How to tell if I’ve destroyed my mobo?

Odd

First time building a rig and I might have ruined the motherboard by not screwing on the last 3 standoffs. I took it out of the case and powered it up just mobo and cpu focused and I still get the red LED light as shown in the attached photo. 

Is everything there correct? 3 cables plugged in (clipped in), stock cooler running, I can’t think of what else I’m missing.

Its the 3700x if that makes any difference. 

00A2DAEA-4AC8-45A4-9460-C2DBC0DAC2B6.jpeg

The 3700X won't post without a GPU, IIRC

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

Oops. Ok I’ll get that plugged in. When I had it plugged in before I had the same issue but haven’t plugged it in outside the case

The red led is a debug led. There probably is some text right next to the led that will tell you a little more about the problem. 

The text next to the Red LED says CPU

I have 2 pcie cables in the GPU, 2 cpu cables I’m the mobo and the tax cable in. Am I missing any cables?

B72A36DE-6A05-41D2-8444-65B79237679D.jpeg

i dont see where did you connected the cpu fan

the 12v cpu power cable seems to be not properly connected, tje picture is too dark, cant see more

3 minutes ago, Odd said:

The text next to the Red LED says CPU

So still nothing...what have you got going on with those CPU power connectors up top? Are you using CPU cables from the PSU, or one CPU cable and a GPU cable?

Disconnect both of those and connect only the 8-pin CPU cable to the 8-PIN CPU connector, then try again. Leave the auxiliary 4-pin CPU connector open.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

I have the cpu cooler plugged in cpu fan 1. Is that correct?

i pulled the the 4 pins out and just left the 8 pins in but I still get the red LED.

Do I need to be able to get into bios to update it? Because I get a blank monitor but if I leave it on long enough will I get something on screen?

I appreciate you guys trying to help.

67C0DD62-8539-4B08-AB21-2C6FA1E7F80D.jpeg

You need to update the bios so it can work with new cpu. Some users have been succesful with this board others havent according to msi forums and reddit.

"Who are you the King of Siam, you got to get the best one? Who cares? They’re all the same these machines. They’re all made from the same asian suffering." - Louie Season 3 Episode 10, GO WATCH IT NOW.

5 minutes ago, nanox760 said:

You need to update the bios so it can work with new cpu. Some users have been succesful with this board others havent according to msi forums and reddit.

yes, it seems is that, a b450 motherboard without the bios update to handle the r5 3600

Hopefully that’s all I need to do. But I’m not able to get anything on the monitor. So can it be done via usb stick?

Also have I connected the cables to the psu correctly?

7CEA0D5E-EA50-41AD-9A07-09C6C8A2865F.jpeg

about psu, on this motherboard you can install one 8 pin and one 4 pin, you didnt installed the 4 pin, but afik is required on really heavy overclocks

the 24pin seems ok, i dont see the gpu power cables connected there

Thanks for that advice. I will do that but before I do that can I just double check the psu cables are in the right sockets.

Your last comment suggested I’ve put them in the wrong slots. The 2 orange circles highlight the GPU cables. I just slotted them above the text labelled 6+2 PCIe & 4+4 CPU

368E4799-1F8E-46BE-BC0D-C773186D87A7.jpeg

Updating the bios didn’t work