Ryzen 5 3600 High Idle Temp and Gaming

Hi guys is it normal to have a high idle temp? jumps aroung 45 C to 55 C. Then When Gaming Im reaching 80 C. Stock cooler btw. Do I need a new cooler?

80C is fine under sustained gaming load. As long as the CPU temps aren't causing you to throttle and lose performance.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

seems to be a common issue with the 3000 series, early adopter woes.

Hopefully bios/chipset/firmware/driver revisions will help fix that

If its the stock cooler and depending on what your ambient temps are and how good the air flow in the case is I guess that could be normal ish. Sounds a bit high to me but kind of hard to tell without seeing it. I am sure with a little work and/or better cooler you could get it lower though.

I have high idle temps on my 3600x i got yesterday. ~50celsius desktop. And cinebench max was 71c, battlefield 5 10min gameplay around 65c.. i have noctua nh-d15 cooler.  Also voltages seems quite high on default. Like 1.43-1.45V. Also tried to reapply thermal paste but I think it was just fine, no change..

4 hours ago, raven123 said:

Hi guys is it normal to have a high idle temp? jumps aroung 45 C to 55 C. Then When Gaming Im reaching 80 C. Stock cooler btw. Do I need a new cooler?

the stock cooler that comes with the 3600 is adequate but it is small so it leads to higher temps. Even the better stock cooler that comes with the 3600x...although better and again adequate, really isn't that good. I tested my 3600x with a cheap $24 Thermaltake Contac Silent 12 tower cooler and it completely outperformed the stock cooler by a mile. Dropped my temps 20c testing with prime95 blended test. I was so impressed that I left it on. My assumption is that this cooler will have similar performance to a Cooler master Hyper 212

this one: https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Contac-Silent-Support-CL-P039-AL12BL/dp/B06X9Q1K88/ref=sr_1_1?crid=O0QP0B70TKJ1&keywords=thermaltake+silent+12&qid=1564117409&s=gateway&sprefix=thermaltake+sil%2Caps%2C145&sr=8-1

One other thing I didn't like about the stock cooler was that it was whiny and a little loud for my liking. The thermaltake contac silent 12 is very quiet in comparison

Ryzen 3700x w/ Arctic Cooling 34 eSports DUO || MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC || GSkill DDR4 3200 CL14 @ 3600 16-16-16 || EVGA 2070 XC Gaming || WD Black 1T NVME, WD Black 2T 7200 rpm || EVGA SuperNova 750 G1+

Welcome to the 3600. Mine was awful as well and I changed the cooler out. It was in the 80’s and wouldn’t allow my cpu to stay at 4.2ghz. 

I put a Corsair h100i platinum on it and now the temps don’t go past 60c and it stays at 4.2ghz while gaming. 

Unfortunately that’s the way it is with that stock cooler 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

Seems about right really..

Just built my system last night with a 3800x using the NZXT Kraken x62.. my lows are prob at best mid 40s, my current issue is that the temp can be all over the place. One second its in the 40s then all of a sudden the CPU seems to boost up for no reason and pop the temp jumps up 20 and the fans kick in big time. That's with the computer doing nothing, it seems ok when gaming staying in the mid 70s most of the time. Did not get a chance to upgrade the bios at all on my mobo or get windows to the latest version so will do all that today.

I guess with the stock cooler then 50c idle seems about right.

Also just been reading about how some monitoring software is coursing the AMD CPUs to boost up a bit so are never truly at idle. So could also be why the idle temps are a bit high.. 

I'm having similar issues with my 3600 as well. I put on some good thermal paste and have a Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 (non pro). Temps are consistently in the 50s at idle and reach up to 80 under load. It's in an X470 board. My previous combo (1600 + Asus B350 Strix gaming) would stay in the upper 60s under load. I have objectively better cooling right now too with a Fractal Define Meshify C instead of my previous Define C...I also have better fans up front. And yes, I know how to apply thermal paste. I think AMD has some huge bugs to fix on this release. Not only are these temp issues irregular (I wonder if it's a reporting issue like they had at the launch of first gen?) but also Ryzen 3000 won't work on any Linux distro released this year.

Hmm, my 3600 really isn't any hotter than my 1500x was. Maybe a few degrees, but nothing insane for sure.

3800x here and it's the same. In balance power mode the CPU idles at 1.4 volts average and temps are like 45 degrees on average. Cooler is Noctua DH-15. It's like the CPU just doesn't want to go really idle.
Switching to power saving mode fixes it though. Voltages in power saving are like 0.9 and temps 35 while idle.

1 hour ago, David111cz said:

3800x here and it's the same. In balance power mode the CPU idles at 1.4 volts average and temps are like 45 degrees on average. Cooler is Noctua DH-15. It's like the CPU just doesn't want to go really idle.
Switching to power saving mode fixes it though. Voltages in power saving are like 0.9 and temps 35 while idle.

Yeah but using power saving really hits performance. What I do is switch to power saving when browsing and then go balance plan when doing heav stuff like gaming

At launch I posted about this and someone didn’t believe me here. The temps are all over the damn place and they aren’t low.   

