Setting up a Ubiquiti UniFi Access Point [Guide]

Hello everyone,

I just bought myself three of the basic AP unit and I am attempting to set them up. However I run into problem while trying to launch the controller software after installing it. It tells me after sitting on the "Starting UniFi controller" for a couple of minutes that "The server took too long to start". None of the guides I've read actually covers this issue and I am in a loss what to do next and what the issue is.

The way I am trying to set things up is: The modem is plugged into my Asus RT-N66U router, from which the LAN slots goes into the PoE brick of the AP and onto the AP itself.

Is there any ports I need to forward? Or what am I missing here? :(

Edit. I attempted plugging the Ethernet cable directly into my computer without going through the routher. The setup still fails on the exact same place.

After you open the software and it says it fails to launch, wait a bit longer and try going to https://127.0.0.1:8443/(or the IP of the controller if you're not running it on the same machine).

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

Have seen Linus' video with some interest. I currently have an R8000 and the wireless performance on it is...sub par to say the least. I'm in a 100sqm apartment so my coverage, performance etc should be ok, and i've tried all i can with inSSIDer to find the source of interference, but alas no real luck. My only guess is that i live in a large apartment block, and I can see about >20 wireless networks so that may have something to do with it.

Have have people found the range, and throughput of the AP-AC ? Particularly on the 5Ghz band? I have no solid walls (they're all 'Giprock' / Plaster). Do you need the software controller to be setup and going all the time, or can you just use it for the initial setup and it's kind of set and forget?

The other thing is how does it interact with some of their other products - EDGE routers and the like?

Cheers,

Regarding other networks: Wifi stops talking if another network starts to talk on the same channel (at least as far as I have understood it).

As far as I am aware the controller software does not need to run 24/7 (their website states the same). The last version I had in my hands was Java based soooooo .... if everybody lies you could still run it from a pi ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ . As far as I have read it is set up and forget. But the two units I had my hands on ran dd-wrt, which meant I was not able to use the controller (duh!).

If you are really interested in the ubiquiti stuff you could check out their support forums: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/Forums

They should have some really great pointers and solid information.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4.7GHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 | Motherboard: X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB | Case: NCase M1 v6.0 | SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB, 860 Evo 1TB | CPU Cooler: H100i ELITE CAPELLIX | MonitorsLG 27GN950-B 4K 165Hz |

Does anybody knows if they ever fixed the "zero hand-off" in the AC version?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience with using these on an OS X based network?

We have about 150 staff on macmini's and macbook airs. We currently have a Cisco Meraki solution, however disconnection issues are rising.

Thanks

Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience with using these on an OS X based network?

We have about 150 staff on macmini's and macbook airs. We currently have a Cisco Meraki solution, however disconnection issues are rising.

Thanks

They'll work fine. Keep in mind you want about 30 users per physical device at a max, so you'll need a couple of the triple packs :)

That number you purchase will depend on your physical layout of your office, also.

Install the controller on a small server, so it's not tied to a laptop of any kind.

I'm surprised you're running into issues with the Meraki's, any luck from their support at all?

• 3 weeks later...

I have been configuring Outdoor UAP+. I actually wanted it for serparate wifi password & user id. I followed many sites including ubnt site but not got the correct answer. I then configured the AP in voucher option mode with simple password. Yet there is a problem that some of the devices connect with the simple password and doesn't require voucher code and some of the devices don't connect at all.

In your tuturial page I saw the change in the ip address.Please help me out to get rid off this problem.

thanks..

I can finally put my 24 port gigabit Cisco PoE switch to use. :D

Gonna get a few, like 3.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

I have been configuring Outdoor UAP+. I actually wanted it for serparate wifi password & user id. I followed many sites including ubnt site but not got the correct answer. I then configured the AP in voucher option mode with simple password. Yet there is a problem that some of the devices connect with the simple password and doesn't require voucher code and some of the devices don't connect at all.

In your tuturial page I saw the change in the ip address.Please help me out to get rid off this problem.

thanks..

Best to look at the user guide for the controller version you're using, then if failing that, post on their forum https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/bd-p/UniFi