IPS or TN for a new gaming monitor

Privatech
Go to solution Solved by Turtle Rig,
1 minute ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Get an IPS panel. Even at 24" you'll likely see off-angle color changes even if you're looking at the monitor head on.

Response times are largely meaningless as well these days.

I mean ideally we want IPS, unless the viewing angles don't bother him.  Also IPS is great for gaming but eSports guys use VA and some TN.  It has better response time.  True gamers that don't do photo work or photoshop and want a great bang for buck and fast smooth game play go with VA or even TN.  But if you do any kind of photo work or design or whatever then you should get IPS and it will give you a amazing experience and games will run just fine and smooth as heck.

Hi!

I finally found the right and best components for my new Gaming PC.

I'm upgrading from an Asus TN panel type monitor with 1ms response time and 60 Hz (The monitor will stay with the old computer). But I still haven't decided if I should get  a "fast" and "quick response time" TN panel type or "great color reproduction" IPS panel type monitor.
By now i found two monitors:

• AOC G2460VQ6 (TN panel type)
  • Acer Nitro VG240Y (IPS panel type)

Both of these monitors are claimed to have 60 Hz to 75 Hz refresh rate and 1 ms response tho i have read some reviews and people say the Acer VG240Y monitor in reality has around 9 to 13 ms response time. The monitor's (Acer) specifications also say it has VRB (Visual Response Boost). Also the Acer monitor have bad reputations about their specifications mostly of refresh rate. 

My intentions:

I don't play games competitively but I do like to play racing games such as The Crew and Forza Horizon 4. Im also a developer and a designer/video editor.

I would really appreciate if you can help me and recommend me which type of monitor is the best.

Imo I would go with the AOC, because from other people's stories, Acer can seem unreliable, or not up to par with competitors.

I lurk 

HP Spectre x360 13t late 2019
Core i5 1035g4
8gb ram
256GB NVME SSD
HP 24mh FHD Monitor 

OnePlus 5
Jabra evolve 75
Razer Blackwidow Lite

Steelseries Rival 3

13 minutes ago, Boinbo said:

Imo I would go with the AOC, because from other people's stories, Acer can seem unreliable, or not up to par with competitors.

Ya I got a AOC, First one came for some reason my fonts had red in them so we returned it and bought another one coming from micro center I believe, and it came damaged,, the bezel is all broken not proper.  So I don't trust AOC and will never get anoter AOC monitor.  The cheap bezel is all fuked up I don't know how to say it better.  Then in less then 6 months passed they stopped selling the monitor I got.  You can't find it anywhere.  Why aren't they selling it anymore.  Very fishy.  fuk AOC imo

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

I will never touch AOC with a ten foot pole my friend.  Im telling you with my cheap bezel that is all messed up and botched.  This should never ever happen.  Fuk them if they cant even make a proper bezel then wtf is the point.  Fishy company go with Acer or ASUS or LG

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

27 minutes ago, Privatech said:

I don't play games competitively but I do like to play racing games such as The Crew and Forza Horizon 4. Im also a developer and a designer/video editor.

Get an IPS panel. Even at 24" you'll likely see off-angle color changes even if you're looking at the monitor head on.

1 minute ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

I mean ideally we want IPS, unless the viewing angles don't bother him.  Also IPS is great for gaming but eSports guys use VA and some TN.  It has better response time.  True gamers that don't do photo work or photoshop and want a great bang for buck and fast smooth game play go with VA or even TN.  But if you do any kind of photo work or design or whatever then you should get IPS and it will give you a amazing experience and games will run just fine and smooth as heck.

I'd op for the IPS monitor.

TN has a very small viewing angle so it you swing your chair too far to the side or tend to slump into your seat you'll need to adjust your monitor frequently.

It's honestly not a big deal but on the few times where TN panels do inconvenience you it gets annoying.

Thanks for all the replies. I read some reviews abut Acer IPS  monitors and they say most of them had "Pixel burns" after two weeks or less. Acer also claimed that the monitor has 1 ms response time, in reality it has about 15 ms. I don't like high response times because it makes the game look worse and I do sometimes play fast paced games or FPS casually. I don't want my opponents to have an advantage over me because of response times.In the future I may start to play more competitively. I've chosen to go with a TN panel type since i don't really mind if I have bad color reproduction. My current TN monitor is great and if I do get a second monitor it will be a IPS monitor for designing and such. And yes i have experienced IPS monitors before (18" laptop screen). I mostly focus on developing and not designing (I do it occasionaly).