How bad is this $5000 PC from 10 years ago?

nicklmg

I was kinda hoping for X58 :/

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Overl0rd from the forum here :D thanks for the shout out at the beginning @LinusTech, I’m happy to have been of assistance ? Awesome that this obscure platform is getting some love again!

A couple of points I would like to mention: 

-While the QX9775 CPUs are the most awesome way to go on this platform. It will work just fine with regular 771 Xeons and back then a TON of people went that route. The board will also work just fine with a single CPU. Especially the CPUs with a 1333MHz FSB have great OC headroom (as 5400 chipset runs out at around 430MHz bus speed) and could potentially reach beyond 4GHz. Overclocking the QX9775s is rather straightforward, mine do 4GHz at 1.41V. Just make sure to have proper cooling on not just the CPUs, but also active cooling on the north bridge and the FBDIMMs; those will get up to around 90C.

-Despite the fact that the drivers of the Nforce 100 chips are troublesome in Windows 10, SLI should work fine using PCIe 2 and 4 (I have tested this personally). The problems are less under Windows 7, but still present.

-16GB of RAM is definitely supported out of box. I personally run 4x4GB 667MHz overclocked to 800MHz. To do this you do have to have the latest BIOS version, as more memory config options were only added later on.

cpuz.png.051c0ce5dbf6ebb424d6d1fb2882b4e6.png

For those interested in some comparative testing and further information, on my Youtube channel (Dellchannel21) I have a lot of videos covering this platform in detail.

In short; it still holds up reasonably well in gaming considering the age of the microarchitecture and having that extra CPU now definitely make a difference. It of course won’t be a valid option for a 144Hz setup, but in somewhat older titles it is playable. Crysis 3 was the best example of the extra cores really kicking in. This was tested with a GTX 1060 6GB in 2018.

crysis3.png.42ff7978d453cfb21503bc216721c2b9.png

SKULLTRAIL GAMING - How does Intel's $4000 Overclockable Dual Socket system perform?

For how it compares to under synthetic benchmarks; here I clocked both QX9775s to 4.2GHz with 16GB 800MHz CL5 memory and it was still really impressive. Beating the 5GHz FX 9590 Bulldozer and coming very close to the stock Skylake 6700K.

CB.png.df3128b7a8f4c21566074a7cea8606d7.png

OVERCLOCKING SKULLTRAIL - Dual QX9775 over 4GHz

For how the latest and greatest games do, well… you can actually sort of play Battlefield V 64 player and I’m extremely impressed that was possible.

There's a time and place for everything! But not now. - Professor Oak

i7 2600K 4.3GHz  -  GTX 1060 3GB  - ASUS P8Z68-V - 16GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - EIZO 1080p 120Hz VA

Intel Skulltrail: 2x Core 2 Quad QX9775 - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-800 CL5 Quad Channel

EVGA SR-2 Classified - 2x Xeon X5675 4.2GHz - 24GB DDR3-1830 C10 Triple Channel

Intel Skulltrail #2: 2x Xeon E5472  - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-667 CL5 Quad Channel

my main rig runs a motherboard from 2009 and is a dual 1366 socket with two x5679's and its still very useable today so much so that i havent upgraded to something newer yet becuase the cost would be very high to actually exceed the machine speed significantly

7 minutes ago, emosun said:

my main rig runs a motherboard from 2009 and is a dual 1366 socket with two x5679's and its still very useable today so much so that i havent upgraded to something newer yet becuase the cost would be very high to actually exceed the machine speed significantly

Yeah even my single X5650 at a modest clock speed is a good mid-range CPU today, and is phenomenal when you consider the CPU, motherboard, and RAM only cost $120.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Things to add :
1) RTX Titan needed (Titan XP is too old ;D)
2) NVMe (use those PCI-e slots properly !)
^software like DUET or Clover should be enough to make it bootable on this
[Optane standalone ?]
3) Won't overheating chipset/NV bridges cause throttling ?

4) Driver overhead test : RTX vs. RDNA :) (which gets more "necked"/can sqeeze more)
5) 16GB RAM or bust (DO NOT run/test it with again 8GB).
6) Bandwidth and Latency test on RAM (FSB is worse, but by how much)
7) GPU usage on 4k and Ultra settings
8 ) Compatibility with Windows based OC/Tweak programs :
https://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/MemSet.shtml https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/ https://setfsb.en.lo4d.com/windows
PS. Old QVL lists get outdated the moment platform goes on sale (I used 16GB of DDR3 on Rampage Extreme fine*).
*only Double Sided 4GB memory modules are supported.

