Will a 55 inch tv will be ok if i seat 7-10 feet away?

CpuTemps

Will a 55-inch tv will be ok if i seat 7-10 feet away from it in my bedroom?
what is the recommended distance from the tv if its 55 inch?

umm that kiils your eyes. 4 meter at least

Spec: Macbook Air 2017    

ProcessorPU: ii5 (I5-5350U |    

| RAM: 8GB LPDDR3 |

| Storage: 128GB SSD 

| GPU: Intel HD 6000 |

| Audio: JBL 450BT Wireless Headset |

2 minutes ago, CpuTemps said:

Will a 55-inch tv will be ok if i seat 7-10 feet away from it in my bedroom?
what is the recommended distance from the tv if its 55 inch?

I guess, as long as you're not straining your neck to look up at it. Personally, I'd say at least 10 ft.

9 hours ago, steelo said:

I guess, as long as you're not straining your neck to look up at it. Personally, I'd say at least 10 ft.

9 hours ago, Wolfycapt said:

and if it's hanged on a wall? 10+ ft as well? 

Ideally you wouldn't game on a TV at all, the response times are very bad. As for distance, 3 metres should be fine.

20 minutes ago, Wolfycapt said:

Oh boy someone with this train of thinking. Just stop.

11 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

Ideally you wouldn't game on a TV at all, the response times are very bad.

Not even remotely true. While there are a few outliers, a majority of TVs have acceptable input-to-display times unless you're playing something like CS:GO (which is quite obviously foolish on a TV), and there are a good number of sets where the latencies are genuinely good (such as the Samsung TV I have where it is damn near the same as my S2340M).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

9 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

Ideally you wouldn't game on a TV at all, the response times are very bad. As for distance, 3 metres should be fine.

well, i would like to buy a tv since i might pick up a ps5. 

9 hours ago, flibberdipper said:

Not even remotely true. While there are a few outliers, a majority of TVs have acceptable input-to-display times unless you're playing something like CS:GO (which is quite obviously foolish on a TV), and there are a good number of sets where the latencies are genuinely good (such as the Samsung TV I have where it is damn near the same as my S2340M).

I thought about picking up the LG c8 
in your opinion, 10ft will be fine? i saw a site that says 2.5 meters is fine as well

1 minute ago, CpuTemps said:

I thought about picking up the LG c8 
in your opinion, 10ft will be fine? i saw a site that says 2.5 meters is fine as well

Absolutely. Hell, you could probably sit 4 feet away and it'd still look fine.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Absolutely. Hell, you could probably sit 4 feet away and it'd still look fine.

wait so all this stuff about tv hurting your eyes is bs?

3 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

sorry i should have mentioned about the calculation of TV instead of assuming out of blue about distance. in some of the recommendation for minimum its around 7.7feet. but personally, my eyes need more distance with similar TV size. i think why dont you use 7 feet as point of minimum and adjusted it using you own preference. but since its for the game. it might be increasing the chance of neck strain. 

thank you for reminding.

Spec: Macbook Air 2017    

ProcessorPU: ii5 (I5-5350U |    

| RAM: 8GB LPDDR3 |

| Storage: 128GB SSD 

| GPU: Intel HD 6000 |

| Audio: JBL 450BT Wireless Headset |

you can play at any distance, but on that size and at that distance perhaps you will find it to be too big

i would buy a 40" tv instead, but yes, should work

the dustance and eyes, i used to hear that the bigger the tv, more distance to see image properly, but i had read that is not really true

if you can read well at that distance it is ok

i had a 40" tv and to watch tv news at that distance, 10 feet, thw news tv host looks like a giant, it was abit shocking to me, i replaced it with a 32" tv and find it just ok

this is relative to the viewer really, so what i find enormous and shocking might be just ok for you

buy the tv, if it is 4k it will just be fine for text reading i think, at that distance letters should be bug enough

if you are going to mount it on the wall, is it going to go on a arm so you can move it forward or backwards or just a simple wallmount?

2 minutes ago, CpuTemps said:

Pretty much. Kids do it since they can focus up close easier than adults, and in older people the worst that could happen is eyestrain or fatigue.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

9 hours ago, Wolfycapt said:

sorry i should have mentioned about the calculation of TV instead of assuming out of blue about distance. in some of the recommendation for minimum its around 7.7feet. but personally, my eyes need more distance with similar TV size. i think why dont you use 7 feet as point of minimum and adjusted it using you own preference. but since its for the game. it might be increasing the chance of neck strain. 

thank you for reminding.

well i still need to measure the size between the tv and my bed i really hope its at least 7 feet

9 hours ago, goto10 said:

you can play at any distance, but on that size and at that distance perhaps you will find it to be too big

i would buy a 40" tv instead, but yes, should work

the dustance and eyes, i used to hear that the bigger the tv, more distance to see image properly, but i had read that is not really true

if you can read well at that distance it is ok

i had a 40" tv and to watch tv news at that distance, 10 feet, thw news tv host looks like a giant, it was abit shocking to me, i replaced it with a 32" tv and find it just ok

this is relative to the viewer really, so what i find enormous and shocking might be just ok for you

buy the tv, if it is 4k it will just be fine for text reading i think, at that distance letters should be bug enough

if you are going to mount it on the wall, is it going to go on a arm so you can move it forward or backwards or just a simple wallmount?

well i thought about putting the tv on a table while sitting in front of it in my bed but if putting it on a wall will increase the distance then I'm up for it. and probably a simple one 

Pretty much. Kids do it since they can focus up close easier than adults, and in older people the worst that could happen is eyestrain or fatigue.

