Is it safe to leave camera gear in a vehicle on a hot summer day?

I have a small pelican case (Orange) that I keep my GoPro, batteries, and portable charger in. I often leave it in my vehicle because I travel a lot. Is it safe to leave camera equipment in a vehicle on a hot day? I don't know how hot it gets, but my car is dark blue so it soaks up sunlight and builds interior heat really quick? I know that I should check each items operating temp in the manual, but will it cause any other damage besides with the batteries?

What's the outside temp going to be? 90+ degrees F? I would keep it stored elsewhere. If it's below that and just for the day, it should be fine. Arizona heat would turn your equipment into a goo; for example.

10 minutes ago, A.Hruskach said:

I have a small pelican case (Orange) that I keep my GoPro, batteries, and portable charger in. I often leave it in my vehicle because I travel a lot. Is it safe to leave camera equipment in a vehicle on a hot day? I don't know how hot it gets, but my car is dark blue so it soaks up sunlight and builds interior heat really quick? I know that I should check each items operating temp in the manual, but will it cause any other damage besides with the batteries?

Where? You can look at forecasts and see what the weather will most likely be. 

If the outside of the car gets anywhere above 90F, then no. Put them somewhere else. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

19 minutes ago, A.Hruskach said:

Just leave it inside the trunk,  nothing bad will happen.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

As we all know, hot air rises, and I'm fairly sure this is also the case in cars. From personal experience from a few hours ago today, the lower something is in a car, the better. Perhaps place it under the front seat (either in the back or front), or put it in the boot (or any other low spot). :)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

9 minutes ago, TomvanWijnen said:

As we all know, hot air rises, and I'm fairly sure this is also the case in cars. From personal experience from a few hours ago today, the lower something is in a car, the better. Perhaps place it under the front seat (either in the back or front), or put it in the boot (or any other low spot). :)

Cars tend to trap heat rather well, so even lower, it's still likely to get quite hot.

I wouldn't keep anything remotely valuable in the car. If need be, travel lighter, use a smaller camera, etc. This is a part of the reason I went with a compact, as carrying an SLR with even a single lens every day to work and back would be far too impractical. And there's little point having a camera I'm seldom able to have with me.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 hour ago, A.Hruskach said:

Id be more afraid of someone busting out the Windows and stealing the stuff than the heat. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

If it's an extreme heat day, the battery could swell up and explode. If the temperature outside is 90˚F, the inside of the car would be at 133˚F within an hour according to this vet website. (Hence why you also should never leave a baby or an animal in a car...)

You could also just get your window bashed in and have your gear stolen.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

The battery could suffer permanent loss to the total capacity or perhaps in the worst case even fail and explode, but I'd be more concerned about the former as that's almost guaranteed while the latter is certainly not.  The camera should theoretically be fine though, I've seen some durability tests on DSLRs and they are built to handle the world's extreme conditions - deserts, arctic, etc.  More importantly though, this plan is flawed from the start - never leave anything valuable (ie, a dime or more) in a vehicle.  There are people who are that desperate and just need that little bit more to get what they need, and will break in for it.  By comparison, a whole camera bag is about as rich of a treasure as you can get.  It's just asking for trouble.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I had my camera in my trunk while on a canoe trip. When I retrieved it, it would not function because it was too hot. It was fine once it cooled off, but I don't care to try that again. If I had a similar situation again, I'd look for one of those fans that sit on the window to pull a little air through the cabin. 

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

The battery could suffer permanent loss to the total capacity or perhaps in the worst case even fail and explode, but I'd be more concerned about the former as that's almost guaranteed while the latter is certainly not.  The camera should theoretically be fine though, I've seen some durability tests on DSLRs and they are built to handle the world's extreme conditions - deserts, arctic, etc.  More importantly though, this plan is flawed from the start - never leave anything valuable (ie, a dime or more) in a vehicle.  There are people who are that desperate and just need that little bit more to get what they need, and will break in for it.  By comparison, a whole camera bag is about as rich of a treasure as you can get.  It's just asking for trouble.

Amen!  Nice one Ryan... Ya mean its not a safe practice to leave a 500 dollar or more camera in the car in hot weather.  Firstly they can break in and steal your camera, which is why I suggested keep it in the trunk, if you must.  I wouldn't do such thing.  If I had a expensive camera I would never leave it in the car,, people will break in and snatch it.  Always have the camera with you is the moral of the story.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

16 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It is estimated that storing a LI-ION battery for one year at 60C (140F) would result in a battery that could still be recharged to around 75% of its original capacity. That depends on the level of charge is is kept at while at that temperature, the higher the charge the faster the degradation. In practice, the effect of high temperature for short periods of time, such as in the back of a car, should not cause a problem. Take for example the operating temperature of the Canon 7D2 is 0C-40C. If the external temperature is 33C then on average the boot temperature after 3hrs will be 41C, so only slightly outside the recommended operating temperature. In a bag this could be slightly less. In the cabin of a car however the temperature differential compared to ambient can be substantial. For instance a recent event here in the UK with external temperatures of 33C, the cabin of a car where a dog died was up to 49C. I would still not be concerned about the battery in the camera exploding. Most battery manufactures use 60C as a general rule of thumb for storage, the temps at which explosion becomes a risk is quite a bit higher than that depending on the cell type.