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

Give this to Anthony, I'm sure he will manage to do some whacky stuff with it.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

2 hours ago, nicklmg said:

Buy Intel workstation parts on Amazon: https://lmg.gg/8KV3R

Anyone able to clear something up?  I sent Linus this exact board, 2x QX9775 CPU's and some FB-Dimms from the UK @LinusTech

image.thumb.png.23df7049927346760d030d242e277804.png

Is this my board being used here as the box looks like the one I sent across or is this @Overl0rd's equipment?  Trying to figure out what has gone on here?  Top job for Overlord if he did send another board, cpu's etc but I don't get where the board and equipment I sent has gone....?

Anyone from Linus Media Group able to clarify whats going on here?  Just wanna know if the stuff I sent was working etc :)

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

4 minutes ago, Falconevo said:

Anyone able to clear something up?  I sent Linus this exact board, 2x QX9775 CPU's and some FB-Dimms from the UK.
Is this my board being used here as the box looks like the one I sent across or is this @Overl0rd's equipment?  Trying to figure out what has gone on here?  Top job for Overlord if he did send another board, cpu's etc but I don't get where the board and equipment I sent has gone....?

Anyone from Linus Media Group able to clarify whats going on here?

I haven't sent him my boards. If you sent him your stuff (top job for doing so by the way!) it should certainly be yours.

i7 2600K 4.3GHz  -  GTX 1060 3GB  - ASUS P8Z68-V - 16GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - EIZO 1080p 120Hz VA

Intel Skulltrail: 2x Core 2 Quad QX9775 - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-800 CL5 Quad Channel

Intel Skulltrail #2: 2x Xeon E5472  - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-667 CL5 Quad Channel

Good thing Linus caught that he forgot to plug the south bridge HSF fan back in...! That could have been a real blood blath. (Kappa)

21 minutes ago, Overl0rd said:

I haven't sent him my boards. If you sent him your stuff (top job for doing so by the way!) it should certainly be yours.

Ah cool, genuinely confused at the start of the video xD then i was like.. pretty sure that's the box etc I sent over.. took me about 2 weeks to find the door hanger and all the docs for it so glad it saw some screen time.

I'd love to see it overclocked and pushed to it's absolute limits, the SkullTrail was a bit of a difficult beast to overclock with as not much documentation existed around the board.  I reset the BIOS before sending it and just verified it would boot with the QX9775's as it was running 4.4Ghz daily OC's back in the day on both chips and ran stable for everything outside of Intel's own CPU burn test (used to just lock up on dual socket due to some timing issue that would throw up 'hardware failure' on an Intel version of a blue screen of death).  Maybe LN2 and push for some world records ;)?  I believe the board and 9775's reached over 6Ghz at one point?   If it makes good content for the community just detonate the board with LN2 and massive OC's ?

The system was still pretty strong in gaming, I also have a EVGA SR-2 & dual x5690's but the board some soldering after it got dropped during a house move :( If I can get that working, may send it across too as that was the SkullTrail's replacement back in the day.

1 minute ago, Falconevo said:

Ah cool, genuinely confused at the start of the video xD then i was like.. pretty sure that's the box etc I sent over.. took me about 2 weeks to find the door hanger and all the docs for it so glad it saw some screen time.

I'd love to see it overclocked and pushed to it's absolute limits, the SkullTrail was a bit of a difficult beast to overclock with as not much documentation existed around the board.  I reset the BIOS before sending it and just verified it would boot with the QX9775's as it was running 4.4Ghz daily OC's back in the day on both chips and ran stable for everything outside of Intel's own CPU burn test (used to just lock up on dual socket due to some timing issue that would throw up 'hardware failure' on an Intel version of a blue screen of death).  Maybe LN2 and push for some world records ;)?  I believe the board and 9775's reached over 6Ghz at one point?   If it makes good content for the community just detonate the board with LN2 and massive OC's ?

The system was still pretty strong in gaming, I also have a EVGA SR-2 & dual x5690's but the board some soldering after it got dropped during a house move :( If I can get that working, may send it across too as that was the SkullTrail's replacement back in the day.

Awesome, yes Skulltrail needs some OC for sure. 4.4GHz is a lot for those chips, what voltage were you running? On air I've had mine at 4.2GHz with 1.42V and that was pretty toasty already.. These did indeed got near 6GHz on LN2 https://hwbot.org/submission/703152_delex_cpu_frequency_2x_core_2_extreme_qx9775_5586_mhz super awesome stuff, but I wouldn't recommend it with boards this age now ? I believe Intel showcased them at 5GHz at some piont as well.

Oof sorry to hear about your SR-2, they are very fragile for sure.... 

