benefit from SSD's to where it would make sense

My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

Just another server: OS Proxmox VE / Dell poweredge R410

2 hours ago, mrbilky said:

You can easily purchase a pre-flashed LSI card for cheap I personally don't think you would benefit from SSD's to where it would make sense

I agree. I doubt they will see any benefit to the SSDs with their use case. Mechanical storage will easily saturate the network link most likely, as I'm assuming it is a standard gigabit controller/switch. If you wanted to save a good amount of money and get more capacity, throw in some bigger mechanical drives.