Memory speed struck at 2133 Mhz, 9900k MSI Z-390 Ace

Hello everyone, I am with a 9900k CPU, MSI Z390 Ace Motherboard, 4* 8G Corsair Vengeance 3000 Memory. I have XMP enabled in BIOS as you can see from the linked photos. However my memory speed struck at 2133 Mhz as you can see from the images I linked. 

I am aware of this post 

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1067808-ram-stuck-at-2133/

However, unlike that one, my memory speed in CPU-Z is also displayed as 2133. So what may be the problem? 

Thank you very much for reading. 

CPU-Z-Memory.png

CPU-Z-SPD.png

BIOS-Memory Info.jpg

BIOS-Memory XMP1.jpg

BIOS-Memory XMP2.jpg

4 minutes ago, DorianaCele said:

Hello everyone, I am with a 9900k CPU, MSI Z390 Ace Motherboard, 4* 8G Corsair Vengeance 3000 Memory. I have XMP enabled in BIOS as you can see from the linked photos. However my memory speed struck at 2133 Mhz as you can see from the images I linked. 

I am aware of this post 

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1067808-ram-stuck-at-2133/

However, unlike that one, my memory speed in CPU-Z is also displayed as 2133. So what may be the problem? 

Thank you very much for reading. 

CPU-Z-Memory.png

I have your same issue,,, My mates rig 470 Gigabyte Gaming Ultra is stuck at 2133Mhz and we can't do anything in BIOS or with Easy Tune to fix it.  We got it once to 3200Mhz but not anymore.  AMD is retarded, now I see why I never got a AMD system for myself.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

1 minute ago, Turtle Rig said:

I have your same issue,,, My mates rig 470 Gigabyte Gaming Ultra is stuck at 2133Mhz and we can't do anything in BIOS or with Easy Tune to fix it.  We got it once to 3200Mhz but not anymore.  AMD is retarded, now I see why I never got a AMD system for myself.

*shakes hands* But I am with an Intel CPU... So I guess it is not a CPU issue. 

Also I've never had XMP enabled, I just set the speed to my target, in my case 3200MHz.

Sadly I can't check the BIOS on my board cuz the new one changed the UI to a simpler "Click BIOS" for the AM4 platform.

In the end you could just try "Memory Try It!" and see if it does anything.

我は汝。。。汝は我。。。我は汝の心のより出ずる者。。。

1 minute ago, Munchboy said:

In the end you could just try "Memory Try It!" and see if it does anything.

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually I have tried it along with several other possible solutions. None worked and RAM speed always struck at 2133.

2 minutes ago, DorianaCele said:

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually I have tried it along with several other possible solutions. None worked and RAM speed always struck at 2133.

Not sure, maybe also try upping the DRAM voltage.

Oh, before that, try using just a single DIMM and check if a single one can get higher on it's own.

我は汝。。。汝は我。。。我は汝の心のより出ずる者。。。

Update: 

I studied the BIOS and found the suggested timing of the memory as shown in the image "Timing-XMP". Then I manually changed the timing and voltage of the memory according to that profile as shown in  image "Manually Tweaked TIming". However, after reboot, CPU-Z still reads the timing as the default value, as shown in image "CPU-Z after BIOS tweak". I have noticed that those values CPU-Z showed are exactly the same as the default timings found in the ROM of the memory module shown in image "Timing-Default" 

So, the apparent conclusion is that the changes I do about memory timing in BIOS have no effect at all. However, the changes I do to CPU does take effect. So can anyone offer some insight? Thank you so much. 

Timing-Default.jpg

CPU-Z after BIOS tweak.png

Manually Tweaked Timing.jpg

Timing-XMP.jpg

@DorianaCele

When you enable XMP and save-and-exit, does the computer reboot a few times before making it into Windows?

If so, it could be that the CPU / motherboard is unstable with DDR4-3000 MHz.

What happens if you maintain the XMP timings + voltage, but MANULLY drop the RAM frequency to say... DDR4-2666.

Does the computer still boot into Windows with RAM set to DDR4-2666 MHz?

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

8 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

When you enable XMP and save-and-exit, does the computer reboot a few times before making it into Windows?

If so, it could be that the CPU / motherboard is unstable with DDR4-3000 MHz.

No, the system enters Windows normally. 

8 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

What happens if you maintain the XMP timings + voltage, but MANULLY drop the RAM frequency to say... DDR4-2666.

Does the computer still boot into Windows with RAM set to DDR4-2666 MHz?

I tried to set the RAM frequency to 2000, 2400, 2666, 2933, 3200, and the results are the same: the system boot into Windows normally, with exact same CPU-Z readings of 2133 shown above, as if nothing has been changed in BIOS. But in BIOS settings the changes are saved.

• 1 year later...
On 8/1/2019 at 7:54 PM, DorianaCele said:

No, the system enters Windows normally. 

I tried to set the RAM frequency to 2000, 2400, 2666, 2933, 3200, and the results are the same: the system boot into Windows normally, with exact same CPU-Z readings of 2133 shown above, as if nothing has been changed in BIOS. But in BIOS settings the changes are saved.

