FaceBook to be Fined $5bn USD

20 hours ago, poochyena said:

That would bankrupt the company, sending the stock market crashing, ruining the lives of tens of thousands of people.

I think they should tax 20-50% of the yearly profit for 3-5 years. That way it won't sink the company, but would truly hurt. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

On 7/15/2019 at 12:51 AM, ARikozuM said:

No, it really isn't a decent amount of people.

What would be?

Most commoners aren't going to have any meaningful amount of shares.

Luckily no one suggested they did.

The weak should be protected more than the strong.

You literally just said they shouldn't if its not a "decent amount of people". So, well, which is it?

On 7/15/2019 at 1:38 AM, leadeater said:

They aren't getting punished the company is

They lose money, so they are.

100 billion in long term debt is not that much, AMD has had around 2 billion for a long time

Whats the reference for saying 100 billion isn't a lot? 2 billion isn't for AMD since they have 6 billion in revenue.

You don't not fine a company just because it might hurt the employees or the shareholders

The 2008 recession was caused by a few companies going bankrupt, so yea, sure, if you'd like to have another major recession, fine a company into bankruptcy all you like.

I vote they make Mark apologise like that guy in South Park. 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

37 minutes ago, poochyena said:

The 2008 recession was caused by a few companies going bankrupt, so yea, sure, if you'd like to have another major recession, fine a company into bankruptcy all you like.

Nope, banks over sold.  a few companies going tits up won't cause a GFC,.

Ignore who they say is responsible because depending which article you read they all say it was someone different, however the underlying cause is the same:

https://irle.berkeley.edu/what-really-caused-the-great-recession/

https://www.thebalance.com/the-great-recession-of-2008-explanation-with-dates-4056832

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

thats probably about how much money they saved this year by using tax loop holes guess they are finally getting taxed for a year

I find it sad that this company can shrug a fine higher than my net worth.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

2 hours ago, poochyena said:

Whats the reference for saying 100 billion isn't a lot? 2 billion isn't for AMD since they have 6 billion in revenue.

Simple, Facebook's revenue is 15 billion per quarter and around 2.5 to 5 billion net income per quarter, as noted in another post of mine. With the cash reserves Facebook has, the current zero long term debt liabilities, they could be hit with a 100 billion and be fine, the difference being it would actually really hurt them hence mean something unlike 5 billion.

2 hours ago, poochyena said:

They lose money, so they are.

On 7/15/2019 at 6:38 PM, leadeater said:

both employees and shareholders are always tied to the operating circumstances of the business, there is no avoiding that.

On 7/15/2019 at 6:38 PM, leadeater said:

You don't not fine a company just because it might hurt the employees or the shareholders, that's not how things work or should work. But hey if the shareholders don't like it they could exercise their share in the business to correct the problems that caused the fine in the first place.

Companies should always be punished for laws and regulations they break, and be punished according to the means so it is proportionate to what they can pay so the punishment is both fair and just. 5 billion is not for Facebook, however there are many companies it would be and many where it would be too much.

On 7/14/2019 at 9:00 PM, leadeater said:

I'd like to see fines amount to more than a years profit, maybe 5 years for this. Fines don't work if they don't inflict enough pain.

There should be more liability held by directors and executives. You start handing out some prison sentences and these companies will get shit figured out very fast. 

Nothing says stick the straight and narrow like  the thought of getting an eskimo kiss from a guy named berry.

giphy (3).gif

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz