Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So I have just recently moved into a house with 2 wall-mounted speakers. I have no idea how to connect to them, but there is this port that is in the same room with them. Can anyone tell me how to use these two ports or if they even are for the speakers?

image1.thumb.jpeg.7a6e6e0e9fb5c0eda15dc5d1cdea9d8e.jpeg

They're probably phone lines.

Main Desktop - CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition | RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks Eclipse P350x | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Keyboard: Redragon K556 | Monitors: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

Laptop: Motile M141 - CPU: Ryzen 3 3200U | GPU: Vega 3 igpu | RAM: 8gb DDR4 2400MHz | STORAGE: 120GB SATA M.2 | OS: Windows 10 Home

There's an empty hole next to it with a visible red wire. Could that be it?

1 minute ago, RollinLower said:

looks like a phone line to me. for oldschool dial up modems and ofcourse a phone

1 minute ago, TrainFan2019 said:

They look like phone lines to me...

(not original poster) I've always known phone lines as having four connections, while these seem to have six. Are phone lines perhaps different in the US from Europe?

1 minute ago, immaguy1234 said:

There's an empty hole next to it with a visible red wire. Could that be it?

Possibly, but I would personally expect there to be some sort of port connected to the wire. Do you know who you bought the house from, or is there some kind of person that manages houses or whatever to ask this to?

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

5 minutes ago, TomvanWijnen said:

(not original poster) I've always known phone lines as having four connections, while these seem to have six. Are phone lines perhaps different in the US from Europe?

not that i know of, tough there are different kinds of phone line. you have RJ10 that's 4 connections, and RJ12 that's 6. i'm sure there are others too. i'm from europe aswell (hup, holland hup) but we always had the 4 connection kind too.

EDIT: on second look at OP's pic, it seems like it is RJ10 too, tough with only the 4 inner connections populated, but i could be mistaken.

-Phoenix-  -VouwFabriek-

BlackMac Woody Clack Virtuality Lil'Lad Plot-Device

all your proteins are belong to us.

Maybe it's for an intercom or something?

Main Desktop - CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition | RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks Eclipse P350x | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Keyboard: Redragon K556 | Monitors: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

Laptop: Motile M141 - CPU: Ryzen 3 3200U | GPU: Vega 3 igpu | RAM: 8gb DDR4 2400MHz | STORAGE: 120GB SATA M.2 | OS: Windows 10 Home

Looks like  Rj-12 cause it have 6 "pins". Or Rj-11.

Probably for a  phones with several lines.

Sometimes these connectors are used in audio for a remote, but these are probably phone lines. 

[EDIT]
further thought that the gauge would be too small to pass audio and unnecessary complex. Those are probably extension numbers too.

Just because there are 6 pins in the port doesn't mean they are all connected. I've seen it before where you pull off the cover and only two or four wires are there. I'd also wager that the written numbers on the label are the last four digits of the phone numbers which used to be linked there. 

Any pics of the speakers themselves? If this is an old house they may have been for a doorbell intercom or a built in radio system. Any chance you could pull the speakers out of the wall and see what wires are connected to them?

On 7/18/2019 at 10:07 PM, RollinLower said:

not that i know of, tough there are different kinds of phone line. you have RJ10 that's 4 connections, and RJ12 that's 6. i'm sure there are others too. i'm from europe aswell (hup, holland hup) but we always had the 4 connection kind too.

EDIT: on second look at OP's pic, it seems like it is RJ10 too, tough with only the 4 inner connections populated, but i could be mistaken.

I once received an RJ45 phone line. It came with a router that was sent by an ISP. (quite an annoying move, as it obviously didn't fit in my wall socket) I'm guessing these kinds of lines might be for enterprise use with multiple/high capacity telephone systems. 

23 hours ago, floofer said:

further thought that the gauge would be too small to pass audio and unnecessary complex. Those are probably extension numbers too.

That kind of depends on the speakers. Most home speakers could easily be used on phone lines. I'd say they're fine for anything <75 watts. However, there are too many wires present for the number of speakers, and I've never seen anyone use phone lines for speakers.

57 minutes ago, akio123008 said:

That kind of depends on the speakers. Most home speakers could easily be used on phone lines. I'd say they're fine for anything <75 watts. However, there are too many wires present for the number of speakers, and I've never seen anyone use phone lines for speakers.

More like fine for <15W. Its around the size used in laptop speakers. 

Just now, floofer said:

More like fine for <15W. Its around the size used in laptop speakers. 

Right but that doesn't mean you can't use it for more. The current on my 4 ohm 65 watt speakers never exceeds 5 amps or so, which would work with a phone line.

2 minutes ago, akio123008 said:

Right but that doesn't mean you can't use it for more. The current on my 4 ohm 65 watt speakers never exceeds 5 amps or so, which would work with a phone line.

5 amps would be pretty nominal. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Its 24 Gauge, probably only rated for about 2 amps. 

10 minutes ago, floofer said:

5 amps would be pretty nominal. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Its 24 Gauge, probably only rated for about 2 amps. 

Yes, but of course, I don't know what kind of guy has installed this. The rating of the wire may not have been any of his concerns.

Edit: again, I don't think it is used for the speakers though, I;ve never seen phone line sockets/lines being used for speakers