Recommendations for editing photo and video in Linux

Musty

I'm looking for recommendations for editing software.

I shoot in RAW and have been enjoying RAWTherapee for that, but am open to other suggestions.

I have just bought my first camera with video capabilities (a budget option, A6000).

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a video format for shooting (I had been advised XAVC-S might be a good option).

In the past I have used lightworks in Windows for basic video editing, but again I'm open to suggestions.

11 hours ago, MustyStag said:

I'm looking for recommendations for editing software.

I shoot in RAW and have been enjoying RAWTherapee for that, but am open to other suggestions.

I have just bought my first camera with video capabilities (a budget option, A6000).

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a video format for shooting (I had been advised XAVC-S might be a good option).

In the past I have used lightworks in Windows for basic video editing, but again I'm open to suggestions.

I can't help with software for linux mayube try davinci resolve for video editing in Linux. there is version for it.  Photo editing I don't know which software is available for linux.

for question about video filming codec if your sony A6000 supports XAVC-S as the best codec then you likely want to use it when you need it.  but also you should use proxy files during edit because it is a long GOP interframe codec that is compressed so if you do not have a powerful computer you can face performance issues when the computer has to spend processing time to decode the footage.  if you do not need the advantages that XAVC-S offers over the other internal codecs like H264/MP4 or AVCHD don't use it.  you should also try to see if you should film in other picture profiles in the camera since the in consumer cameras like the A6000 Sony labels them picture profiles instead of gamma or color space to define if the camera is using Rec709, SLOG2, SLOG3, HyperGamma or other.  But when using these other profiles i recommend you use an external monitor that can load LUTs.

you can do a search on google for XAVC-S vs AVCHD vs MP4 and about what benefits are offered by S-LOG vs HyperGamma vs Rec709 or standard color spaces.  sometimes using the "best" features the camera can do can be overkill for what you need and may consume more of your time to get to the final product you want.  and sometimes using those best features may require extra accessories to do the work done properly.

yeah what would i know about cameras or cinematography compared to you tech people.  i've only done this work for nearly 20 years, won a few awards, worked in over a dozen different countries and a few multi million dollar projects

Thanks for the advice @LaFemmeEnVert

I'm not working with the most powerful computer at home unfortunately (and wouldn't be able to use my work computer for this) so that trade off might end up being an important one. 

I'll check out some videos on the subject and see what I think. I'll test out davinci resolve as a starting point and shoot some test footage using different codecs and colour spaces to see what works well on my system. 

Its true that "best" is probably overkill for my very amateurish efforts!

Thanks again!

8 minutes ago, MustyStag said:

Thanks for the advice @LaFemmeEnVert

I'm not working with the most powerful computer at home unfortunately (and wouldn't be able to use my work computer for this) so that trade off might end up being an important one. 

I'll check out some videos on the subject and see what I think. I'll test out davinci resolve as a starting point and shoot some test footage using different codecs and colour spaces to see what works well on my system. 

Its true that "best" is probably overkill for my very amateurish efforts!

Thanks again!

for video in your camera the A6000 filming in MP4 format with picture profile 1 which I think is by default Rec709 is the simplest choice for getting a final product quickly with minimum concern about issues like having to color correct or grade and waiting for computer to finish producing proxy files.  talk to other sony camera users and video editors you can find on facebook groups, forums, chat rooms, to discuss when is a good idea to use other profiles that use gamma like S-Log or Hypergamma.  there are conditions and environments when it is better suited for their use and conditions when using them offers no true benefit other than adding more work to do

yeah what would i know about cameras or cinematography compared to you tech people.  i've only done this work for nearly 20 years, won a few awards, worked in over a dozen different countries and a few multi million dollar projects