PC freezes up randomly 1-2 mins after startup

snoopunit

Recently, I've been having a strange issue with my PC. Almost every time i start the PC up from the powered down state, it will operate normally for a minute or two and then totally freeze up. not Ctrl-alt-delete, no mouse movement, nothing. I have to manually restart the PC. This usually happens once or twice before my PC finally goes back to normal. 

At first, i thought maybe my AIO cooler had died, so I went into BIOS and CPU-Z to verify i wasn't overheatting, and everything was sitting at good temps ~32C idle. Then I thought maybe my SSD was dieing, so I ran a crystaldisk check and everything also came out fine. All of my drivers are up to date as well, but I do have W10 updates turned off completely. I'm pretty sure if this was an issue with windows, it would have been all over the internet at some point, so I don't think that has anything to do with it. The only other possible thing I can think of is having mis-matched RAM in my PC. At this point though, I don't really remember what I put into it. All i know is that 36GB is not divisible by 8, so I had to have thrown something weird in there. The PC functions absolutely fine otherwise though. 

The PC has been running for about a year now without any issues, this only came up a few weeks ago. It's just annoying having to reboot my PC 2-3 times every time I get home. Once it sorts itself out, however, everything is fine. I'm just at a loss of what to investigate or try next. Does anyone have any suggestions?

EDIT:

PC Specs:

asrock x79 extreme 11

intel 4820K CPU stock

corsair AIO watercooler

36GB ram

512GB SSD

2x 1TB HDD in "raid0" using W10 storage spaces

CoolerMaster 750W modular PSU

MSI gtx 970 GPU

Try running with only one confirmed good stick of RAM plz

No signature found

1 minute ago, RobbinM said:

Try running with only one confirmed good stick of RAM plz

I thought of doing this, but wouldn't the issue continue to occur regardless of how many times my PC was rebooted? I can try this, but my PC is tucked away and I like to get right to business when I get home. If the issue gets any worse, this will be the next check.

Look, it looks like your PC shows signs of degrading components.

These could be anything from failing power supplies, mainboard capacitors, cooling issues etc.

But as you said, you were unsure about your RAM.

A 36GB configuration is not something strange at all. But if you have doubts about that, it is most certainly a priority to remove any doubt.

After you have made sure your RAM isn't throwing errors, it would be advisable to change out the PSU for a spare one if you have anything laying around. If you don't, than measure stability of the supply lines. If you can't do that, than calculate total use. Most power supplies have a life expactancy anything between 5000 to 12000 hours. Look for swollen capacitors on all components, especially PSU, mainboard.

If the PSU checks out, next thing would be to exchange the mainboard for a new one to rule it out.

If something has been working fine, and is now not as fine as before, it is signs of wear. The one thing that wears out in computers, sometimes faster then expected, are capacitors. I've seen problems like these before and they almost always are cured after a mainboard/psu swap.

My bet is on PSU/mainboard.

No signature found