The Original Steel LAN Shelf - LTX 2019

Justin_

hey guys, I've been talking about this a lot in the Discord but I thought I'd share it on the form as a way to archive it to the internet. A number of months ago people started talking about LAN shelves. At the time I have no idea what they were but I started looking into them and thought it would be fun to bring one to LTX. A few weeks later I was thinking about it and realized that since my boss just bought a plasma cutter table I could make something really cool out of steel. A couple more weeks went by and I made up a blueprint to cut it out with. I then figured out I could fit two of them on a 4-ft by 8-ft sheet of steel and figured they'd be decently strong from 10 gauge material (it turned out that 10 gauge was great. It's a bit on the heavy side but this thing is freaking invincible. You can stand on it jump on it do whatever you want and it'll be perfect). a few weeks later I bought that sheet of steel for about $165 and here we are now a couple days after that and a few days before LTX and I got to cut it out. There was an error in cutting one of the pieces out so I only ended up with one usable LAN shelf which is unfortunate but it's still enough for just me, maybe I'll make more to sell next year. Anyway I think it looks great, tell me what you guys think. The top photos are all of what I made and the photo at the bottom is the LAN shelf I got my inspiration from. Feel free to ask questions. Originally I was going to powder coat it LMG orange but I didn't have time for that in the end. I'm not really disappointed though because I still think it looks pretty dang awesome just as raw steel. The best part is it isn't welded together at all, it just is all slid together. With that all the pieces come apart so it's flat and easy to store and transport, but once it's put together it's damn near invincible.

Please do correct me if I'm wrong but looking around the internet I can't find any other steel LAN shelf so I'm going to claim this to be the internet's first steel LAN shelf.

IMG_20190720_174627.thumb.jpg.15c24a5367ba6b9a8c449be21da265d8.jpg

IMG_20190720_174602.thumb.jpg.38bd91ab5a46b14965eb2d534163639e.jpg

IMG_20190720_174636.thumb.jpg.e40beaf1d73008ffd3907ed501c28e00.jpg

MVIMG_20190720_174631.thumb.jpg.3eb8603acf013f2b294b9bdac77010f1.jpgBwVS0ac.thumb.jpg.f47dcf4e13b35dd787577915aeba0bdd.jpg

Please "Quote" me if you want me to see your response.

I don't do LANs, so what's the point of a LAN shelf exactly? Looks awesome by the way, I kinda like the rugged steel look.

5 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

I don't do LANs, so what's the point of a LAN shelf exactly? Looks awesome by the way, I kinda like the rugged steel look.

You only get 3 ft worth of desk space so the point of a LAN shelf is to free up more space by putting your desktop above your monitor. It also helps to prop your desktop up higher to show it off if you have cool water cooling or something.

44 minutes ago, Justin_ said:

At the time I have no idea what they were but I started looking into them and thought it would be fun to bring one to LTX.

Admits they didn't know what it was originally, doesn't explain their purpose in post...

1 minute ago, imreloadin said:

Admits they didn't know what it was originally, doesn't explain their purpose in post...

Honestly I thought everyone but myself knew what they were for. Also I just explained it in the comment right above yours.