PC crashing with black screen and buzzing in beadphones, leaving the only option to restart it from button

Hello,

I have built my PC one week ago with the following specs:

Specs:

* CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 running stock
* GPU: RX 480 8GB Sapphire Nitro+ OC (2nd hand) running stock, 1306MHz clock speed and 2000MHz Memory
* SSD: Kingston A400 480GB
* RAM: 2 x ADATA XPG Gammix D10 Red 8GB DDR4 3000MHz CL16 running stock at 2666MHz
* MB: Asus TUF B450-M Gaming
* Power supply:  Corsair VS Series VS550 550W

Temperatures during gaming:

* CPU: 70 degrees, max 73
* GPU: 80, max 83 degrees at 100% load all the time

I am having trouble with my build as I get those random black screens when gaming (Apex Legends and PUBG) where my PC is freezing, buzzing in headphones and after 3-4 seconds, the monitor is turning off, the peripherals are turning off but the PC is still running, leaving the only option to restart. 

There is no error displaying, event log doesn't catch anything, no BSOD, but after the login to Windows 10,  I get the  "Wattman restored the default settings due to unexpected system failure" error. I have never touched Wattman whatsoever. I am running Adrenalin 2019 19.5.2 driver.

Memtest didn't return any error, Furmark doesn't crash.

What should I do? I am so frustrated by this issue that I feel like returning every part and getting my money back.

Here are some of the possible fixes:

1) Try checking all the connections(HDMI, USB) etc.

2) Update all the drivers 

3) Try updating the BIOS may also help

4) Try reinstalling the game  

5 minutes ago, SKAI123 said:

Here are some of the possible fixes:

1) Try checking all the connections(HDMI, USB) etc.

2) Update all the drivers 

3) Try updating the BIOS may also help

4) Try reinstalling the game  

Hello, I have checked the connections, even inside the case for the pins, everything is tight. The new driver Adrenalin 2019 19.7.3 gives me the same symptoms. BIOS has the latest version from ASUS and that leaves me with reinstalling the games. I find it odd that both games do this.

Have you tried disabling any antiviruses? 

I don't have any antivirus except from Windows Defender.

1 minute ago, Dwyde said:

I don't have any antivirus except from Windows Defender.

Do you have a sound card installed? Some faulty ones may cause audio problems and crashing

3 minutes ago, SKAI123 said:

Do you have a sound card installed? Some faulty ones may cause audio problems and crashing

Just the one the motherboard has...

However, it seems that the system seems a bit more stable after changing the Global Wattman settings and lowering the Clock speed from 1306MHz to 1265MHz in STATE 7 Max, the voltage control from 1168mV to 1118mV also in STATE 7 Max and lowering the memory frequency from 2000MHz to 1950MHz

I will be returning the GPU tomorrow and get it replaced with another one because for me, it seems that this is a GPU problem. I even tried to use an older version of the driver, currently on 19.5.2 (was on 19.7.3) and still got the crash. I get crashes even if I OC the RAM to 3000MHz and also if I leave it on default at 2666MHz

Thats the right call. Based on your description it sounds like the GPU is failing when it tries to boost the clocks while gaming. the reason furmark doesn't crash is the type of load a synthetic burn test like that puts on the gpu means the driver doesn't try to boost the clocks as high.

• 2 weeks later...

the GPU was the issue. Got another RX 480 Sapphire Nitro+ OC and it works flawlessly now.