Having a desktop in a college dorm

Fuzzleworth1

So I'm heading off to college in about 7 weeks and plan on taking my desktop with me. What are some "lifehacks" or tips about having a desktop in a college dorm?

CPU: Intel I5-7500 

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master ML240

Motherboard: ASRock B250M PRO 4

Memory: 16GB Patriot Viper Elite

Gpu: Asus Dual 1060 3GB

Storage: Corsair 120GB M.2 NVME

500GB Samsung 860 EVO

1TB WD Blue

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+Bronze

Case: Phanteks P350X

Monitors: HP Omen 25in 144hz

and some 25in Acer

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX RGB

Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro

Headphones= VModa Crossfade Wireless(but used wired)

Speakers: Some janky speakers I jerry-rigged

- Use wired ethernet connection in the dorm room. The WiFi is likely to be overloaded with all the students, particularly in the evening/night.

- Use internet sharing on your desktop and connect your laptop via WiFi to get seamless internet without using the public WiFi. If anyone asks, you're using it to transfer files.

- Look into using a VPN. The school has access to snoop on your internet habits and will have rules regarding the use of the network. 

- Make sure you have a good password and lock your computer when you leave it, even if just for a moment.

- See if there are any gaming clubs on campus. Go to LAN parties and game competitions if that's your thing. Some clubs may even have game servers hosted on campus.

- Don't sit in your dorm room on the computer every minute you're not in class. Go out and explore. Meet new people. Try new things. Get out of your comfort zone.

19 hours ago, Cypher-Jackson said:

Lifehack: Get an Acer Swift/Asus Zenbook instead of a desktop

1. Maybe OP doesn't want to deal with selling a desktop and buying a laptop?

2. Maybe OP can't get a good laptop even if he wanted to sell his desktop?

3. Maybe OP needs more power that he can't get even in a workstation/gaming laptop?

4. Those laptops aren't very good. If OP had to get a laptop, I would recommend a Thinkpad, partly because they're very easy to just dock and have multiple monitors and external everything.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1. Get good surge protectors, don't overload them.

2. Use ethernet, especially if your campus has Fiber.

3. Set up an account or use a laptop with no games installed to prevent distractions.

4. Consider how your desk will be laid out, space is a premium. 

5. Go outside, meet people, enjoy campus activities.

(All things said with hindsight 20/20) 

Tips, assuming confined space.

Wall mount the monitor on an arm that swings out and rotates, so it can face you, not your roommates. While also freeing desk space, and enabling you to push it away against the wall if need be.

You're likely going to get a pretty small desk, something like 35 or so inches wide and maybe 20 inches deep. So be sure you have space to set your keyboard and mouse aside since you'll likely have to keep the tower on the desk.

Invest in pair of headphones or earbuds. Not only for your sake to keep the noise to where you want it, but so you don't dump noise out to your dormmates.

As a precaution, make obvious and permanent markings on key components of your computer in case of theft. Also with that in mind, assume your data can be lost at any time, so find a way to have a backup somewhere.

Edited by Mira Yurizaki

• Encrypt with VeraCrypt in case it gets stolen. Windows password will lock people out but if they take your drive, they can easily get full access.
  • If your case has a chassis lockout then use it.
  • Make sure your fans are all set to 100% at all times so it's nice and loud.

This is fine, when I went to dorm I also brought along my desktop as a main computer.

It would be convenient to have an additional laptop or tablet though 

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

9 hours ago, svpracer98 said:

Set up an account or use a laptop with no games installed to prevent distractions.

Wow I never thought of that! I have both a laptop and a desktop so that makes it very easy.

7 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Invest in pair of headphones or earbuds.

Already got em? Vmoda Crossfade wireless(used wired)

8 hours ago, Chett_Manly said:

Wall mount the monitor on an arm

I'm not allowed to put stuff on the wall, but my monitors are currently on a desk mount stand that attaches to the back 

9 hours ago, svpracer98 said:

Use ethernet

Luckily mine has it right next to the desk!

Thanks everyone for to suggestions!

CPU: Intel I5-7500 

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master ML240

Motherboard: ASRock B250M PRO 4

Memory: 16GB Patriot Viper Elite

Gpu: Asus Dual 1060 3GB

Storage: Corsair 120GB M.2 NVME

500GB Samsung 860 EVO

1TB WD Blue

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+Bronze

Case: Phanteks P350X

Monitors: HP Omen 25in 144hz

and some 25in Acer

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX RGB

Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro

Headphones= VModa Crossfade Wireless(but used wired)

Speakers: Some janky speakers I jerry-rigged

On 7/28/2019 at 8:41 PM, Fuzzleworth1 said:

So I'm heading off to college in about 7 weeks and plan on taking my desktop with me. What are some "lifehacks" or tips about having a desktop in a college dorm?

I dunno about "life hacks" as those are usually useless/pointless. but you need to set up a password/code. 

On 7/28/2019 at 8:41 PM, Fuzzleworth1 said:

• Don't let anyone steal/break it.
  • Get some girls (/boys if thats what you're in to) around play some communal games and get drunk/have fun. Don't spend all your down time on a computer.

Would recommend noise cancelling headphones cos sometimes other people will make too much noise

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),