I need help with upgrading (virgin pc guy)

Bekos

So basically, I don't know quite a lot about computers, but I love gaming and I've had this rig for quite some time already. Last year I upgraded my Monitor to UWHD and I knew, that with that I won't be able to run a lot of games anymore. So I was thinking of just getting a new graphics card (rtx 2070 super maybe?) since im running a gtx 970 currently and also upgrade ram to 16gb. But I'm still not sure if this is a good or really stupid idea. What im worried about is my old processor, even though it's still holding on very good and Iv'e read that the i5 2500k is already a legend considering the age and the work that it gets done. 

Also, I don't know what is compatible and what not when it comes to pc gear. 

I'd love to hear some advice from you. And I'm already very thankful for every answer !

Greetings Bekos

DxDiag.txt

I've looked for 1080ti regularly over the last half year, but I could'nt find a single card below 700€ on 2nd hand and the 1080s are about 650€ currently, so the super is still 150€ cheaper 

Okay, so if i go for nvidia, which processor is good right now ? also do I have to upgrade my motherboard too or won't it matter ? 

21 minutes ago, Bekos said:

I've looked for 1080ti regularly over the last half year, but I could'nt find a single card below 700€ on 2nd hand and the 1080s are about 650€ currently, so the super is still 150€ cheaper 

Okay, so if i go for nvidia, which processor is good right now ? also do I have to upgrade my motherboard too or won't it matter ? 

Upgrading your CPU would probably require a couple other upgrades. I would reccomend the AMD Ryzen 5 2600 or 3600. However, you would have to buy a new motherboard with an AM4 socket. Here I would reccomend the MSI B450 Tomahawk. Depending on how much memory you have and its speed, you nay have to upgrade that as well. 16GB of DDR4-3200MHz seems a good choice. 

Sadly, this would cost a lot, but if you can afford it, then it should be worth the upgrade.

Remember the to tag or quote people, otherwise they won't see your reply. 

1 hour ago, Catchears said:

Upgrading your CPU would probably require a couple other upgrades. I would reccomend the AMD Ryzen 5 2600 or 3600. However, you would have to buy a new motherboard with an AM4 socket. Here I would reccomend the MSI B450 Tomahawk. Depending on how much memory you have and its speed, you nay have to upgrade that as well. 16GB of DDR4-3200MHz seems a good choice. 

Sadly, this would cost a lot, but if you can afford it, then it should be worth the upgrade.

Remember the to tag or quote people, otherwise they won't see your reply. 

So that basically means I'll need Motherboard, cpu, Graphics card, and ram  ... well okay I knew it would come to this eventually one day ^^ ...  so when it comes to the processor, it doesnt matter if I have an amd or intel chip if i have the right socket right ?

so Would that be an okay setup then ?

Graphics : Rtx 2070 super

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600 

Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk

and then the ram sticks 16GB of DDR4-3200MHz whatever i get 

also what about cooling ? what would i need for the cpu ?

thank you for your really fast answers , I really appreciate it ! 

43 minutes ago, Bekos said:

So that basically means I'll need Motherboard, cpu, Graphics card, and ram  ... well okay I knew it would come to this eventually one day ^^ ...  so when it comes to the processor, it doesnt matter if I have an amd or intel chip if i have the right socket right ?

so Would that be an okay setup then ?

Graphics : Rtx 2070 super

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600 

Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk

and then the ram sticks 16GB of DDR4-3200MHz whatever i get 

also what about cooling ? what would i need for the cpu ?

thank you for your really fast answers , I really appreciate it ! 

I assume given your experience level you are planning on running everything stock.  I’ve heard that for the most part the wraith cooler than comes with your R5 is sufficient.  But you are going to want to make sure you have good airflow in your case as you are dumping a lot more heat into it 

48 minutes ago, Glassthegrey said:

I assume given your experience level you are planning on running everything stock.  I’ve heard that for the most part the wraith cooler than comes with your R5 is sufficient.  But you are going to want to make sure you have good airflow in your case as you are dumping a lot more heat into it 

I'll probably upgrade my case too, so I don't get so much dust inside, will case fans do the thing? Like a set 

So with all the stuff currently :

Rtx 2070 super 

AMD ryzen 5 3600

Msi b450 tomahawk 

16gb ddr4 3200mhz 

Corsair carbide spec omega 

1013€ for me, but I didn't add the discounts yet which are about - 100€ 

I'm coming to 1013€ 

What do you guys think, solid pc or would you change stuff? 

1 hour ago, Bekos said:

So with all the stuff currently :

Rtx 2070 super 

AMD ryzen 5 3600

Msi b450 tomahawk 

16gb ddr4 3200mhz 

Corsair carbide spec omega 

1013€ for me, but I didn't add the discounts yet which are about - 100€ 

I'm coming to 1013€ 

What do you guys think, solid pc or would you change stuff? 

What's your power supply looking like? Also at this point you might as well build a new PC. Can you give us a budget and location? Also what resolution and fps you want to achieve for your games.

I'm just going to assume you don't have an SSD and put one in as your boot drive.

You can use your current storage in the new build as well

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($199.00 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($114.89 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($79.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Storage: Crucial - MX500 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($39.70 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB XC GAMING Video Card  ($529.99 @ B&H) 
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1153.55
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-16 11:55 EDT-0400

Here's one using the new Radeon card as well it's cheaper than the 2070 super and roughly equal to vanilla 2070.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($79.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Video Card: XFX - Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB Video Card  ($399.99 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1023.55
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-16 11:57 EDT-0400

4 minutes ago, celerystruct said:

What's your power supply looking like? Also at this point you might as well build a new PC. Can you give us a budget and location? Also what resolution and fps you want to achieve for your games.

Well yeah, ?

