Takstar HI 2050 Headphone [Overview/First look + Video]

dylandylandylan

Hey guys!

I was talking to a few forum members the other night and saying how I was going to purchase a few sets of headphones from Takstar - from what I can tell, they're an OEM from China, and the main reason why I purchased the 2050 in particular was because they looked similar to DT770s, but minus the $350 NZD price tag. So how do these stack up against other headphones for $60NZD? 

m4RnShp.jpg

I'll get the specs out of the way first :)

Type: Wired, open design
Transducer Principle: Dynamic
Wearing Style: Head worn
Frequency Response: 15Hz-25kHz
Sensitivity: 92dB±3dB
Driver Diameter: 53mm
Max.Input Power: 500mW
Rated Power: 250mW
Impedance: 60ohm
Connector: stereo 3.5mm + 6.3mm gold plated
Cable:4mm x 2.2m + 1.8m extension cable
Net Weight: 325g

64r8rQ9.jpg

S1r0JUg.jpg

They are only 65g heavier than the HD558s that I currently own, but I can feel their presence on my head a lot more, not sure if it's the clamping force that is affecting me, or the weight. 

I haven't had enough time to justify doing a sound review vs my HD558s or others, but at the moment, they are a very fun headphone. Not as comfortable as I'd like, as the clamping force is actually relatively strong. For EDM tracks this headphone has pretty good bass, but it seems a lot muddier compared to pricier headphones, which is expected. I find listening to tracks that have a lot of bass suits this headphone quite well, instead of listening to rock/metal. I haven't tested these headphones using my on board audio, or using my smartphone, I have been listening to it through a FiiO E17, but I will see what they're like using on board audio etc in the next week or so.

qIVtQEc.jpg

zDsKpHO.jpg

RgLXwEh.jpg

Frequency response for all you graph nerds out there ;)

c5LIXMv.gif

The overall build quality is pretty good, the headband is completely plastic, with a "pleather" cushioning. In my opinion, it's the only part of this headphone that looks cheap. The braided cable running from the drivers up into the band is a nice touch too, along with the thick cable that runs down to a 3.5mm male connector.

Correction about the headband:

DJScope, on 01 Aug 2014 - 11:55 AM, said:snapback.png

Just a heads up. The headband is actually made out of stainless steel. The things that hold the aluminium cup bracket and the headband is plastic.

Also, if you think the packaging is great with the Hi2050, you should see the packaging for the Takstar Pro 80.

For all of you guys that like watching stuff, here's my video detailing my unboxing and first thoughts on this pair of headphones. Thanks guys.

Overall, in my first couple of days of owning this, I'd recommend it for the price point, it's a very fun headphone when you're on a budget. I will report back later when I've used it for a little bit longer :)

#!

-snip-

+1 for frequency response graph.

Personally I still haven't changed my opinion about the 25$ JVC S400 or the 60$ JVC S500 as the best fun budget headphones though. They have yet to find their match, and i'm not the only one to say that!

Edited by Blade of Grass
Removed Quote of OP

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Personally I still haven't changed my opinion about the 25$ JVC S400 or the 60$ JVC S500 as the best fun budget headphones though. They have yet to find their match, and i'm not the only one to say that!

I haven't checked them out yet, I'll be sure to though and compare!

#!

I haven't checked them out yet, I'll be sure to though and compare!

The JVC S400 are available for 26$ or 28$ (depending on color) on Amazon US, but the S500 need to be imported from Japan, which is why there is such a large price difference. 

Edit: you live in New Zealand, so I don't know where you could get them from. Your best bet would probably be to import them from Japan using tenso, because it will cost less than using a retailer such as amazon or ebay which marks up import prices. You have to use amazon Japan and a service called tenso which will forward your package from Japan to wherever you live. Shipping is not exorbitant at all if you use tenso, and their fees are quite low... Head-fi has many explanations on using tenso for imports.

The JVC S400 are available for 26$ or 28$ (depending on color) on Amazon US, but the S500 need to be imported from Japan, which is why there is such a large price difference. 

Edit: you live in New Zealand, so I don't know where you could get them from. Your best bet would probably be to import them from Japan using tenso, because it will cost less than using a retailer such as amazon or ebay which marks up import prices. You have to use amazon Japan and a service called tenso which will forward your package from Japan to wherever you live. Shipping is not exorbitant at all if you use tenso, and their fees are quite low... Head-fi has many explanations on using tenso for imports.

I think I'll try and source them locally through a friend who gets international headphones rather quickly and on sells them, hey, if I'm paying $5 more, it's fine for the convenience :) 

#!

Why the hell did you just quote a half page long review just to write that...

Why the hell did you just quote a half page long review just to write that...

There doesn't seem to be any other way to notify another user but quote.

So after a while of using these headphones for everything, including gaming, portability, using them on my onboard etc I have come to a conclusion.

They're a good headphone for the price, but, if you think you're going to get Beyerdynamic levels of comfort, your mistaken. I can handle about two or three hours of continuous clamping force on my head, but my inner ears get sore, I'm sure a different/custom pad setup would solve this, but I thought the beautiful velour pads would have shown a comfort level similar to my HD558s.

