Sennheiser Hd600

Travis

square_louped_hd_600_01_sq_sennheiser.pn

Price: $399

Sennheiser HD600's are circumaural (around ear), open, headphones. They come with 3.5 to 1/4" adapter for studio monitoring purposes. 
As you may be able to tell by the price I have listed, they are intended for "audiophiles". Many people do not believe in spending a lot on headphones but I think that is because they have never listened to music on good headphones. Keep in mind before buying nice headphones that they will not sound good out of your iPod. These have a 300 ohm impedance and you need an amplifier that can handle that. I am using an Asus Xonar STX sound card with these headphones and make sure all of my music is in FLAC.

Physical: These headphones, like most Sennheisers, are made out of plastic. Many high performance headphones will be made out of some metal but Sennheiser tends to stray away from that. Unfortunately, this gives them a less-than admirable build quality. The head band can be at risk of snapping over time (especially for users with large craniums such as myself). The plastic appears durable though. I have not had any issues yet but it can make transporting them scary.
The headphones have plenty of padding. The padding is cloth and very soft. Comfort will not be an issue with these. Since the ear cups go around your ears, the padding rests on your head and will not cause any ear discomfort like some others may.
I mentioned briefly that these headphones are open. This is the opposite of most headphones these days that focus on noise cancelling. Instead of trapping the noise to your ears, air is allowed to freely move from outside, through the headphones. This is used to create a much more accurate and natural sound to the music. Headphones that trap the sound in can get muffled and distorted. With this being said these headphones will bleed sound. I do not consider this a negative property though because it should be expected when buying open headphones.

Performance: I could sum this up by simply saying it's flawless. Absolutely and positively perfect. They are accurate beyond belief. As I mentioned earlier, they have an open design. This makes them more oriented towards the genre of classical music but they are certainly not limited to it. I have listened to everything from Beethoven to Metallica to Dubstep on these and they make every song sound amazing. Highs are crisp and the lows are just dull enough that they do not overpower anything but still provide a kick that you can feel.

Overall: These are the best headphones I have owned and probably ever will. The only way they could be improved is if they were able to be folded in a way better for storage and made out of a more reliable and sturdy material. Other than that, they are damn near perfect.

I've never really felt that negative about plastic headphone construction. When I wore the Parrot ZIK for a longer period of time I didn't notice the additional weight on my head/neck so much, but what I DID notice was that if I turned suddenly there would be a chance that they would dislodge from my ears because of the wight of the ear cups. 

With that said, there are ways to implement metal construction without adding much weight like what Sennheiser has done with the Momentum headset.

I owned the HD650s for a very short period of time (They are very similar to the 600s).

I have to agree that the sound was incredible.

About the construction  Yes I was worried that the plastic may shatter if I dropped them, for that reason I used the soft foam form the box (The lid section) as a resting spot for them on my desk. I would not consider using these outside as they are far to fragile, big and are open but that was never my plan.

Recommend them to anyone that wants to try out professional audio.

In terms of storage you can buy plastic shells on eBay for £15.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

I've never really felt that negative about plastic headphone construction. When I wore the Parrot ZIK for a longer period of time I didn't notice the additional weight on my head/neck so much, but what I DID notice was that if I turned suddenly there would be a chance that they would dislodge from my ears because of the wight of the ear cups. 

With that said, there are ways to implement metal construction without adding much weight like what Sennheiser has done with the Momentum headset.

I owned the HD650s for a very short period of time (They are very similar to the 600s).

I have to agree that the sound was incredible.

About the construction  Yes I was worried that the plastic may shatter if I dropped them, for that reason I used the soft foam form the box (The lid section) as a resting spot for them on my desk. I would not consider using these outside as they are far to fragile, big and are open but that was never my plan.

Recommend them to anyone that wants to try out professional audio.

In terms of storage you can buy plastic shells on eBay for £15.

I've heard horror stories of the head band snapping. To be fair, who knows what kind of irresponsible people were using them, but it still worries me.

The light weight of the plastic is certainly a positive as well. They are very light on your head. As long as you are respecting your headphones, the plastic will be okay. For $400, I sure hope people take good care of them.

Same as the HD800's.

They are a plastic construction but it makes sense. Sennheiser's goal was for them to be light and comfortable, which I find them to do it just right.

But the sound does make up for the $1500 UDS / $2300 NZ Price tag.

CPU: Intel i7 4790k Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 2400MHz: GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 780 Ti's with ACX cooling PSU: Corsair AX1200 Watt Gold SSD: SanDisk Extreme 120GB SSD (Operating System) SSD: Mushkin Chronos 240GB (Games) Sound card: Creative Sound Blaster ZxR HDD: Seagate 3TB External OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Mouse: Logitech G502 Gaming mouse Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K60 MX Red switches Monitor: ASUS VG248QE 144Hz

• 2 weeks later...

I have owned a couple of Sennheiser headphones including HD25-1 II, HD555, HD650. All of them are made of plastic, but the good thing about the plastic, which Sennheiser uses is: It is very durable, very light and it is not a crisp type of plastic, so when it is bent it does not shatter like glass. That helps making their headphones very long lasting. The HD25-1 II feel very fragile when holding, but trust me, you can throw them around, drop them om the floor and what not - they will not break! If you manage to break them, everything is replaceable at a reasonable price.

Same as the HD800's.

They are a plastic construction (...)

However the plastic in the HD800 is a combined compound of Glass Fiber and plastic (Leona) and has special dampening abilities, which other plastics don't. This helps with resonance and ringing in the housing.

• 3 months later...

Well, I just got some HD650s, and what I noticed is that that headband has a single metal band with a plastic cover that holds the headband cushion.  The actual headband itself is solid, but the headband cover is what likes to crack in two:

51de5d11_DSC_0048_01.jpeg

Much like the AKG K702, it seems solid until you realize it's only as good as it's weakest link.  It also makes the headband rigid and much more difficult for it to react to sudden force and torquing, which makes it even easier to break.

Hopefully, they do for their next HD6xx model what they did to the new HD598 and use that more flexible material for the headband.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."