So 1000-1100€ are okay i guess 

Location Austria so Europe 

3440x1440 at about 100fps in games like Battlefield 5 etc, Arma 3 just nice and steady frames I'm okay with, squad 60fps, I can't even run rainbow six right now steady, or Apex on low 

2 minutes ago, celerystruct said:

I'm just going to assume you don't have an SSD and put one in as your boot drive.

You can use your current storage in the new build as well

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB XC GAMING Video Card  ($529.99 @ B&H) 
Total: $1153.55
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-16 11:55 EDT-0400

Here's one using the new Radeon card as well it's cheaper than the 2070 super and roughly equal to vanilla 2070.

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: XFX - Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB Video Card  ($399.99 @ B&H) 
Total: $1023.55
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-16 11:57 EDT-0400

Thank you, :) I have an 256gb ssd and 750watt powersupply I believe so that's good I guess 

1 minute ago, Bekos said:

Thank you, :) I have an 256gb ssd and 750watt powersupply I believe so that's good I guess 

I was wondering more about the quality of your powersupply.

Do you know the brand and make?

4 minutes ago, Bekos said:

3440x1440 at about 100fps in games like Battlefield 5 etc, Arma 3 just nice and steady frames I'm okay with, squad 60fps, I can't even run rainbow six right now steady, or Apex on low 

iirc, I think you need a 2080 to do 1440p at around 100hz. But you could probably do with the other gpus on med to high settings.

1 hour ago, celerystruct said:

iirc, I think you need a 2080 to do 1440p at around 100hz. But you could probably do with the other gpus on med to high settings.

I'll write when I get home :)

Okay don't you think the 2070 super will be enough? Or should I go for more power? 

2 hours ago, Bekos said:

I'll write when I get home :)

Okay don't you think the 2070 super will be enough? Or should I go for more power? 

Whatever you can afford man. How about this?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qXYxnH

But if you are fine with high to mid settings then 2070 super will be fine.

On 7/16/2019 at 10:42 PM, Catchears said:

Whatever you can afford man. How about this?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qXYxnH

But if you are fine with high to mid settings then 2070 super will be fine.

I'm so sorry I didn't write back anymore I had a small accident and had to go to the hospital buuut that means I can spend more time in front of the pc which is nice ?anyways 

The list you send looks nice and I would also be fine with getting a 2080 :)but why does the pc part picker cry about compatibility? is this serious or is it just that it Could be a problem, but that doesn't have to apply to these particular parts that you sent? 

Also I'll send you the exact power supply soon 

Thank you all I really appreciate your support :)

1 minute ago, Bekos said:

I'm so sorry I didn't write back anymore I had a small accident and had to go to the hospital buuut that means I can spend more time in front of the pc which is nice ?anyways 

The list you send looks nice and I would also be fine with getting a 2080 :)but why does the pc part picker cry about compatibility? is this serious or is it just that it Could be a problem, but that doesn't have to apply to these particular parts that you sent? 

Also I'll send you the exact power supply soon 

Thank you all I really appreciate your support :)

It means that youll have to flash the BIOS, but that is rather simple and there are plenty of tutorials for it online. The Tomahawk has a BIOS flashback button, so you wont need a ryzen 1000 or 2000 cpu to do that.

Just as a thought, if you have a couple extra dollars, you could upgrade the MoBo to the MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC.

On 7/17/2019 at 2:12 AM, Catchears said:

Looks decent, but not good enough...

11 minutes ago, Bekos said:

Build something like this instead...

You can swap that 2070 super with a 5700xt

PCPartPicker Part List <-- PCPP LINK in USD

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard  
Memory: G.Skill - Sniper X 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  
Storage: HP - EX920 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  
Video Card: MSI - GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB VENTUS OC Video Card 
Case: Corsair - Carbide Series 275R ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: Cooler Master - MWE Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply 

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

1 hour ago, VEXICUS said:

Isn't that super more powerful than the 5700xt?  What about the 2080 in comparison to both of these, would you rather prefer it than these other two? 

Also if I read into topics, like flashing or overclocking that's no problem for me, like I don't mind doing some changes or really getting into the topic :)

2 minutes ago, Bekos said:

Isn't that super more powerful than the 5700xt?  What about the 2080 in comparison to both of these, would you rather prefer it than these other two? 

Also if I read into topics, like flashing or overclocking that's no problem for me, like I don't mind doing some changes or really getting into the topic :)

Yes, 2070 super is slightly faster than 5700xt. But you shouldnt forget that the 5700xt is $100 cheaper than 2070 super.

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

33 minutes ago, Bekos said:

I hv recommended an x570 board. So no bios flashing is required.

Processor will work right out of the box. Still I'll recommend you to flash the latest bios.

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

On 7/16/2019 at 6:07 PM, celerystruct said:

I guess I'll also need a powersupply xD

Also I think I'll go with more power than 5700xt probably ?

IMG_20190718_142208.jpg

On 7/18/2019 at 11:51 AM, VEXICUS said:

I hv recommended an x570 board. So no bios flashing is required.

Processor will work right out of the box. Still I'll recommend you to flash the latest bios.

okay my budget also allows a 2080 now :D so thats nice i guess 

Another question I have is :

How much does it matter, which case I pick ? do 3-4 degrees Celsius matter that much ? Are you rather after aestethics or performance when it comes to pc casing ?

Edited by Bekos

On 7/16/2019 at 12:32 PM, starcoaster said:

you're probably going to have to upgrade that CPU eventually, but for UWHD a 1080 would do fine and will be cheaper to pick up on the 2nd hand market than a 2070Super. Perhaps even a 1080ti would be cheaper but that depends on your local 2nd hand market.

will a 400Watt powersupply be enough ? ^^ If i upgrade i might aswell go a bit for aestethics right ?