We Destr… Hydro Dipped a $1200 GPU!

nicklmg

LTT video: *gets posted in Full HD*

Me: Screen_Shot_2019-01-17_at_4.22.43_PM.jpg

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

#MuricaParrotGang

The meme thread

All of my image memes are made with GIMP.

My specs are crap but if you are interested:

Spoiler

The meme-making machine - Optiplex 780:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHz

GPU: NVidia Quadro FX 580

RAM: 2 GB

SSD: Non-existent

HDD: 1 TB

Laptop: HP 255 G7

CPU: Ryzen 5 3500U

GPU: Radeon Vega 8

RAM: 8 GB

SSD: 500 GB NVMe

I have never seen hydro dipping done with spray paints...

I usually use oil paints, and drip them in with a pipette/spoon or similar. (also likely has far better control over the end result compared to spray cans...)

This looks incredibly cool. I think it'd look great if I tried the same thing with my system, make it look exotic without breaking the bank or spending tonnes on rainbow barf. I might look a bit further into it...

Pretty much anything large or small can be painted if it can be taken apart (GPU, case, monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, gaming chair, etc...) The bigger problem is the paint's ability to not wear off over time from touching and handling the thing, and also it's ability to not come off where the part may come in contact with heat such as two GPU's inside a case with piss poor airflow.

I've painted stuff before without primer or clear coat and it's still looking good 4 years later, although I almost never touch the items and they remain in a very well cooled and dust free case. All I really did was just wipe them down well and make sure they were clean before spraying.

Another consideration is tolerances since the layer of paint does add to the thickness of the part you are applying it to, so putting it back together for pieces that have a very precise fit can be a challenge. You may want to carefully take the paint off those areas if that's the case.

While I wouldn't recommend hydro dipping an entire motherboard, you could definitely paint one. Apply a generous layer of conformal coating to the entire PCB front+back, plug up all the slots and ports for ingress protection (Vaseline works great here) and go at it. It's one way to dress up a boring server board too or give it that stealthy look if you go with a matte black paint.

That color scheme reminds me that Linus once said he'd probably be a kindergarten teacher if he hadn't gotten into tech. 

And this video proves he'd be great at it! Arts-and-crafts day with Mr. Sebastian. ?