Ryzen 5 3600 high idle temps

I don't think this is what the idle should be, I'm cooling this with a 240mm AIO (Kraken x52).

see attached..

idle.PNG

Ryzen  5 3600 | ASUS Strix B450i Strix | G-Skill Trident Z RGB 16gb 3200mhz

Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super OC | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500gb | NZXT H200i | NZXT x52 | Corsair RM650x

The early days of Ryzen have shown to be victim to sporadic changes in voltage, idle temps seem to be high this generation. A BIOS update down the line for some optimization would do you good.

Also idle temps are meaningless, if your load temps are below thermal throttle territory you're good

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Yep, its just the idle, load temps doesn't go beyond 65c.

Thanks

Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super OC | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500gb | NZXT H200i | NZXT x52 | Corsair RM650x

Open Control Panel then Power Options, set the High Performance plan then click Change Plan Settings > Advanced Settings, open Processor Power Management, set Minimum Performance to 1% and Maximum Performance to 100%.

This will allow your CPU to reduce voltage during idle periods and will help reduce idle temps a little bit. The problem is voltage is sitting at 1.4v constantly, even when the chip is doing nothing.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

33 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Open Control Panel then Power Options, set the High Performance plan then click Change Plan Settings > Advanced Settings, open Processor Power Management, set Minimum Performance to 1% and Maximum Performance to 100%.

This will allow your CPU to reduce voltage during idle periods and will help reduce idle temps a little bit. The problem is voltage is sitting at 1.4v constantly, even when the chip is doing nothing.

Doesn't amd recommend against this in their detailed brief? Post 9 

And on a myth-busting note: users should not try to set a maximum processor state of 99% in a custom power plan. This disables boost by locking the processor to the base clock.  

Their detailed brief seems to address a lot of people's concern with voltage, frequency and temperatures I've read. 

6 minutes ago, Te5lac0il said:

Doesn't amd recommend against this in their detailed brief? Post 9 

Their detailed brief seems to address a lot of people's concern with voltage, frequency and temperatures I've read. 

They do but simply put, their fix does nothing. Also I didn't recommend 99%, I said 100% Max and 1% Min.

The method I posted is the only way I know of that stops the chip from being overvolted on a permanent basis.

Ftr I've been running that fix alongside a -0.1v offset in BIOS for over 2 weeks on my 3800X and I've had zero issues, CPU sleeps properly, voltages drop during sleep and temps are lower all around.

I'm still waiting on Asus to release AGESA 1.0.0.3ABB for my board.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

According to what that says you are running at 4100 mhz at 1.43 volts and a fan speed of 500 rpm. 60c sounds about right to me. Is it overclocked? 4100 mhz and 1.43 volts isn't normal idle for a 3600. The first thing I would try is turning off whatever that is your using to monitor it and check the task manager to make sure it isn't still running. Then open cpuz again and see if your voltages are still that high at idle. Should be under or around 1 volt.

Then I would look at your fan curves and see why your fans are only spinning at 500 rpm at 60c.

16 minutes ago, paulmohr said:

According to what that says you are running at 4100 mhz at 1.43 volts and a fan speed of 500 rpm. 60c sounds about right to me. Is it overclocked? 4100 mhz and 1.43 volts isn't normal idle for a 3600. The first thing I would try is turning off whatever that is your using to monitor it and check the task manager to make sure it isn't still running. Then open cpuz again and see if your voltages are still that high at idle. Should be under or around 1 volt.

Then I would look at your fan curves and see why your fans are only spinning at 500 rpm at 60c.

Judging by this post I'm going to assume you don't have a Zen 2 CPU because if you did you'd know that without manually changing power profile settings these CPUs sit at 1.4v+ constantly, no matter what they're doing. On no planet is 60°c at 8% load on a water cooler acceptable. Btw it's possible that fan speed reading is actually a pump speed reading depending on how OP has it wired up.

AMDs "fix" does nothing to solve this, this is confirmed by multiple users who have Zen 2 CPUs here and hundreds of posts on Reddit saying the exact same thing.

One last thing, this is aimed at OP more than anyone else, don't use CPUz to monitor voltage anymore, since the new Chipset driver AMD messed with the way the chips respond to software polling and only the latest version of Ryzen Master is designed to work at the new polling rate. It's possible for other monitoring apps to show false positives.

Also NZXT Cam, Corsair iCue and Nvidia GeForce Experience are known to cause Zen 2 CPUs to stay in woken state and never sleep, this is because they constantly poll the CPU for readings. If you have any of these open close them.

26 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Judging by this post I'm going to assume you don't have a Zen 2 CPU because if you did you'd know that without manually changing power profile settings these CPUs sit at 1.4v+ constantly, no matter what they're doing. On no planet is 60°c at 8% load on a water cooler acceptable. Btw it's possible that fan speed reading is actually a pump speed reading depending on how OP has it wired up.

AMDs "fix" does nothing to solve this, this is confirmed by multiple users who have Zen 2 CPUs here and hundreds of posts on Reddit saying the exact same thing.

One last thing, this is aimed at OP more than anyone else, don't use CPUz to monitor voltage anymore, since the new Chipset driver AMD messed with the way the chips respond to software polling and only the latest version of Ryzen Master is designed to work at the new polling rate. It's possible for other monitoring apps to show false positives.

