MSI X570 Gaming Plus

I recently completed my new Ryzen build with the MSI X570 gaming plus and two Crucial MX500 1TB M.2 drives. The top M.2 slot powers up but never recognizes either drive in BIOS/OS. Both drives function normally in the lower M.2 slot. My smaller issue is I cannot mount the motherboards M.2 heat sink because they didn't finish the hole where you would mount the riser. MSI advised me to try a beta BIOS they sent me, which did not resolve the issue. They have 24-48 hours to respond to each sequence of the conversation and I've not heard anything back since advising them the BIOS update was unsuccessful. Does anyone else have any ideas? While I was waiting I attempted to try their phone tech support and that individual told me that the Crucial MX500 was not compatible with their motherboard even though they both work in the lower slot. I found an amazon review with an identical issue. They took two weeks to turn the board around and he received it back with the same issues.

Edit: So yes, it was my fault for not noticing the obvious. (Neither did MSI tech support). So I feel dumb... However, they did recommend an RMA for the unfinished hole. The high resolution image I found somewhere of their site showed that hole finished as well. Not worth the RMA to me. I have since added a nvme drive and all is well.

mobo.jpg

I've ordered a Samsung Evo 970 that is on there officially supported list. We'll see how it goes. My new MSI monitor that has been otherwise great, now also had several dead pixels. At this point I'm writing MSI off. Ugh. Get what you pay for I suppose.

• 1 month later...

I have these exact same problems with mine. If anyone has an update, that would be lovely.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/8/2019 at 2:42 PM, AdvilLobotomite said:

I have these exact same problems with mine. If anyone has an update, that would be lovely.

I finally just bought a Samsung Evo and sold the Crucial MX500. I didn't bother with doing an RMA for the non-finished hole because I can't have my system down for that long, and the heat sink isn't a huge deal because I don't do crazy file read/writes. I have the latest BIOS but I no longer have the drive to test if it made any difference. I'm guessing it hasn't.

• 3 weeks later...

MX500 will not work in the top slot cause it's not electrically possible. MX500 is a SATA drive with M2 connector.
Top slot (M2_1) on this mobo is PCIe only, they will work in bottom slot (M2_2) cause it can accept both SATA3 and PCIe drives.
It's not a problem with the board, it's in the specification.

Stumbled on this thread accidentally looking for heatsink mount cause i remember sth about screwing in the post for 2280 size drives not being necessary with this particular heatsink and decided to clarify
That unfinished hole looks an awful lot like a case screwless mounting peg tbh.

The silkscreen on the board even says right there that this slot doesn't support SATA... ?‍♂️

Always important to go through the mobo manual to ensure it can do what you want before buying...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

So the title should be Read the Effen specs of the board you want to buy!!!! because I will get on the net and say your product sucks because I did not read if it supports the hardware I have...Typical