What did you DO?? - The "Jellyfish Fryer" All-SSD Server

JonoT

You could buy Stornado with drives and ready to go for 35K. thats with 32 3.8TB drives and 4x10GB nics.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

He mentions the coming FreeNAS updated contains optimizations for SSD performance. Will it also include the direct-attached function to make it "like a jelly fish"? This is actually exactly how I'm using my freeNAS system right now. I have my FreeNAS box and PC connected to each other over Fiber and static IPs on the NICs to make them see each other. I would love to be able to plug straight in for some of my clients instead of hard-coding IP addresses.

Here it is generally also a question of opportunity cost.

If one makes money on doing X and needs Y to do it. Then it is a question of how much time will one need to make Y oneself, and how much value do one lose on not doing X while working on Y. If the value of that time is more then an off the shelf solution, then an off the shelf solution can be very logical.

Then it is also a question of expertise, tech support, overall reliability, and what type of application one will use the solution for.

But yes, the jelly fish isn't that outrageously priced per say.

Though, I do have to say that their pricing is "weird" when it comes to network ports.

• They offer the unit with 2x 10Gb/s ports as standard, for 34 995$
  • If one wants 3-4 editors working on it, then it costs 36 195 $ and comes with 4x 10Gb/s ports. That is an extra 1200 bucks for 2 ports... (One can get a quad port 10Gb/s card for about half that...)
  • If one wants 5-6 editors, then they offer a 2x 10Gb/s + 4x 1Gb/s. Really? 1Gb/s? for four editors to share? Well, at least it only costs an extra 600 $ for that quad port gigbit card... (since the 2x 10Gb/s ports are already included as standard...) One can also pay an extra 1400$ if one wants all 6 ports to be 10Gb/s. (Do note, we needed to pay 200 bucks less, for two fewer ports in the 3-4 editor option... (Though, unless the 1400 extra is on top of the already 600 extra, but then one can still buy a quad port 10Gb/s card for about 600-800 bucks....))

Then the port pricing madness continues from there on....

Okay for charging extra for the service of installing and configuring these extra ports, but more then double the price is a bit steep for some network ports...

Charging a premium for the storage I can understand, but charging between 2-3 times more for a network card is a bit brave...

Though, it would have been nicer if one could tell the website how many of each type of port one needs, instead of the ambiguous "number of editors" that gives an assortment of 10 and 1 Gb/s ports... And then charge something "reasonable" for those ports... (600 bucks for a quad 1Gb/s Ethernet card is just stupendous, they cost only about 50-100$ retail.)

Super Important Question:

Can I add 1 or 2 extra drives, that take the place of a failed drive instantly? I dont sit around 24/7 around a NAS to change a damaged drive. I assume the 0.02% assume you swap instantly.

Also is there an emergency shutdown or option, when there are several drive failures in a short amount of time?

I was totally trolled by the cap. Until Linus span it around I was SURE it was a Blue Jays one, stolen from Alex, just to get the right aesthetic  ???

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

16 minutes ago, Ceru said:

Can I add 1 or 2 extra drives, that take the place of a failed drive instantly?

This type of spare drive is called a hot spare.

It will jump in as fast as another drive fails. And you could logically have as many of these drives that you desire.

Though, if you use a RAID 5 setup with a hot spare, then you could just as well go with RAID 6. (RAID 5 has 1 drive worth of redundancy, RAID 6 has two. (ie RAID 6 is harder to lose) Though, a RAID 50 is though a different beast. But drives tends to be "cheap", so one can as well go to RAID 60 in most cases...)

If LACP wasn't working, couldn't you do 4 vlans with three computers per?

As much as I love LTT server videos this one felt very aimless to me. I never knew what point it was trying to get at. I'm guessing it was probably just something quickly knocked out in the pre-LTX chaos?

If you want good hardware recommendations, please tell us how you intend to use the hardware. There's rarely a single correct answer.

Where could I find some of the SSD based FreeNAS optimizations?

47 minutes ago, NVME said:

Where could I find some of the SSD based FreeNAS optimizations?

will be coming in an update soon,

1 hour ago, Cyanara said:

As much as I love LTT server videos this one felt very aimless to me. I never knew what point it was trying to get at. I'm guessing it was probably just something quickly knocked out in the pre-LTX chaos?

He was trying to say go get a 45 drives machines or another custom box, these make 0 sense. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 hour ago, Cyanara said:

He want to prove that you can built a server yourself without rely on a third party vendor to do everything for you with obnoxious price, but acknowledge that Jellyfish server's price are reasonable enough for people to considering paying more for companies with little time to built servers.

Can someone link to these "SSD optimizations" on ixsystems JIRA page? Because I am not seeing anything for 11.3 relating to SSD optimizations.

2 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

will be coming in an update soon,

He was trying to say go get a 45 drives machines or another custom box, these make 0 sense. 

This update they discussed on FreeNAS for solid state pools - I cant even find details of what this might be - anything - do you have any info you can point me to on whats coming?

Thanks!

29 minutes ago, Bizarro2522 said:

This update they discussed on FreeNAS for solid state pools - I cant even find details of what this might be - anything - do you have any info you can point me to on whats coming?

Thanks!

I'm not sure, sorry.

11 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

I'm not sure, sorry.

Thanks - no problem, if anyone else knows whats coming please link here :)

If Linus ever starts selling Servers, Riley absolutely must be the tech support guy.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Curious - Linus tries to set new server records now and then, but LTT never seem to dive into SDDC setups (Software Defined DataCenter) which would easily go to 4-13 million IOPS for the same price as a jellyfish (For example, a three node cluster without RAIDcards - which are not needed anymore or switches (using RDMA straight into the ram for 40-100Gbit networking) and NV storage. There isn't a faster/more economical way of scaling then that. The traditional SAN solutions would go at maybe 4000-10.000 IOPS at most. 

In a three node setup you would have failover/speed with an incredible uptime for 30-50.000. It would easily outperform a normal SAN solution anytime. You can even setup and scale different types of nodes (such as networking, disk and CPU seperatly. Need more space? Just slam in another storage server with crap CPU/RAM and link it up with RDMA). 

And as for rending videos - one could have seperate rending servers with no harddrives and just scale that part as neccessary with SDDC and link them up with RDMA. 

@JonoT - Would be cool if you guys could test out SDDC in a future video. 

/V

13 hours ago, Vincent090 said:

@JonoT - Would be cool if you guys could test out SDDC in a future video. 

/V

Suggest it here:

:D

@JonoT On the LACP that didn't performed as expected. Did you guys configured the switch to use destination MAC Address algorithm for load balancing instead of source MAC address? The default is source MAC address (in many vendors) and that will correlate with your results.

Have a read here and search for default you will see it right away.

Let me know.

Best regards,

CD

What utter crap, the Stornado is not DIY, it's a pro system built buy an enterprise vendor.

Suggestions:

1.- I would love to read the budget by parts on screen and at the youtube notes.

2.- I would love to watch an Open Media Vault vs FreeNAS benchmark for this and other NAS

3.- I would like to watch SOHO NAS configurations, and benchmarks

from those made with rk3399 boards to latest low spec x86 computers

to those that are WiFi hard drives with battery vs DIY solutions

All of that with budget benchmarking tips and tricks, and some

virtual machines, containers and services as Nextcloud in a OMV container

I think once a month something about SOHO NAS would be great

as your public are SOHO users.

Thanks in advance for  taking into consideration these suggestions 

and thanks for your informing while entertaining  videos