Also NZXT Cam, Corsair iCue and Nvidia GeForce Experience are known to cause Zen 2 CPUs to stay in woken state and never sleep, this is because they constantly poll the CPU for readings. If you have any of these open close them.

My pump is wired in the cpu fan header and the radiator fans are connected to NZXT smart device..

I did close everything on background including CPUz, CAM and temps are down to 38c, but voltage is still in 1.4v.

Not sure if nVidia geforce xp and control panel has a effect here.

ftr, I haven't applied any overclocks yet, this is all outside the box configs.

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Will give this a try later.

49 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

They do but simply put, their fix does nothing. Also I didn't recommend 99%, I said 100% Max and 1% Min.

The method I posted is the only way I know of that stops the chip from being overvolted on a permanent basis.

Ftr I've been running that fix alongside a -0.1v offset in BIOS for over 2 weeks on my 3800X and I've had zero issues, CPU sleeps properly, voltages drop during sleep and temps are lower all around.

I'm still waiting on Asus to release AGESA 1.0.0.3ABB for my board.

In their documentation, they do show that the cpu sits below 1v when truly idle. Granted it is for a fraction a second but still. They do seem do be a bit eager to boost. My 3600 (pbo+autoOC) sits at around 43c with a 212 cooler when idling at desktop. This is with newest chipset drivers, windows updates and 1.0.0.3ABB on X470 Taichi using the ryzen balanced power plan.

here's an update, not using CPUz and CAM in background made a huge drop.

idle-1.PNG

1 hour ago, RyeIII said:

here's an update, not using CPUz and CAM in background made a huge drop.

idle-1.PNG

Which power plan are you using? I notice voltage is still at 1.4v while idle.

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Which power plan are you using? I notice voltage is still at 1.4v while idle.

AMD Ryzen High Performance

6 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Judging by this post I'm going to assume you don't have a Zen 2 CPU because if you did you'd know that without manually changing power profile settings these CPUs sit at 1.4v+ constantly, no matter what they're doing.

You are joking right? You don't think I know what cpu I purchased and installed in my own system lol. I have been doing this 30 years, I think I know which cpu I have in my computer. Or are you just calling me a liar? I can assure you I am not some 15 year old just making stuff up on the internet to get attention.

I am running a ryzen 3600 on a b450 tomahawk on the ryzen performance power plan. The only thing I changed were the monitor and hard disk options because I don't want them to turn off. However it worked correctly before I made those changes. My cpu idles just fine, always has since day one. Even with the old chipset drivers and original bios for my board. Even if something does pull it off idle voltage it goes to 1.38, not 1.4. So based on my use, what others have said that own them and professional reviews I would say you are wrong.

7 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

On no planet is 60°c at 8% load on a water cooler acceptable. Btw it's possible that fan speed reading is actually a pump speed reading depending on how OP has it wired up.

I didn't say it was acceptable. I said based on those numbers I wasn't shocked to see that temp. And yes that could be pump speed, but either way for that temp it seems a bit low to me. It could be on some sort of "quiet" mode though so it doesn't do much until the temps get higher. Like you said, with a water cooler ( or any good cooler) you shouldn't see 60c with an 8 percent load (providing that reading is accurate). Even with a 1.4 voltage. So that would lead me to think the cooler wasn't doing what it is supposed to be doing. Also remember voltage isn't everything, you also have to look at wattage and current draw. You can have a higher voltage if the current is being limited.

Actually everything I have seen is the opposite of this. Cpuz is the preferred method of checking voltages since it doesn't impact the cpu. Simply turning on Ryzen Master will pull the cpu off idle voltage, even the new one they released. Not only that, on my system I tested it and it will actually keep your voltage higher after you shut it off. So something is still running after you close the program. Without turning ryzen master on my idle voltages are below 1 volt, .3 to .8 volts. Turn it on and the voltage pegs to 1.38 and stays there. Turn it back off they don't go below 1.2 volts. In my opinion Ryzen Master isn't that great of program. Its fine if you can't do stuff in your bios and need software to accomplish it. Other than that I don't see the point in it. If you don't plan on overclocking it isn't software you need.

This I agree with, but I would add Ryzen Master is one of those programs. Cpuz does not do this. And from what I can tell neither does HWmonitor or HWinfo. In the end none of these programs or the sensors on the boards are truly accurate. They can give you a general idea of what is going on, but they are not really accurate. If you want that you need to have the proper tools to measure voltage, current and temprature and know how to use them.

These processor can and will work correctly without doing any kind of trickery with voltages, power plan settings or bios tweaks. If they don't before I went trying any of that stuff I would look at what is running on your system that might be pulling it out of idle, what you are using to monitor it and check to see if your bios might be wrong for any reason. I would hope by this point the bios issues should be fixed though. My MSI board was correct with the first bios release though. I think some of the ASUS boards were messed up with voltages being way off.

Do they act like other processor, no they don't. They were not designed to. They are supposed react faster and be more responsive. Many are seeing this as a problem or a malfunction when it actually isn't. It just isn't what they are used to seeing.

8 hours ago, RyeIII said:

AMD Ryzen High Performance

You need to choose the Ryzen balance power plan, it said it on the article, that's where the fix are. It had my 3900x drop to 0.92v at idle.