Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What book have you read recently?

Hi, guys! I've just finished reading the Master and Margarita. I really liked the works of Bulgakov. Do you have any other recommendations?

I have started but not got more than a chapter or two into consider phlebas (Iain Banks) and raising steam (terry Pratchett).

I have a lot of trouble finding time to read books of late.

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

5 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I have started but not got more than a chapter or two into consider phlebas (Iain Banks) and raising steam (terry Pratchett).

I have a lot of trouble finding time to read books of late.

I know that. I've been reading Masters and margarita for about a year.

I just finished re-reading The Redemption of Althalus by David Eddings.

I've finished also at about the same time Le plus grand défi de l'histoire de l'humanité by Aurélien Barrau.

There are some books that wait for me to be able to read them but after a few pages I just can't... The writing/style just doesn't appeal to me.

4 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

I just finished re-reading The Redemption of Althalus by David Eddings.

I've finished also at about the same time Le plus grand défi de l'histoire de l'humanité by Aurélien Barrau.

There are some books that wait for me to be able to read them but after a few pages I just can't... The writing/style just doesn't appeal to me.

What was the second book about?

I recently finished Metro 2033 and Nineteen Eighty-Four. I guess I have a thing for dystopias. 

Currently I'm reading The Age of Surveillance Capitalism. A very interesting take on the discourse surrounding artificial intelligence and the information age. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

5 minutes ago, Arange said:

What was the second book about?

Climate change and possibilities and urgency.

He is an astrophysicist, I heard him in a few debates and wanted to read a bit more about his thoughts.

Edited by Guest
fixed typos
2 minutes ago, Volbet said:

I recently finished Metro 2033 and Nineteen Eighty-Four. I guess I have a thing for dystopias. 

Currently I'm reading The Age of Surveillance Capitalism. A very interesting take on the discourse surrounding artificial intelligence and the information age. 

Oh, Metro 2033. I remember this book. Yes, it's a very good book. After it, I immediately rushed to play Metro 2033 and then Metro Last Light.

Just now, Cora_Lie said:

Climate change and possibilities and urgency.

He is an astrophysicist, I heard him in a few debates, and wanted to read a bit more about his thoughts.

Is there an English version of this book? I'm interested now, too.

6 minutes ago, Arange said:

Is there an English version of this book? I'm interested now, too.

Not yet, the book was published last May. Maybe one day. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But there are a lot of very good authors writers on the subject in english too.

3 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

Well, then I can only wait for the translation of this book

I have read J.K. Rowlings "The Casual Vacancy" recently and it's very intriguing... Rowling's writing style is very fresh and new here.

3 hours ago, Cora_Lie said:

Michael Crichton's State of Fear is one.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

I have a library of about 2000 books (a lifetime of collecting and reading.) Currently re-reading "Jennifer Government"

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

The Fifth Science by Exurb1a. If you haven't seen his YouTube channel it is def worth a watch (Link). Also the book is fantastic. :)

Class by Fussell

It explains why I'm just a no-class, beat-down fool and I will always be that way despite currently out-earning 99% of people my age in the US. 

More seriously (the above abused a quote from a Weezer song), it did outline a lot of things I observed, including in some of my extended family: brand obsession is a lower class attribute; conformity, group mentality and workaholism is a middle class or upper middle class attribute; giving 0 Fs and being socially conservative is an upper class attribute and I don't know anyone from old money

It also explains why I feel so awkward by a lot of the "upper middle class" people I'm around at work - very different mindset from my lower-middle class (or high-proletariat) upbringing (in terms of values though I had exposure to a number of upper middle class aspects). It's funny watching myself start to conform to more and more upper middle class values - I wear clothes with increasingly less apparent brands, my views on what is possible are becoming increasingly grandiose, I'm definitely becoming more elitist and more self-confident - when I was at LTX I half joked with my SO that I'm the alpha-nerd (muscular/slender, elite education and occupation, near the top in terms of technical knowledge and how to navigate systems), me at age 16 was worried I'd be struck working at Walmart because "all the good union jobs" were dying; I proceeded to work in low wage retail for 6 years. 

R9 3900x; 64GB RAM | RTX 2080 | 1.5TB Optane P4800x

1TB ADATA XPG Pro 8200 SSD | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD
HD800 + SCHIIT VALI | Topre Realforce Keyboard

I've been trying to read the old HG Wells books, Time Machine for example. Fascinating.

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

If you want a simple novel, I can recommend without hesitation a book i read a few weeks ago, Neil Stephenson - Seveneves : https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22816087-seveneves

Very good book, makes you think about a lot of things:

What would happen if the world were ending?

A catastrophic event renders the earth a ticking time bomb. In a feverish race against the inevitable, nations around the globe band together to devise an ambitious plan to ensure the survival of humanity far beyond our atmosphere, in outer space.

But the complexities and unpredictability of human nature coupled with unforeseen challenges and dangers threaten the intrepid pioneers, until only a handful of survivors remain . . .