Just now, Overl0rd said:

Awesome, yes Skulltrail needs some OC for sure. 4.4GHz is a lot for those chips, what voltage were you running? On air I've had mine at 4.2GHz with 1.42V and that was pretty toasty already.. These did indeed got near 6GHz on LN2 https://hwbot.org/submission/703152_delex_cpu_frequency_2x_core_2_extreme_qx9775_5586_mhz super awesome stuff, but I wouldn't recommend it with boards this age now ? I believe Intel showcased them at 5GHz at some piont as well.

Oof sorry to hear about your SR-2, they are very fragile for sure.... 

If memory serves it was able to run 1.38 volts to get 4.4 stable (silicon lottery?) I did have an excel document full of configuration settings used for each step of the way but I genuinely can't seem to locate it on any old hdd :( 

I had a lot of problems with memory compatibility, I ended up with some Kingston 800Mhz FB-DIMMS KTA-MP800K2 and had to lax off the timings to keep things stable due to the FSB bump.  I also had a corsair active memory cooler on the top as the memory modules run HOT.

The whole system ran hot and the power draw was colossal but it was a really fun system to build, I've always been an enthusiast for dual socket builds as I have always worked primarily with server hardware with dual and quad socket mainboards.   Speaking of such, I do have a pair of X5492's which OC'd really well, I think they surpassed the QX9775's with similar voltage, I still have those knocking around in the basement if they are of any interest to you?  Got a load of old hardware like that just sat in the basement doing nothing.

16 minutes ago, Falconevo said:

If memory serves it was able to run 1.38 volts to get 4.4 stable (silicon lottery?) I did have an excel document full of configuration settings used for each step of the way but I genuinely can't seem to locate it on any old hdd :( 

I had a lot of problems with memory compatibility, I ended up with some Kingston 800Mhz FB-DIMMS KTA-MP800K2 and had to lax off the timings to keep things stable due to the FSB bump.  I also had a corsair active memory cooler on the top as the memory modules run HOT.

The whole system ran hot and the power draw was colossal but it was a really fun system to build, I've always been an enthusiast for dual socket builds as I have always worked primarily with server hardware with dual and quad socket mainboards.   Speaking of such, I do have a pair of X5492's which OC'd really well, I think they surpassed the QX9775's with similar voltage, I still have those knocking around in the basement if they are of any interest to you?  Got a load of old hardware like that just sat in the basement doing nothing.

1.38V would be amazing for that frequency! If you do find that HDD I'd love to know.

I'm always interested in old OC stuff, send me a message!

Surely a modern Titan isnt supported on PCIe only PCIe 3??

The Sata I interface killed the performance on photoshop/premiere.

can't you use one of the PCI-E slots for storage?

2 hours ago, Skeeter said:

"a platform this old!"

I only retired my LGA775 system about 2 months ago...

I'm still on LGA 775!

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

This is a lot like his $150 Motherboard+RAM+CPU(s) video.

If you get a dell 690 board and put in 16GB RAM, 2 Xeon X5450s, and a decent graphics card, you have yourself and not-terrible gaming computer.

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

So I'm curious what the system is drawing at full prime95 small fft abuse? I saw 300W mentioned for total system power, that's actually not terrible but that was at what CPU %?

4 hours ago, Overl0rd said:

I haven't sent him my boards

Then it's a really weird beginning because everyone and their mother will think that it's you who sent him that mobo.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

I am building a very similar system right now with a Dell Precision T7400 motherboard, and it supports up to 32gb of ram, or 64 if you use memory risers, and 5400 series processors. That might solve the issue with the ram bottleneck, but I doubt it supports overclocking. You might want to look into VERY high end workstation motherboards or server motherboards from that era if you want to get more memory, though I bet they will come with their own set of challenges.

20190805_191939.jpg

This was definitely a cool system, but if you really want to go back in time you should try and get your hands on an Abit BP6 and some Celerons. Those dual socket systems were where it all began. I remember having to track down a copy of Windows NT because Win95/98 didn't support dual CPU LOL

Going back to this build, 8 cores is definitely a sweet spot. I'm still running a 5960X and that's a 5 year old product. The thing is that even for it being five years old it STILL doesn't feel slow and can handle anything I throw at it. Since I have no need to upgrade it now or even next year I am wondering if 5 years down the road when it becomes 10 years old it will still be able to work well enough. I'm thinking yes.

Speaking of dual sockets. where are the EPYC dual socket systems? Why isn't AMD pushing those in the GPU server market where all those PCI express lanes could be put to use?

You guys should use this as an excuse to run DRM vs DRM free games like The Witcher 3

Could always run cracked games as well for denuvo vs no denuvo

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?