Is this RAM Optane thing faster than NVMEs?

G1K777

Yes, but I'd focus on upgrading your system first.

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

It's based on the same stuff used in the optane NVMe PCIe drives, which are arguably the fastest SSDs, so yeah I would say so

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

the problem with optane is price, and size

at first optane was offered not as a storage device but as a added card to help prove performance of hard disks

but price is ridiculous, you pay for 16 gbs the same you pay for a 240 gbs nvme

prices have changed recently, but optane is not moving forward in the market, not at least as intel would like to

256gbs to be used on a pc as a boot drive costs around 130 dollars, alot less than it used to, but the benefits of use it as boot drive are not that impressive

move windows from a hard disk to a ssd is a big improvement

move windows from a ssd to a nvme is a very small improvement

move windows from a nvme to a optane, perhaps is not a improvement

not at least in terms of you seeing the pc running apps faster, booting faster, performing faster

9 minutes ago, goto10 said:

the problem with optane is price, and size

So the fastest to date storage shouldn't be at a price premium?

Anyway, back to OP's question, it is fast, but you have to look at how. Optane is more ram-like than flash's block like structure. This particularly helps with low queue depth random reads. If that isn't an area of benefit, then you might not see a benefit in actual use. If you just want sequential speed, flash SSDs will do that cheaper.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 minutes ago, porina said:

So the fastest to date storage shouldn't be at a price premium?

Anyway, back to OP's question, it is fast, but you have to look at how. Optane is more ram-like than flash's block like structure. This particularly helps with low queue depth random reads. If that isn't an area of benefit, then you might not see a benefit in actual use. If you just want sequential speed, flash SSDs will do that cheaper.

the fastest, well, fastest how, and for who

at what price should be higher

nvme is not far

for personal use ssd is not far from it

everything is relative to the client, use scenario and budget

there was a time you could charge 130 for a hard disk, not anymore

same for a nvme

optane used to charge like 80 dollars for 32gbs

perhaps is faster, but is not better, and there is no way to justify the price, not when it is barely faster than pci express 4 nvme rhat is not far from the price of normal nvme for pci express 3.0

in the end each one justifies what they pay foe what they get, i cant justify nor the size or the price

dont forget that optane ask for intel hardware first, later came amd support

it went from a high price unique market part, now it will try to compete with the other company that was involved in optane development and with normal nvme, not a easy market, not when ssds still are good enough

1 hour ago, goto10 said:

the fastest, well, fastest how, and for who

I said already, it particularly excels at low QD random reads. In that use case, my 900p 280GB is about 5x faster than my 970 Evo, and "only" cost 4x as much per capacity at the time of buying. Flash might be cheaper but it performs way worse. The only storage I used that was faster was a ramdisk, and that's about double the price per capacity again over Optane (at the last time I looked).

perhaps is faster, but is not better, and there is no way to justify the price, not when it is barely faster than pci express 4 nvme rhat is not far from the price of normal nvme for pci express 3.0

PCIe 4.0 doesn't change the performance of the storage types. It increases sequential slightly over PCIe 3.0 until we get better controllers.

dont forget that optane ask for intel hardware first, later came amd support

Optane drives have worked on AMD systems form day 1. The only Intel tie in is if you want to use Intel's cacheing software. With AMD, you can use either AMD or other 3rd party software to do similar.

it went from a high price unique market part, now it will try to compete with the other company that was involved in optane development and with normal nvme, not a easy market, not when ssds still are good enough

I'm not saying everyone should get Optane, but the fact is it does have performance that no other flash reaches. If you need it, you need it. If you don't, for sure, buy something cheaper. Samsung and Toshiba have tried to re-create something like Optane using nand, but while improved they're still not as fast, and still cost far more than regular flash. 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 minutes ago, porina said:

I said already, it particularly excels at low QD random reads. In that use case, my 900p 280GB is about 5x faster than my 970 Evo, and "only" cost 4x as much per capacity at the time of buying. Flash might be cheaper but it performs way worse. The only storage I used that was faster was a ramdisk, and that's about double the price per capacity again over Optane (at the last time I looked).

PCIe 4.0 doesn't change the performance of the storage types. It increases sequential slightly over PCIe 3.0 until we get better controllers.

Optane drives have worked on AMD systems form day 1. The only Intel tie in is if you want to use Intel's cacheing software. With AMD, you can use either AMD or other 3rd party software to do similar.

I'm not saying everyone should get Optane, but the fact is it does have performance that no other flash reaches. If you need it, you need it. If you don't, for sure, buy something cheaper. Samsung and Toshiba have tried to re-create something like Optane using nand, but while improved they're still not as fast, and still cost far more than regular flash. 

i was talking about faster how, under what circumstances, random reads

what that represents for end user, all is relative, you can be happy and do all you want with a good emmc ssd

you could be upset with the best nvme

better how, in that how sense, how is better for you, for example loading games, or loading windows, loading files for a video project in adobe, faster or better how, under what circumstances, what use case, on those circumstances, when you look at it, well everything is relative, which one is the best,or better for you?

about optane and amd, i was talking about optane and the tool to increase hard disk performance, asking you to have a intel platform with the right cpu and motherboard to support the feature

later was added amd support, well, not really, amd allows you to use the drive in a similar way, but we are on a time where speed up a hard disk doesnt matter, because 1Tb nvme exist and is affordable for a big portion of the market

dont look optane as  a winner or a looser

it is a interesting offering, but is not ideal for everyone