Five thousand years later, their progeny—seven distinct races now three billion strong—embark on yet another audacious journey into the unknown . . . to an alien world utterly transformed by cataclysm and time: Earth.

A writer of dazzling genius and imaginative vision, Neal Stephenson combines science, philosophy, technology, psychology, and literature in a magnificent work of speculative fiction that offers a portrait of a future that is both extraordinary and eerily recognizable. As he did in Anathem, Cryptonomicon, the Baroque Cycle, and Reamde, Stephenson explores some of our biggest ideas and perplexing challenges in a breathtaking saga that is daring, engrossing, and altogether brilliant.

I've recently read Jean Johnson - Theirs not to reason why series and First Salik War (which happens before events of Theirs not to reason why)

First Salik War is written after the first series, but there's references and stuff said in this series that you'll remember when reading the other and say "Oh, wow, how cool is that" or whatever... some things make more sense

Theirs not to reason why : https://www.goodreads.com/series/64944-theirs-not-to-reason-why

...What if you could see the future? What if you foresaw that, three hundred years from your time, your entire galaxy would be destroyed in an overwhelming invasion? What would you do to stop it, when it would all happen long after you were dead and gone?

These are the questions that Ia must face, and the obstacles she must overcome. Spurred by her teenaged visions of an apocalyptic future, the young heavyworlder woman seeks to set up a series of events, a domino-chain of actions and repercussions that will hopefully stop the coming invaders long after her time has passed. But in order to do so, she must enter the military and engage in a four-front war: an old, barely contained enemy whose twin goals of galactic conquest and lunch terrify all sane sentients; an ancient foe whose technology vastly outstrips anything the Alliance can fling at it; a fanatic, xenophobic religious movement on her homeworld which Ia dares not stop; and her ongoing battle against Time itself.

If Ia fails, the stars and planets of the Milky Way will cease to exist, and so will the countless lives that depend on them. But the odds of her winning the ultimate battle are very, very small, when even the slightest, most innocent-seeming misstep could domino down through time in the wrong way, and doom untold septillions of sentients to a dark and terrifying fall. Bound by the ice of her duty, burned by the fires of her conscience, driven by what she foresees, Ia must become the herald of death herself:

The soldier known as Bloody Mary.

First Salik War : https://www.goodreads.com/series/141957-first-salik-war

Jean Johnson's first novel in an explosive new science fiction trilogy set in the world of the national bestselling Theirs Not to Reason Why series—set two-hundred years earlier, at the dawn of the First Salik War…

Born into a political family and gifted with psychic abilities, Jacaranda MacKenzie has served as a border-watcher and even spent time as a representative on the United Planets Council. Now she just wants to spend her days in peace and quiet as a translator—but the universe has other plans…

Humans have long known that they would encounter more alien species, and while those with precognitive abilities agree a terrible war is coming, they do not agree on who will save humanity—a psychic soldier or a politician.

But Jackie is both.

After she is pressured into rejoining the Space Force to forestall the impending calamity, Jackie makes an unsettling discovery. Their new enemy, the Salik, seem to be rather familiar with fighting Humans—as if their war against humanity had already begun…

Excellent series, though the writer can be very very descriptive and in some places it can be boring when you read 3-5 pages about one minor thing in the story.

First Salik War is a kind of first contact series, where humanity makes contact with other civilizations and how they deal with the events that happen.

Theirs not to reason why is about a woman with some supernatural abilities including precognition, which has to use all her abilities to save the galaxy from being destroyed a few hundred years in the future.

Just read Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. Think it still is relevant today despite being written in... wow, I didn't realize it was published in 1953!

On 8/2/2019 at 5:38 AM, Volbet said:

I guess I have a thing for dystopias.

Same, haha. Not sure why. Something about them just seems kind of intriguing? Not sure if that's the right word.

Coming from the guy who read The Maze Runner and The Fifth Wave trilogies in the space of two weeks.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If my post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // PSU Tier List // Bugs and Issues // Tech News Posting Guidelines // How to use the forum // Join Floatplane! // Floatplane Support Wizard // Join the LTT Official Discord // How To Get Used PC Parts Cheaper Than Ebay or Craigslist // Intel HEDT Discussion //

The last book I finished was the second book of Artemis Fowl. I'm currently reading The Stand by Stephen King

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MB:ASUS TUF Gaming B450M-Plus RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 SE MOUSE: Corsair M65 Pro RGB HEADSET: Corsair Void Pro RGB

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i3 6100 GPU: NONE MB: Gigabyte GA-B150M-DS3H RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Same as Main

nineteen eighty four, timeless classic. and asmov's too, especially his short stories, like flower for algernon and the last question.

id like to read one book called the dictator's handbook. someone recommended to me and judging by the amazon discription im quite into it.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

"Zgroza w Dunwich i inne przerażające opowieści" by Lovecrft

It's a polish title, I'm not sure the english one is probably something like  "The Dunwich Horror and other scary stories" ( literal translation).