Never seen this before, an i5 not compatible with dedicated GPU?

Ary

Hello! I really hope someone can give me an answer, like 3/4 years ago a friend bought a prebuilt system:

• CPU:     i5 4440
  • MOBO: ECS H81
  • RAM:    4 GB Kingston value
  • HDD:    500 GB WD Blue
  • PSU:     generic 450w
  • CASE:   generic

(I want to make an appointment, all the parts we tested from other builds were correctly working previously in it's respect systems).

So time after he decided to upgrade it, so he bought a GTX 960+EVGA 500w power supply, BUT something weird happened, the computer randomly restarted no matter what do you do, it could be: less than 5 secs you log into windows, whatching YouTube, playing games(not all, some games that demand little GPU power made it restart), with ms office, watching movies, i think even in idle(it had no consistency on usage time, it could be 5 mins or 4 hours).

Tried reinstalling windows (with windows 8.1 and windows 10).

We thought it might be the PSU, so he bought an Antec VP500P, just to see that the same day it restarted. I gave him my Antec VP550F that was fully working in my system at the time(i5 3330+GTX 760+h61 mobo) but AGAIN it restarted.

It may be the the motherboard, so we changed it for a MSI H81M-P33, tried factory settings, disabling power efficiency settings, etc.

Then trying luck with a Cougar MX idk well the model case, but didn't work.

Tried with his brother HDD.

Lastly changed the RAM for another 4GB Kingston value he had from a previous system, also bought a 8GB single stick from another friend system.

A friend recommended changing the HDMI cable, so he bought an expensive asf cable but the pc STILL restarted.

Also we tried in my house with my GTX 760 + my PSU in his (literally) new PC (new msi mobo + new RAM + new HDMI), but no matter what it restarted!!

That PC made me truly angry, the only way that thing didn't restart was without a dedicated GPU.

In total we changed:

• CPU:     i5 4440
  • MOBO: ECS H81 --------------------------> H81M-P33
  • GPU:    not included in prebuilt ----> GTX 960 ---> GTX 760(mine)
  • RAM:    4 GB Kingston value --------> another 4GB Kingdom value from previous system --> 8GB Novatech from a friend system
  • HDD:    500 GB WD Blue ---------------> his brother HDD
  • PSU:     generic 450w -------------------> EVGA 500W ----> Antec VP500P ---> Antec VP550F(mine)
  • CASE:   generic ----------------------------> Cougar case

Welcome

That's weird.  It could be a faulty CPU but also a driver issue.  Seeing as you changed HDDs, I assume you also did a clean install at some point.  In that case I'm leaning more towards a hardware problem (the CPU itself).

Try replacing that 4440 with any other LGA1150 CPU and see if it still happens.  That's the only way to be sure that it is indeed the CPU itself that's causing this.

1 hour ago, Daniel Z. said:

Did you uninstall the Intel graphics drivers with DDU?

Never installed those when using the 760 and 960

1 hour ago, Captain Chaos said:

Welcome

That's weird.  It could be a faulty CPU but also a driver issue.  Seeing as you changed HDDs, I assume you also did a clean install at some point.  In that case I'm leaning more towards a hardware problem (the CPU itself).

Try replacing that 4440 with any other LGA1150 CPU and see if it still happens.  That's the only way to be sure that it is indeed the CPU itself that's causing this.

I did even 2 times in one HDD(w 8.1 and w10), i don't have another 1150 CPU, and I think buying another one it's a waste since it's very expressive where I live, maybe a Celeron

So just to double check, the computer doesn't restart when you use the igpu? that's pretty strange...If that is the case, then I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the cpu but it might be worth a shot to try to change it out with something else.

Another idea is to disable the onboard gpu in bios and see how that goes...If it doesn't work, you should be able to go back in the bios and re-enable the onboard gpu. 

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

42 minutes ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

So just to double check, the computer doesn't restart when you use the igpu? that's pretty strange...If that is the case, then I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the cpu but it might be worth a shot to try to change it out with something else.

Another idea is to disable the onboard gpu in bios and see how that goes...If it doesn't work, you should be able to go back in the bios and re-enable the onboard gpu. 

Are you sure is not the CPU? It's the only thing we didn't changed, what else you suggest could try?, Already done the non igpu thing, no good results

3 hours ago, Ary said:

Are you sure is not the CPU? It's the only thing we didn't changed, what else you suggest could try?, Already done the non igpu thing, no good results

Considering that this only happens when you install the dedicated gpu, yes. However, like i said, it is worth the shot just to make sure. 

Also you did do a fresh reinstall of windows & then put the gpu in after right?

2 hours ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

Considering that this only happens when you install the dedicated gpu, yes. However, like i said, it is worth the shot just to make sure. 

Also you did do a fresh reinstall of windows & then put the gpu in after right?

Yess its only with dedicated GPU, he gave that computer to his dad (without GPU) like a year ago and since then never restarted.

When reinstalled Windows I did it with the GTX960 on, why do I put it after?

1 hour ago, Ary said:

Yess its only with dedicated GPU, he gave that computer to his dad (without GPU) like a year ago and since then never restarted.

When reinstalled Windows I did it with the GTX960 on, why do I put it after?

Very strange to be very honest. 

Never mind about that, I was just wondering if the re installation of windows was a "fresh-brand new" install.