They said if you have more then one thing monitoring temps it will keep the cpu from going idle. So if you have ICue open and ryzen master or hwinfo somehow the cpu thinks it under load and sends more voltage and boosts speed and temps. 

The box cooler that comes with the 3600 is awful. Idk about the other cpu stock coolers but my 3600 cooler was garbage, I even put new thermal paste and put the cooler back on thinking the stock paste was junk. 

I saw someone say something about airflow and ambient temps being a factor. My house is at 70F and in a fractal design focus g case with 5 Corsair ml120 fans and a strix 3 fan rtx 2060 it was still getting hot so you can’t blame airflow or ambient temp in my situation. I had $160 worth of fans in a mesh front panel case with a strix card. 

Early adopter woes I suppose. Either way I’m more then happy with the performance increase I got going from 1st gen to 3rd gen ryzen. With the h100i I rarely ever see it go above 60c while gaming for hours, with the stock cooler it was in the 80’s and throttling my speed to 4ghz sometimes.

Sure it sucks having to use a different cooler but it is what it is, I’m dealing with it and happy with the performance I’m getting after swapping coolers. 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

@raven123 i just managed to boot into bios after like 50tries but im here now but now i cant boot again so yeah thats on msi for there stupid bios updates but i can tell you mine was running at around 30 with stock cooler in bios i would suggest redoing thermal paste

From what I have noticed with my 3600 on a NH-D15S is that some monitoring software appear to the CPU as a workload and the CPU boosts, causing a high idle temperature. I went from using HWINFO to Ryzen Master and my temps went from 40-50C to 28-35C with occasional spikes to 45C when a background process was doing something.

With a pretty lax fan profile (CPU fan speed and case fan speed does not go above 60%) I get 60-70C while gaming and 75C max on realbench stress test.

If anyone is having issues with temperatures, I emplore you to lower PPT by 10-15W (88W is default), in my case, it lowered temperature by 10C and only took a 100 MHz hit to clockspeed. Lowering PPT as some of you may already know is more effective than undervolting and less of a hassle generally. You can easily get 3.6 GHz on a PPT of 44-50W.

TL;DR

- Reduce PPT by 10W or so to reduce CPU temperatures

- Only use CPU-Z + Ryzen master to monitor temperatures - All other software is percieved as a work load

- Stock cooler is not great (its only the wraith stealth, not the spire), the 8700 also had issues with the stock cooler being shite for boosting

On 7/26/2019 at 2:12 AM, Gohardgrandpa said:

Welcome to the 3600. Mine was awful as well and I changed the cooler out. It was in the 80’s and wouldn’t allow my cpu to stay at 4.2ghz. 

I put a Corsair h100i platinum on it and now the temps don’t go past 60c and it stays at 4.2ghz while gaming. 

Unfortunately that’s the way it is with that stock cooler 

Well again I highly suspect this may just be early adapter issues, the stock cooler may not be at issue here.

I mean yeah if you want to do serious overclocking get a better cooler but the stock coolers for the ryzen series seem to be very decent for what they are, certainly better then the intel ones to be sure.

Again i am reminded when ryzen first came out and high temps were reported on certain platforms and setups.

BIOS and chipset revisions changed that.

1 hour ago, CrazieChipmunk said:

@raven123 i just managed to boot into bios after like 50tries but im here now but now i cant boot again so yeah thats on msi for there stupid bios updates but i can tell you mine was running at around 30 with stock cooler in bios i would suggest redoing thermal paste

What board are you using? Im using the msi b450 pro carbon ac. and I can boot just fine. My only problem is the spiking voltage and temp. Also my bios is the gse lite. Where Can I see the cpu temp in that?

On 7/26/2019 at 3:19 AM, caldrin said:

Seems about right really..

Just built my system last night with a 3800x using the NZXT Kraken x62.. my lows are prob at best mid 40s, my current issue is that the temp can be all over the place. One second its in the 40s then all of a sudden the CPU seems to boost up for no reason and pop the temp jumps up 20 and the fans kick in big time. That's with the computer doing nothing, it seems ok when gaming staying in the mid 70s most of the time. Did not get a chance to upgrade the bios at all on my mobo or get windows to the latest version so will do all that today.

I guess with the stock cooler then 50c idle seems about right.

Also just been reading about how some monitoring software is coursing the AMD CPUs to boost up a bit so are never truly at idle. So could also be why the idle temps are a bit high.. 

maybe try fan smoothing to 3,8s

On 7/27/2019 at 7:22 PM, brucechow said:

maybe try fan smoothing to 3,8s

Changed the fan profiles around a bit so its a lot better now.. I guess they way these CPUs work is just a lot different to what im used to. Had an i7 5820k before this and the temp would only really start to jump up on that under full load and was pretty gradual.. these new AMD CPUs just seem to jump up 20c anytime they have a sniff at doing anything haha.

• 1 year later...

For all of You:

In windows turn on Task Manager and leave it workin in background - best when Users tab inside is selected. Now check temps and W from wall 😄 

ps. I'm on stock cooler, stock settings and even LLC set to extreme on ASUS Prime B450-Plus and Ryzen 2600X, no fans on case on but, it's my custom made 😉