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? Im having an identical issue identical board and I know of only one way to "force" XMP timings, it's break fix only - more on that below. At the end of the day I'm thinking this could very well be a motherboard problem and you should get your mobo RMAd. That's what Im going to do, because this Z390 ace is lacking in quality. Don't get me wrong, it has a great feature set. But to give you an idea:

Mobo is nearly brand new. No more than 80 hours run time on it since it was taken out of the box in early 2020.

-The digital code display in the upper corner fell apart. Literally.  Which means, I'm severely limited in my troubleshooting or situational awareness, because you cant tell what sequence you are in during the boot process!

-I lost primary PCIe slot randomly out of the blue. Just decided to **** the bed on me while it was still LIKE NEW. Consequently, I have to run my massive RX 5700 XT (Gaming X 8GB) on the secondary PCIe slot, which means the fans are really super close to the bottom of the case. Because if this problem, I can no longer game until I get my board RMAd. Which sucks because it love to be taking advantage of all that horsepower wrapped up in the 5700 XT package. Because the GPU is nearly touching the bottom of the case, it can't efficiently pull as much air through while gaming, as I said, this sucks.

-The board has random times when it just decides to reboot itself on startup, out of the blue. Like Ill turn it on and then the display will lite up for about 2 seconds, then it goes blank and reboots again. Very annoying. 

I definitely would call myself an MSI "believer" but this is just beyond one simple little issue. As you can see, all these problems have happened to my system WITH A MOTHERBOARD THAT HAS NO MORE THAT TWO WEEKS RUNNING TIME ON IT!

Now, on to the solution. Forgive the rant. To fix this you need to do a cold shutdown by pressing the CMOS reset button on the back of the motherboard to restore defaults. So hold the button down for about 4 seconds and eventually the rig will shut down, and fair warning, it will take all your BIOS settings with it, you've been warned!

Next boot into the bios and immediately enable XMP don't touch any other setting until you reboot. Go back into the BIOS after first reboot and you should see the ram running at full speed now. 

Granted, this fix is a little sticky, but it's better than nothing. And dont expect to save it to a profile because that doesn't work either. So do XMP before anything else after a hard reset, okay? This is a little like trying to catch lightning in a bottle. ps try reseating your memory as well. if you have 4 slots try the other two. 

A 300$ motherboard, and this garbage to deal with? WOW MSI I'm blown away. Very good board from a feature perspective but quality control has gone to hell. At least with this board.

Hardware and Overclocking Enthusiast

Could it be that you guys are putting four dimms in a dual channel system?  With some motherboards it limits the memory speed if you do this. It's better to have just two sticks; one per channel.

I'm trying to figure out whether this is going to affect my motherboard, and how badly.

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

dual channel is for 4 memory sticks, 2 sticks interleaved per channel.

• 2 months later...
On 8/22/2020 at 4:42 PM, Storm-Chaser said:

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? Im having an identical issue identical board and I know of only one way to "force" XMP timings, it's break fix only - more on that below. At the end of the day I'm thinking this could very well be a motherboard problem and you should get your mobo RMAd. That's what Im going to do, because this Z390 ace is lacking in quality. Don't get me wrong, it has a great feature set. But to give you an idea:

Mobo is nearly brand new. No more than 80 hours run time on it since it was taken out of the box in early 2020.

-The digital code display in the upper corner fell apart. Literally.  Which means, I'm severely limited in my troubleshooting or situational awareness, because you cant tell what sequence you are in during the boot process!

-I lost primary PCIe slot randomly out of the blue. Just decided to **** the bed on me while it was still LIKE NEW. Consequently, I have to run my massive RX 5700 XT (Gaming X 8GB) on the secondary PCIe slot, which means the fans are really super close to the bottom of the case. Because if this problem, I can no longer game until I get my board RMAd. Which sucks because it love to be taking advantage of all that horsepower wrapped up in the 5700 XT package. Because the GPU is nearly touching the bottom of the case, it can't efficiently pull as much air through while gaming, as I said, this sucks.

-The board has random times when it just decides to reboot itself on startup, out of the blue. Like Ill turn it on and then the display will lite up for about 2 seconds, then it goes blank and reboots again. Very annoying. 

I definitely would call myself an MSI "believer" but this is just beyond one simple little issue. As you can see, all these problems have happened to my system WITH A MOTHERBOARD THAT HAS NO MORE THAT TWO WEEKS RUNNING TIME ON IT!

Now, on to the solution. Forgive the rant. To fix this you need to do a cold shutdown by pressing the CMOS reset button on the back of the motherboard to restore defaults. So hold the button down for about 4 seconds and eventually the rig will shut down, and fair warning, it will take all your BIOS settings with it, you've been warned!

Next boot into the bios and immediately enable XMP don't touch any other setting until you reboot. Go back into the BIOS after first reboot and you should see the ram running at full speed now. 

Granted, this fix is a little sticky, but it's better than nothing. And dont expect to save it to a profile because that doesn't work either. So do XMP before anything else after a hard reset, okay? This is a little like trying to catch lightning in a bottle. ps try reseating your memory as well. if you have 4 slots try the other two. 

A 300$ motherboard, and this garbage to deal with? WOW MSI I'm blown away. Very good board from a feature perspective but quality control has gone to hell. At least with this board.

You are a lifesaver. This is a perfect solution. Crazy that the mobo needs such a fix but this is working 100%. Thanks mate.