My eyes get strained easily that's what i'm afraid of the less strain the better

4 minutes ago, CpuTemps said:

My eyes get strained easily that's what i'm afraid of the less strain the better

I'd imagine you'd be fine at the distance you're aiming for, and if it's not then one thing I know helped me when I had issues for a bit was turning the brightness down and having the room's lights on (as well as taking breaks here and there/remembering to blink more). Not exactly ideal, but it did help quite a bit.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

10 hours ago, flibberdipper said:

I'd imagine you'd be fine at the distance you're aiming for, and if it's not then one thing I know helped me when I had issues for a bit was turning the brightness down and having the room's lights on (as well as taking breaks here and there/remembering to blink more). Not exactly ideal, but it did help quite a bit.

Thanks for the help

2 hours ago, CpuTemps said:

Well, seen as VR headsets exist, Yes it is total BS.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

Some of these comments just hurt my brain. Yes you're fine at that distance. The C8 is a good tv. Buy it and you'll be happy. Enjoy gaming and watching tv on your 55 non eye burning tv. 

3 hours ago, CpuTemps said:

well i still need to measure the size between the tv and my bed i really hope its at least 7 feet

well i thought about putting the tv on a table while sitting in front of it in my bed but if putting it on a wall will increase the distance then I'm up for it. and probably a simple one 

that is a good idea, if you find it too close, too big, you can wallmount it, if not big enough you can move the table or desk closer

as i mentioned i had 32" tv on similar distances, it is a hd tv,not fullhd, it was abit small but big enough, 40" should be great, 55", depends on you

the bigger and clearer the letters and images less tired your eyes will get, i mentioned that too big but is a personal perception, depends on the size of the room

i thimk you will end up loving it but not at 4k, at 1080p, but yes, go for it

I have a 55" 4k TV in the living room - if you are closer than 10 ft its pixelated imho.  Even watching movies on it you want to be around 10 feet back at least.  I game on it as well with my media center but the R7 260x GPU doesn't push 4k very well ;) 

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

I'd have to measure to be sure but I probably sit about 10 feet away from a 65" tv and it's just fine.

I sit around seven feet or so away from my 55" and it is perfectly fine. I actually upgraded from a 1080p 40" to a 4k 55" and it did take me a day or so to adjust to the new size. It felt a little weird at first for gaming since my eyes had to move around more. Honestly, I now think I could go up another five to ten inches. Sometimes I wish it was a little bigger. I don't know what I'm going to do when I move and sit much farther away. I'm going to need a really big TV lol.

7 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

Yeah, but it is worth the trade off since you get a much bigger display than you would with a monitor. It makes everything feel more cinematic and in your face.

Also, the response time is getting a lot better with TVs. The Vizio P series has a response time of like 16ms at 4k60hz but there is almost a 10ms penalty when using HDR. So yeah, you are right that it would be ideal not to game on a TV but like I said, they are big. And once you get used to the response time, it isn't that bad. You really get used to it.

I bought a Sony X900E which is honestly a great TV and pretty damn good for gaming but it doesn't have nearly the great response time of the Vizio P series. I think it was almost twice the price but I have a bit of buyers remorse and kind of wish I went with the P series for the response time. My TV does look gorgeous though so IDK. My parents bought the 65" P series and it actually looks really good considering the price.

I think within the next five years we are going to see TVs with very low response times, like under 10ms and maybe even approaching gaming monitor response time. There does seem to be a bit of a trend of catering to gamers since we are such a big market.

13 hours ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

Yeah, but it is worth the trade off since you get a much bigger display than you would with a monitor. It makes everything feel more cinematic and in your face.

I honestly don't understand the whole bigger is better thing, to me the trade off is definitely not worth it. If it is a FOV thing, just sit closer to your monitor, it's exactly the same result but better response times.

1 hour ago, schwellmo92 said:

I honestly don't understand the whole bigger is better thing, to me the trade off is definitely not worth it. If it is a FOV thing, just sit closer to your monitor, it's exactly the same result but better response times.

if he doesnt want to sit, but he will be on his bed, the distance cannot be altered that easily, that is why it is important the size of the display/tv here

3 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

That's like saying just hold the phone closer to your face. ?

Seriously though, it feels different to me just sitting really close to a display vs sitting comfortably back with a big display in front of me at a reasonable distance. Look at this way, is just sitting closer to your TV to watch a movie exactly the same as seeing a movie in a theater?