ASRock X570 Taichi Sound and Heat

So, I got myself the X570 Taichi. And really its a great board. Except that the chipset runs extremely hot and the fan (before bios update and tweaking) was hitting over 12k rpm. It was louder than the 3 case fans and two AIO fans in my Meshify S2. At idle its sitting at 63C right now and the fan is at 3600 rpm. It gets noticeably louder if I increase the speed to cool it down. 

Newegg also has a no return policy on this board. So I'm basically stuck with it. My problem is that I do game streaming and video recording. The chipset fan is very obvious in the background. So I'm looking for suggestions or relatively easy modifications to the case to try and get more air onto the chipset to cool it better. Any suggestions are very welcome as I'd like to continue to, you know... do what I bought a 300 dollar board to do. 

Mine isn't overheating, its just running hot. A Meshify S2 has excellent air flow in it. Even with the side panel open its still idling at 61-64C without having anything other than chrome open. So, I know its not the case causing the problems. Regardless, I'm more worried about the sound of the fan. This thing sounds like an aircraft taking off. As I stream and record videos, its a problem to have such a loud fan in the background

1 hour ago, GamerTrem said:

So, I got myself the X570 Taichi. And really its a great board. Except that the chipset runs extremely hot and the fan (before bios update and tweaking) was hitting over 12k rpm. 

Well what is it then? In your OP (above) you say that the "Chipset runs extremely hot." Then in your below reply you say:

29 minutes ago, GamerTrem said:

Mine isn't overheating, its just running hot. 

If you watch the video, in the beginning, he shows his results for the Taichi's chipset fan. He declared it inaudible, because again, overheating was not an issue. He could not recreate the issues claimed by other people in the comments section. A quick search brings up the following thread on Reddit:

Seems to be various attempts to fix the issue, some having the issue, some not; even those with the same setups. I'm not going to do the work for you, but there appears to be many attempts at remedying the issue with success. Looks like you are going to have to go the trial and error route, based on what you find in that thread.

GPU was already moved down to not cover the the fan or the USB C front panel port. I noticed that from the start and ensured to leave plenty of airflow over the chipset. I don't have an open air test bench so if I were to put the card onto a riser the airflow to the card would be choked when up against the glass of the case.  I've been looking for similar issues and fixes, and thats why I asked if there are suggestions on easy case modification in order to increase airflow over the chipset. 

So, with the heat of the chipset and the sound the fan makes spinning up to cool it, I'm looking for some alternative fixes or patches to help aid in the cooling of the chipset. Theres also the front mounted 140mm fan with 68.4 CFM pushing air over it. Thats why I'm at a loss of how to cool it better and more quietly. I will continue looking though and see if I can find more alternatives.

8 minutes ago, GamerTrem said:

GPU was already moved down to not cover the the fan or the USB C front panel port. I noticed that from the start and ensured to leave plenty of airflow over the chipset. I don't have an open air test bench so if I were to put the card onto a riser the airflow to the card would be choked when up against the glass of the case.  I've been looking for similar issues and fixes, and thats why I asked if there are suggestions on easy case modification in order to increase airflow over the chipset. 

So, with the heat of the chipset and the sound the fan makes spinning up to cool it, I'm looking for some alternative fixes or patches to help aid in the cooling of the chipset. Theres also the front mounted 140mm fan with 68.4 CFM pushing air over it. Thats why I'm at a loss of how to cool it better and more quietly. I will continue looking though and see if I can find more alternatives.

Did you see this guy's rig?

wTRWwo5.thumb.jpg.54465a708690728f8e9f6c2e85f842de.jpg

Claims the following: 

"Zero issues here with the same board with a 3900x. And I have a heavily overclocked 1080ti sitting above my chipset. I have good case airflow though, with plenty of fresh air blowing through."

Are you sure you haven't overlooked something? 

Its nice that some people don't have this issue, unfortunately I do. Which is why I'm here looking for help, not articles of others who don't have issues. My card is not blocking the chipset fan, I have 140mm fans blowing fresh cool air into the case, all fans are working correctly, all parts are working correctly, but the fan on the chipset is loud. Thats what I'm trying to fix, so I can stream and record without horrible background noise caused by the fan on the motherboard spinning up to cool it. Its possible that I have a wonky board. If thats the case I'll probably find out the hard way over the next few days. Again, I'll keep searching for alternatives and see if I can get ASRock to respond for tech support.

Similar issues. all stock speeds

cooler master H500 with x2 200mm front intake 200mm top exhaust and 120mm rear exhaust. 

Noctura 15SE dual fan blowing to the rear exhaust

PCI dual fan blowing air up.

x570 taichi

3900x 

EVGA black 2070 super

Running Furmark for about 1 hour gets me to about 72-73 on the SB. I also setup a more aggressive fan curve, GPU maxes at 72 during Furmark stress test.

Adding the top and PCI fan did nothing to the temps.

Asrock told me to RMA the board, pretty sure its just bad design though.

I played with the fan curves a lot, but nothing seems to keep the heat down so the fan spins right up. Under 3400 rpm the fan isn't bad. It gets above 4k rpm and it gets much more noticeable. I'll check more with ASRock and see if they think it is bad

Just as an update, I did manage to get the temps down to safer levels. Still idles at 54C and will go up to 72C under heavy load. Lots of playing with fan curves, making other fans in the case more aggressive with their curves, etc. System is louder than I'd like, but thankfully it isn't being picked up easily as long as I talk louder and have music in the background of my streams/videos. Still more than a little frustrated, but its much more reasonable than it was.

It's all about the airflows, if the chipset is getting hot air, obviously will have trouble dissipating the heat.

I remember seeing a Gigabyte rep on Reddit say that it is safe for the chipset to go up to 85C.

• 2 weeks later...

I was really hoping to get this board, (finally thunderbolt 3 compatibility with AMD!!)

Could anyone recommend a good case for this mobo then?

On 8/12/2019 at 5:28 AM, camjocotem said:

I was really hoping to get this board, (finally thunderbolt 3 compatibility with AMD!!)

Could anyone recommend a good case for this mobo then?

It depends on what you're using it for. If you're not streaming or recording audio, the mobo is just fine. You'll have to play with fan curves and ensure you have good air flow in the case. Typically something with mesh front. Fractal Design Meshify cases are great. Rosewill even has some great cases with good air flow.