My on board audio had no issue driving these headphones, but if you want to listen to music very loud, which I tend to do, then an amped solution is brilliant. I was using the FiiO E17 both with my smartphone and my PC in this case. It reacts beautifully to having the bass EQ'd up, so I'd say that these headphones are perfect for the EDM genre. It doesn't get too muddy unless the bass is EQ'd up way too high, it doesn't drown out the rest of the sound.

I don't recommend these headphones for people that enjoy metal though, I get a lot more clarity out of my HD558s, but that's expected from a pair of headphones that are 250 dollars+ more. 

I will be picking up some more budget orientated headphones in the future for comparison between them, but other than the comfort issues that I faced, they're a decent pair of entry level cans for less than $43 USD.

Any questions feel free to ask, I'll put together a re visit video in the future sometime.

#!

• 3 weeks later...

Damn, that packaging!

I know right! I didn't expect that much attention to detail and packaging from such a low list price.. I know it'd be cheap as chips for them to produce, but it's a nice touch.

#!

I know right! I didn't expect that much attention to detail and packaging from such a low list price.. I know it'd be cheap as chips for them to produce, but it's a nice touch.

Packaging actually adds a lot to the cost.

Packaging actually adds a lot to the cost.

Oh really? News to me, well kudos to them for having awesome packaging for such a cheap product, from handling their other products, they're all like that. The takstar pro-80s come in a metal carrying case for less than $70 US too, pretty cool!

#!

• 1 month later...

For all the people that have found this review through an exterior source, and are signing up just to ask me a question about these headphones, just PM me, or drop a comment on the YouTube videos, I'm not as active on the forum as I once was because of university, but I'm still lurking ;)

#!

I just put up a revisit video, for all that might be interested,

I also have gotten access to a blue yeti pro, so sound quality is a lot better in my opinion :)

#!

• 4 months later...

Hey guys!

I was talking to a few forum members the other night and saying how I was going to purchase a few sets of headphones from Takstar - from what I can tell, they're an OEM from China, and the main reason why I purchased the 2050 in particular was because they looked similar to DT770s, but minus the $350 NZD price tag. So how do these stack up against other headphones for $60NZD? 

I'll get the specs out of the way first :)

Type: Wired, open design
Transducer Principle: Dynamic
Wearing Style: Head worn
Frequency Response: 15Hz-25kHz
Sensitivity: 92dB±3dB
Driver Diameter: 53mm
Max.Input Power: 500mW
Rated Power: 250mW
Impedance: 60ohm
Connector: stereo 3.5mm + 6.3mm gold plated
Cable:4mm x 2.2m + 1.8m extension cable
Net Weight: 325g

They are only 65g heavier than the HD558s that I currently own, but I can feel their presence on my head a lot more, not sure if it's the clamping force that is affecting me, or the weight. 

I haven't had enough time to justify doing a sound review vs my HD558s or others, but at the moment, they are a very fun headphone. Not as comfortable as I'd like, as the clamping force is actually relatively strong. For EDM tracks this headphone has pretty good bass, but it seems a lot muddier compared to pricier headphones, which is expected. I find listening to tracks that have a lot of bass suits this headphone quite well, instead of listening to rock/metal. I haven't tested these headphones using my on board audio, or using my smartphone, I have been listening to it through a FiiO E17, but I will see what they're like using on board audio etc in the next week or so.

Frequency response for all you graph nerds out there ;)

The overall build quality is pretty good, the headband is completely plastic, with a "pleather" cushioning. In my opinion, it's the only part of this headphone that looks cheap. The braided cable running from the drivers up into the band is a nice touch too, along with the thick cable that runs down to a 3.5mm male connector.

Just a heads up. The headband is actually made out of stainless steel. The things that hold the aluminium cup bracket and the headband is plastic.

Also, if you think the packaging is great with the Hi2050, you should see the packaging for the Takstar Pro 80.

Ah, so it is!

Yeah, I've just got a hold of the pro 80s today actually! So I'm very excited to be able to do a review on them by next week, or, an overview rather. 

#!

Ah, so it is!

Yeah, I've just got a hold of the pro 80s today actually! So I'm very excited to be able to do a review on them by next week, or, an overview rather. 

Awesome mate! Just watched you vid. Go check out my mod of the Pro 80. I commented the link on your YT video.

• 6 months later...

http://www.head-fi.org/content/type/61/id/728874/width/500/height/1000/flags/LL

Lol this pic is saying that these headphones are the ones to make Japan scared of China's audio industry

Chinese OEMs have made good progress in the IEM sector, but I think they're too busy selling colorful cheap headphones to rebranders to make much progress there.

Chinese OEMs have made good progress in the IEM sector, but I think they're too busy selling colorful cheap headphones to rebranders to make much progress there.

Don't forget FiiO, they sell superb affordable products without extra audiopeel bullshit.

When 2 things meet each other, Quantum stuff happens.

Don't forget FiiO, they sell superb affordable products without extra audiopeel bullshit.

FiiO occasionally releases a good product at the right price, but that's all I'll say.