iPhone XR

RockyRZ
2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

People are Apple fanboys because they like their phones? Huh?

Because they pay extra for a reflective silver Apple logo, and 2015 Mid-Tier android specs.

Just now, EpicWaffles449 said:

Because they pay extra for a reflective silver Apple logo, and 2015 Mid-Tier android specs.

Quick question: what Apple phones have you used in recent memory? And what Android phones have you used in recent memory?

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

Quick question: what Apple phones have you used in recent memory? And what Android phones have you used in recent memory?

Besides every iPhone since the first. I grew out of the brand a long time ago when I realized the price to performance was shite. Been using apple until just about 2 years back.

Besides every iPhone since the first. I grew out of the brand a long time ago when I realized the price to performance was shite. Been using apple until just about 2 years back.

I've got an iPhone 6 Plus and outside of the battery wear really affecting performance to hell, it's been mostly alright. My mom's got a 7 Plus and a few years later, it still feels snappy for the most part. Specs, in terms of raw CPU, GPU, whatever power in phones, is strange because the way iOS and Android handle things is completely different. It's why 2GB of RAM on Android and 2GB on iOS are two completely different can of worms.

I'm not here to trash Android phones, I'm largely here to say that if someone wants to go for an iPhone, here's why they should and here's why they shouldn't consider them.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I've got an iPhone 6 Plus and outside of the battery wear really affecting performance to hell, it's been mostly alright. My mom's got a 7 Plus and a few years later, it still feels snappy for the most part. Specs, in terms of raw CPU, GPU, whatever power in phones, is strange because the way iOS and Android handle things is completely different. It's why 2GB of RAM on Android and 2GB on iOS are two completely different can of worms.

I'm not here to trash Android phones, I'm largely here to say that if someone wants to go for an iPhone, here's why they should and here's why they shouldn't consider them.

Hey, if a muffuff wanna spend a grand on a brand then I can't stop em’. The results don't lie, but in the end preference wins every time. I don't necessarily think iPhones are bad, just that you'd be happier with the extra $250 in your wallet and an android with better specs, just sayin’.

Hey, if a muffuff wanna spend a grand on a brand then I can't stop em’. The results don't lie, but in the end preference wins every time. I don't necessarily think iPhones are bad, just that you'd be happier with the extra $250 in your wallet and an android with better specs, just sayin’.

Meh, chances are high I'd be paying for a phone either in payments or when they're trying to clear them out. Wouldn't be a massive issue for me.

That being said, I'll likely be in the market for a new phone soon and I'll probably keep Android options open, too.

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

Meh, chances are high I'd be paying for a phone either in payments or when they're trying to clear them out. Wouldn't be a massive issue for me.

That being said, I'll likely be in the market for a new phone soon and I'll probably keep Android options open, too.

Agreed. That's reasonable.

1 hour ago, EpicWaffles449 said:

The only thing really mid-tier is the quantity of RAM. While there are only two Big cores, the custom CPU cores are veritable monsters in the mobile realm, able to keep up with even fast x86 CPUs. Those cores in the A11 chew through javascript very nearly as fast as my desktop. Their GPUs also tend to be right about on par with other flagship mobile GPUs if not class-leading (for a bit, as Qualcomm is also really good at making GPUs). And they're using PCIe NVME storage, not exactly a common sight in the Android space.

While there's more than a few downsides to going iPhone (why Apple do you no leik emulation, the iPhone would be ridiculously good at it!), I can assure you that specs are definitely not one of these downsides.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 hour ago, Zodiark1593 said:

The only thing really mid-tier is the quantity of RAM. While there are only two Big cores, the custom CPU cores are veritable monsters in the mobile realm, able to keep up with even fast x86 CPUs. Those cores in the A11 chew through javascript very nearly as fast as my desktop. Their GPUs also tend to be right about on par with other flagship mobile GPUs if not class-leading (for a bit, as Qualcomm is also really good at making GPUs). And they're using PCIe NVME storage, not exactly a common sight in the Android space.

While there's more than a few downsides to going iPhone (why Apple do you no leik emulation, the iPhone would be ridiculously good at it!), I can assure you that specs are definitely not one of these downsides.

I'd like to see a flagship iPhone hit a 2.9Ghz boost (SD855+) and last more than a day on a single charge (4000mAh & above) for under $750 and have USB type-c port, but I think we both know that's going to take Apple another 3 years minimum. Apple has been consistently 3 years behind equivalently priced androids for at least 5 years, and you can't argue with that because its just fact. RAM is not where I'm assuming value in androids (because we all know under 8GB RAM is fine......... until you try gaming; most mobile games require 4GB RAM to run on max details), but its literally everything else that makes androids better. CAMERAS INCLUDED

Apple still hasn't managed to get past 12MP on flagship cameras either, while android sits at a record on smartphones of 48MP.

1 hour ago, EpicWaffles449 said:

I'd like to see a flagship iPhone hit a 2.9Ghz boost (SD855+) and last more than a day on a single charge (4000mAh & above) for under $750 and have USB type-c port, but I think we both know that's going to take Apple another 3 years minimum. Apple has been consistently 3 years behind equivalently priced androids for at least 5 years, and you can't argue with that because its just fact. RAM is not where I'm assuming value in androids (because we all know under 8GB RAM is fine......... until you try gaming; most mobile games require 4GB RAM to run on max details), but its literally everything else that makes androids better. CAMERAS INCLUDED

Even among ARM CPUs, MHz by itself does not guage performance with any sort of accuracy when comparing different architectures. (And here I thought this was a learned lesson back in the Pentium 4 days).

Details of the architecture; issue width, cache subsystems, OoO buffer and execution, integer and floating-point resources and their utilization, and clock speed (most probably not a comprehensive list, but hopefully gives you the idea) all determine performance. Clock speed is just one factor. Please keep this in mind next time you wish to compare CPUs between one another.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…